The Student Room Group

OU to Brick & Mortar Uni SFE Funding Query

Hi,

I am hoping to study at Stage 1 with the Open University (either 60 or 120 credits depending on what is needed to start on a Uni Course) as a means to then move my study to a brick & mortar university (as geology and fieldwork is very important).

My main question with doing this - is regarding how the funding would play out.

In my mind - I would start the OU course in Feb 2024 and finish in ~Sep 2024. I would then look to apply to universities at this stage.

If I get accepted - this then leaves a ~year gap between finishing the OU course and then starting on another university course.

Does this work with funding - has anyone done something similar?
Hi there. Just to confirm, you will be studying Year 1 at OU, and then will be starting full time in September 2025 to complete the remaining years of the course? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 2
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Just to confirm, you will be studying Year 1 at OU, and then will be starting full time in September 2025 to complete the remaining years of the course? Thanks, Leah.

Hi Leah,

That would be the plan - to spend 1 year at the OU - and then start on a "standard" university course for the remainder.
If all goes to plan - that would be 4 years total (1 OU and 3 Other).

I hope that makes sense.
Original post by lannkyy
Hi Leah,

That would be the plan - to spend 1 year at the OU - and then start on a "standard" university course for the remainder.
If all goes to plan - that would be 4 years total (1 OU and 3 Other).

I hope that makes sense.

Is the course at the OU different from the full time one you would study the next year? If so, do you know what type/level of qualification you would gain from the OU course before you study the full time one? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 4
Original post by Leah SLC
Is the course at the OU different from the full time one you would study the next year? If so, do you know what type/level of qualification you would gain from the OU course before you study the full time one? Thanks, Leah.

Hi Leah,

So - I am hoping to do the first year (Stage 1) of the Open University degree (120 credits - equivalent to a CertHe - although I don't intend to claim the certificate).

I would use this first year/120 credits to then enrol on a "regular" brick and mortar university.
For reference - I would be studying 2 modules (60 credits total) from Feb-Sep 2024 and 1 module (60 credits) from Oct 2024-Jun 2025. I just want to make sure that I would be able to get a loan for my 3 years of brick and mortar uni - as well as the OU stint beforehand.

I hope that makes sense.
Original post by lannkyy
Hi Leah,

So - I am hoping to do the first year (Stage 1) of the Open University degree (120 credits - equivalent to a CertHe - although I don't intend to claim the certificate).

I would use this first year/120 credits to then enrol on a "regular" brick and mortar university.
For reference - I would be studying 2 modules (60 credits total) from Feb-Sep 2024 and 1 module (60 credits) from Oct 2024-Jun 2025. I just want to make sure that I would be able to get a loan for my 3 years of brick and mortar uni - as well as the OU stint beforehand.

I hope that makes sense.

Hi,

Do you have any previous study? Our eligibility for 24/25 won't open till next year when our applications open, which is normally March Time.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi,

Do you have any previous study? Our eligibility for 24/25 won't open till next year when our applications open, which is normally March Time.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire,

Many thanks - only college and a Level 3 apprenticeship - no previous university study.
Original post by lannkyy
Hi Claire,

Many thanks - only college and a Level 3 apprenticeship - no previous university study.

Based on what you have advised you should be fine for finance, but nothing would be definite till you apply and we can check this.

We only take into consideration any Higher Education you have done previously. Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

Applications for 24/25 don't normally open till next year, March time. Keep checking our website/social media channels for further updates.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending