The Student Room Group

A-level Geology in gap year..

I've been wondering what to do in my gap year, should I take one, and so far I've listed:

AEA Maths
STEP I
Additional Further Maths (FP3, FP4, M3)

But I'm really interested in Geology, and have looked into the A-level course. It looks fascinating, but I'm a bit worried about coursework... (I've looked at OCR). What does it involve, and how would I go about doing it. Obviously I'll be sitting the exams at my college (if they let me, they don't actually offer the course..). Of course, I'll have to ask my college, but what I was mainly wondering is what is the coursework?

P.S. I'm applying for physics, but I'm looking at Cambridge, Edinburgh and St Andrews as my main choices, all of which offer geophysics/earth sciences as side modules/subjects. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I've had a wee look at what the OCR website says about the coursework, but I'm just wondering from current students what it is like. I'm looking at taking all 4 exams in January, then resitting should I need to in June, which is quite insane. I've ordered the textbook from amazon, and will start to study as soon as I have finished my last exam, so would this be enough time? I tried a past paper and could manage a few of the questions, mainly due to the little reading of the subject I have done.
I think it would be a struggle to do the course in one academic year. There is a lot to learn.You'd also need provision for the evaluative and practical tasks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending