The Student Room Group

The Drinking Culture

I feel like the drinking culture is the forefront of a university's student life, I personally don't get the hype of drinking alcohol, it's not because of religious reasons, but more so, having full and complete autonomy over my own life, not only that, but women are more likely to have their drinks spiked than men are, they are targeted and preyed upon. What's your thoughts on the drinking and drug culture that predominantly affects young people?
My children don't drink 1/2 as much as my generation did when we were younger.
However, there is an issue with prinks / pre-loading before going out when the objective seems to be getting drunk as an objective in itself as opposed to being a by-product of drinking steadily for a longer period.

Neither my daughter nor her friends experienced any spiking nor were they aware of any and they've not graduated that long ago. I do wonder how prevalent it is, hopefully far less than the media would make you believe.
Anon,

I think for first years, there is a lot of pressure to drink and to get drunk and to go out drinking regularly. I think this pressure is peer pressure and comes from wanting to make friends, to not be the odd one out, to not be boring etc...University has been marketed or seen as the best time of your life, and someone how that's been connected with drinking.

Some people are also a lot different when they drink. Alcohol gives them more confidence and makes it easier for them to talk to people. A lot of societies have socials which involve a lot drinking so it can be difficult to be a part of that society without being encouraged to go out drinking.
I think it takes a lot of confidence to know that you can have a good time without getting drunk and that you can make friends without having to be part of an excessive drinking culture.

The University of Huddersfield is a dry campus university. No alcohol is sold onsite, but there are pubs and bars a short distance from the uni. I think this a helpful balance. If people want to go for a drink after class then they can, but there is less pressure as there are lots of places to grab coffee onsite.

I know that when I studied originally, my friends and I use to have dinner parties, movie nights and in general just stay up chatting about the world and our hopes for the future. There was no pressure to drink and it really provided the base to build deep and meaningful friendships.

Maybe it's about changing the way we see university culture.

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield

The University of Huddersfield is a dry campus university. No alcohol is sold onsite, but there are pubs and bars a short distance from the uni.

Wow !
Genuinely shocked at this, as I had no idea it was even a thing. My SU got most of its income from the bar takings and the fruit machines (massive earner)
Do SU events like bands/comedy nights not take place on campus?
Original post by SomeonesDad
Wow !
Genuinely shocked at this, as I had no idea it was even a thing. My SU got most of its income from the bar takings and the fruit machines (massive earner)
Do SU events like bands/comedy nights not take place on campus?

Hi @SomeonesDad our campus is town centre based, and we have quite a few venues that our Students' Union partner with off-site within two minutes walk. Comedy nights are held at the Lawrence Batley Theatre, a beautiful venue built in 1819 just over 100m from the university reception. Just next to the theatre is the Old Courthouse building home to Parish, a 500 person venue. Our campus is dry so we can cater to anyone and everyone but our Students' Union works hard with local venues to ensure that there are quality nightlife options for those interested, in less than a five minute walk from campus :smile:

Best wishes,
Lewis

Social Media and Content Officer, University of Huddersfield
Thanks - interesting to learn of this approach.
Some of the partners might be interested in looking into the Original Small Beer which is a brewery that produces full-tasting beer but under 2.8% alcohol.
Reply 6
It's overstated. The students I teach now don't drink half as much as the students I taught ten years ago, and they didn't drink even a quarter of what I do :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by SomeonesDad
My children don't drink 1/2 as much as my generation did when we were younger.
However, there is an issue with prinks / pre-loading before going out when the objective seems to be getting drunk as an objective in itself as opposed to being a by-product of drinking steadily for a longer period.

Neither my daughter nor her friends experienced any spiking nor were they aware of any and they've not graduated that long ago. I do wonder how prevalent it is, hopefully far less than the media would make you believe.

Sadly my daughter's friends have had drinks spiked.
My daughter drinks shots when out in the hope it reduces the risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending