The Student Room Group

Environmental science or environmental geoscience

Hi I'm at the end of year 12 and I am currently studying A-Level Biology, Psychology and German and have done AS Maths. I am thinking about studying something in the field of earth or environmental science.

I am also looking into environmental geoscience but was wondering if this is purely geology based as I would preferably want to study something that encompasses environmental sciences and geology.
Also are there any different career pathways for each degree or do they both lead to similar pathways.

Thanks for any help.
Original post by ellawheeler
Hi I'm at the end of year 12 and I am currently studying A-Level Biology, Psychology and German and have done AS Maths. I am thinking about studying something in the field of earth or environmental science.

I am also looking into environmental geoscience but was wondering if this is purely geology based as I would preferably want to study something that encompasses environmental sciences and geology.
Also are there any different career pathways for each degree or do they both lead to similar pathways.

Thanks for any help.

Hi!

I study environmental science as part of my natural sciences degree so thought I could help a bit.

One thing I noticed when looking at environmental/earth science/geoscience courses in year 12 was that the courses vary dramatically from university to university. Some geoscience and earth science courses are very geology/geophysics focused whereas others are either a lot broader or give you the option to choose modules from environmental science courses as well. I'd definitely recommend looking at various module lists in order to find a course that suits you.

If you're interested in both environmental sciences and geology I'd maybe recommend checking out earth and environmental science courses rather than say just earth science or geoscience? These normally cover a wider range of topics from natural hazards and volcanology to the behaviours of pollutants and atmospheric science, whereas some geoscience courses may focus more on physical geography and geology. This will definitely vary between universities though!

In terms of careers, both environmental science courses and environmental geoscience courses will likely lead to similar career opportunities in fields such as environmental consulting or geological hazard assessment. You may develop certain skills more in one of the two courses, and environmental science may keep a slightly broader range of doors open, for instance with links to careers in conservation. However in my personal experience it's rare for graduate jobs to be massively specific about the exact title of your degree, with many just asking for 'a degree in the environmental sciences' or even just a STEM degree. Unless you have a very specific career in mind, which asks for a particular degree title, your subject choice shouldn't limit you in this regard.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have any more questions,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for your help.

I have looked at the earth and environmental sciences course at Lancaster and am definitely going to apply but I haven't seen any other courses where they do both. Do you know any universities which do this course other than Lancaster?

Also do you have any tips for personal statements for this area as I unfortunately have not been able to any work experience or opportunities which may look good on a personal statement for earth or environmental sciences.

If you have any tips for writing the personal statement for this subject area or know of any opportunities which are still available it would really help.

Thank you again.
Hello!

That's great you're considering Lancaster! In terms of other universities doing this course I would recommend looking on the UCAS website for this as you can easily compare different factors such as entry requirements and go straight to the website for each university.
In terms of personal statements, I would recommend talking about any online courses you've done or books you've read on relevant topics, as well as why you think the A Levels you've done would benefit you doing the course and why you think you would enjoy it! If you haven't done any online courses, FutureLearn is a good place to start as they have a large range for many topics!

Hope this helps and don't hesitate if you have anymore questions,
Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending