The Student Room Group

Alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Hi guys I am in my mid twenties and I drink a lot of beer I decide to quit and get into shape. I have heard some of the symptoms that are bad sore even can die from it as stupid as that sounds. But I have Been a heavy drinker and don’t seem last two weeks without alcohol. ATM I have not had beer for half of week and I want to last till the until the end of the month I’m not quitting beer for good I just want to limit my alchol intake and get into a healthy lifestyle.

I just want to know what experiences you guys had with alcohol withdrawal symptoms and can it be dangerous?
How many do you drink a day
Reply 2
How much had you been drinking before stopping?
Reply 3
https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/general-health-effects/alcohol-withdrawal-symptoms

There's a link on this site that directs you to getting advice and support; don't do it all on your own!
Reply 4
Original post by AF2Dr
How much had you been drinking before stopping?

6 beers almost every day and like 8 pints
Original post by Anonymous #1
6 beers almost every day and like 8 pints

6-8 pints a day? so like 12-16 units of alcohol a day? You probably will get withdrawals then, I only have like 5 units of alcohol a day and got mild withdrawals when I stopped for 2 weeks. It depends on your weight how bad they will be though
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #2
6-8 pints a day? so like 12-16 units of alcohol a day? You probably will get withdrawals then, I only have like 5 units of alcohol a day and got mild withdrawals when I stopped for 2 weeks. It depends on your weight how bad they will be though

I won’t die from alcohol withdrawal as I have read symptoms can be dangerous I wouldn’t die from it really but I have been a Heavy drinker but I’m not fat I am in alright body shape
I won’t die from alcohol withdrawal as I have read symptoms can be dangerous I wouldn’t die from it really but I have been a Heavy drinker but I’m not fat I am in alright body shape

Generally, lower body weight means it will take less daily units of alcohol to give withdrawals. I'm like 43kg and got mild withdrawals from stopping when I only had 5 units of alcohol a day
Reply 8
If you can go for two weeks without alcohol, you are clearly not having significant withdrawal symptoms. I would suggest speaking to your GP or looking on google for any organisations local to you that support people with drug and alcohol problems - you can usually self refer. Good luck.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 9
Hi guys I am in my mid twenties and I drink a lot of beer I decide to quit and get into shape. I have heard some of the symptoms that are bad sore even can die from it as stupid as that sounds. But I have Been a heavy drinker and don’t seem last two weeks without alcohol. ATM I have not had beer for half of week and I want to last till the until the end of the month I’m not quitting beer for good I just want to limit my alchol intake and get into a healthy lifestyle.

I just want to know what experiences you guys had with alcohol withdrawal symptoms and can it be dangerous?

What are the symptoms that occur when a person stops drinking....... Do you experience any of those things.

Common symptoms include:

Anxiety or nervousness.

Depression.

Fatigue.

Irritability.

Jumpiness or shakiness.

Mood swings.

Nightmares.

Not thinking clearly.

If so then you'll be best discussing things over with your GP or some local Alcoholic group within your local area you stay in as per Mr black tea in reply 8 to you.
Reply 10
Original post by Tracey_W
What are the symptoms that occur when a person stops drinking....... Do you experience any of those things.

Common symptoms include:

Anxiety or nervousness.

Depression.

Fatigue.

Irritability.

Jumpiness or shakiness.

Mood swings.

Nightmares.

Not thinking clearly.

If so then you'll be best discussing things over with your GP or some local Alcoholic group within your local area you stay in as per Mr black tea in reply 8 to you.

I have developed one or two of those symptoms so I will be speaking to my GP this week. It was shakiness and irritability. So I will be speaking to my GP this week and what they say or if they would provide any medication. To help counter attack the withdrawals I wouldn’t expect anything to get drastically worse so I’m gonna make sure I will see a GP
Reply 11
I have developed one or two of those symptoms so I will be speaking to my GP this week. It was shakiness and irritability. So I will be speaking to my GP this week and what they say or if they would provide any medication. To help counter attack the withdrawals I wouldn’t expect anything to get drastically worse so I’m gonna make sure I will see a GP

Hi
Thanks 👍

I would definitely discuss this matter with your GP when you see them okay and let them decide what treatment they will offer you.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you with the GP appointment.

Quick Reply

Latest