The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies BUSS1 - 14th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
I'm very worried I haven't done very well on this exam but can't change it now! My mind went blank on the break even question despite doing serious revision for similar questions. If I had more time I would of been able to do it but I wanted to concentrate on the questions for more points as I was worried about running out of time. I did go back to it at the end with 5 minutes left but struggled :frown:

How did everyone get on with the other questions?:confused:
Original post by homousandfalafel
Yeah thats what i did - I hope we're right in saying it was a 3 month question as everyone else seems to think otherwise and im getting worried lol i just dont recall seeing a question that states we have to work anything out for a whole year

It was defonfor the whole year. Checked that at the end to makesure!!! Added vAlue was 3 months
Original post by tans8701
here is every question in todays exam:

1a, what is meant by the term fixed costs

1b, calculate the total added value that zoe expected to recieve from party bags in the first three months of her business (nov11-jan12)

1c, calculate zoes budgeted profit or loss from her first year of trading (nov11-oct12)

1d, explain two problems that zoe faced in estimating her expenditure budget accurately

1ei, the new total cost line after the increase in variable cost

1eii, the new break even point

1eiii, the new forecast profit as a result of the increase in variable costs, based on zoes estimates of 225 parties

2a, analyse two possible reasons why zoe chose to use personal finance rather than a bank loan.

2b, zoe believed that she conducted her market research well to what extent do you agree? justify your view

2c, in may 2012 zoe stated the business is failing to reach its target at the moment but the reasons have been outside of my control do you agree with zoes statement justify your view

How did you do 1c ? And 1b ,?
Reply 443
Original post by Sujayshah2
How did you do 1c ? And 1b ,?

hey for 1b,

i did 2700(income from party bag total) -1575 (cost of party bag total)= $1125

1c,

add all the income budgets for the 4 quarters and subtract all the expenditure budgets for the for quarters 45000-26250 = $18750

u??

hope that helps
Reply 444
Original post by elistone
Hi, I found the exam quite tough today. I was fortunate enough to be able to obtain a spair copy of my work as I write my exam on a computer. Attatched are my answers as written in the exam. Lookig for general overall feedback from people. I wasn't able to answer 1c or 1e and 1b was handwritten so not on attached file however I believe i got 1125 for that question.

Please reply over how well you think i Answered the questions

Thanks

pretty good, im 90% sure your gonna get a A
Reply 445
Yay.. soo a lot of people managed to get 1125 and 18750... hopefully this is the right answer :smile:)
Realising you've made such a silly mistake must be one of the worst feelings
Reply 447
Original post by needtosucceed=)
completely messed up the break-even question. except for that, I thought it was alright, dunno if i've done enough to get an A though...anyways about the break even question, I spoke to a friend who was fairly confident that you had to divide 70 by 50 = 1.4 then multiply each quarters total variable costs by that, or something along those lines anyways..:confused:

Well the breakeven chart started from £15,000 - the thing that confused me was the units on the y axis were in thousands and here we had a partial cost increase by £20, additionally they never really gave us working out space.

What your friend did was basically find out how much percent it increased and then added that to the actual number, pretty much the same thing I did but the other way around. 50/100*40=£20 which is the increase so it shows that the variable costs increased by 40%. I just increased the total cost line by 40% as well which gave me £21,000 as the new start of the total cost line. Which is the same as your friend doing 1.4 * 15,000.

But I think it's wrong because the variable costs aren't the total costs, they only make up a partial amount of the total costs so if the variable costs increase by 40% the total costs are going to increase by a lesser percentage because total costs are made up of fixed costs as well.

Can anyone explain how it is actually done, I didn't spend too much time on this as I knew I wouldn't get it.
I thought the budgeted profit and loss question was for three months?
Reply 449
Who was her target market for the parties children or parents?
Reply 450
Original post by chelsearussell
I thought the budgeted profit and loss question was for three months?

im pretty sure it said the budgeted profit was for three months 2...however people are saying different :s-smilie: did you get 34500?
Original post by Ashbery94
im pretty sure it said the budgeted profit was for three months 2...however people are saying different :s-smilie: did you get 34500?

Can't quite remember what I got but pretty sure the question didn't specify for a whole year!
Reply 452
I posted my copy of my answers on the previous page in a PDF would appreciate what you guys think of them and a predicted grade. Thanks!!
Reply 453
Original post by elistone
I posted my copy of my answers on the previous page in a PDF would appreciate what you guys think of them and a predicted grade. Thanks!!

I read your answers sound prettty good my answers were no where nearr up to that standard aha i reckon you got an A straight up you seem to know your stuff so wanted to ask was the target market for her parties children or adults cos on the market research question i put she should not of asked adults cos they wouldnt have knowlege of the market and also they are not really her target market children are.. is this incorrect??? Sorry for the long post :biggrin:
Reply 454
Glad I'm not the only one who disliked the break even question..
Original post by chelsearussell
Can't quite remember what I got but pretty sure the question didn't specify for a whole year!

Value added was for the first three months of trading; the budgeted profit or loss was for the whole year i.e. total income minus total expenditure.
Original post by jk122
I read your answers sound prettty good my answers were no where nearr up to that standard aha i reckon you got an A straight up you seem to know your stuff so wanted to ask was the target market for her parties children or adults cos on the market research question i put she should not of asked adults cos they wouldnt have knowlege of the market and also they are not really her target market children are.. is this incorrect??? Sorry for the long post :biggrin:

The target market was parents. The consumer would have been kids in this scenario. Normally, children can't afford to pay entertainers for their parties so parents do that for them; what kind parents they were indeed! :-)
Original post by alexissocool
The target market was parents. The consumer would have been kids in this scenario. Normally, children can't afford to pay entertainers for their parties so parents do that for them; what kind parents they were indeed! :-)

Value added was for the first three months of trading; the budgeted profit or loss was for the whole year i.e. total income minus total expenditure.

Alex is good at this, correct with both :wink:
I didn't really mention a target market in mine though, oh well :frown:
Original post by HeyyImRyan
Alex is good at this, correct with both :wink:
I didn't really mention a target market in mine though, oh well :frown:

The moment when you look on here and realise what you've missed is never good!

Ok thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending