The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies BUSS1 - 14th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by alexissocool
The target market was parents. The consumer would have been kids in this scenario. Normally, children can't afford to pay entertainers for their parties so parents do that for them; what kind parents they were indeed! :-)

ohh i put children are the target group although adults are paying for it cos they said childrens parties
Reply 461
Original post by Faisal M
Well the breakeven chart started from £15,000 - the thing that confused me was the units on the y axis were in thousands and here we had a partial cost increase by £20, additionally they never really gave us working out space.

What your friend did was basically find out how much percent it increased and then added that to the actual number, pretty much the same thing I did but the other way around. 50/100*40=£20 which is the increase so it shows that the variable costs increased by 40%. I just increased the total cost line by 40% as well which gave me £21,000 as the new start of the total cost line. Which is the same as your friend doing 1.4 * 15,000.

But I think it's wrong because the variable costs aren't the total costs, they only make up a partial amount of the total costs so if the variable costs increase by 40% the total costs are going to increase by a lesser percentage because total costs are made up of fixed costs as well.

Can anyone explain how it is actually done, I didn't spend too much time on this as I knew I wouldn't get it.

basically the costs at the start of the graph were the fixed costs, which if i remember rightly were 15000. and the variable costs are the costs that change directly with output, so for example piece rate labour... zoe's v/c's were £50 but they were changed to £70. Zoe predicted to sell 225 units. (output) and so you had to times 70 by 225 which is 15750. so you the new variable costs to the original fixed costs and get 30750 and draw that from 15000 to 30750, thus giving you a new break even point which you had to draw A on and a new profit line. hope that helps
Original post by chelsearussell
The moment when you look on here and realise what you've missed is never good!

Very true! But there was no question specifically asking about a target market, perhaps the one about conducting market research efficiently, but there are like ten possible answers to give as paragraphs (Like on a mark scheme, you can say any number of reasons and be right :biggrin:)

The only ones with a real right or wrong are in the first 20 mark part of the paper :biggrin:
Original post by chelsearussell
I thought the budgeted profit and loss question was for three months?

HAHAHAHAH fancy seeing you on here chelsea!!!! I thought the budgeted question was for 3 months aswell!
Original post by HeyyImRyan
Very true! But there was no question specifically asking about a target market, perhaps the one about conducting market research efficiently, but there are like ten possible answers to give as paragraphs (Like on a mark scheme, you can say any number of reasons and be right :biggrin:)

The only ones with a real right or wrong are in the first 20 mark part of the paper :biggrin:

That's true! Even in that question it didn't ask to specify a target market, I just spoke about methods she used etc. Too late now anyway haha
Original post by homousandfalafel
HAHAHAHAH fancy seeing you on here chelsea!!!! I thought the budgeted question was for 3 months aswell!

maybe we need glasses mozzy
Reply 466
Original post by tans8701
hey mate hows revision for unit 4 going what kind of things have you looked at?

Hey.

We are just doing past papers at the moment. The teaching has been pretty poor to be honest for the specification so I've just learnt all the stuff myself lol.
Reply 467
Original post by tomp123
basically the costs at the start of the graph were the fixed costs, which if i remember rightly were 15000. and the variable costs are the costs that change directly with output, so for example piece rate labour... zoe's v/c's were £50 but they were changed to £70. Zoe predicted to sell 225 units. (output) and so you had to times 70 by 225 which is 15750. so you the new variable costs to the original fixed costs and get 30750 and draw that from 15000 to 30750, thus giving you a new break even point which you had to draw A on and a new profit line. hope that helps

Aw shet, any idea's of what the 3 marks for that line were?

Correct start point, correct end point anddd?
Reply 468
Originally Posted by tomp123

I did it differently? I think the total costs line went from 15,000 to 26,000. Only the variable costs increased which means to start with the line began at 15,000 aswel, like you say, because at 0 output its only the fixed costs, which didnt change. Next, there was an increase in variable costs by £20, so i did 225 units X £20 to give an extra £4,500 costs. Then added this to the 26,000 to get a line going from 15,000 to 30,500. ? :smile:

EDIT: scrub that your right, as £50 X 225 units + fixed costs = £26,250

oh well, hopefully the difference in the line will be so small (£250 ish) that it will be impossible to tell?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 469
Original post by Hugh*
Aw shet, any idea's of what the 3 marks for that line were?

Correct start point, correct end point anddd?

erm start point was the same as fixed costs didnt change, and then the TC2 line is on 30250... thats all i can remember, i cant think what point the new break even point was, just when it crossed!
Reply 470
Original post by Adamcfc
I did it differently? I think the total costs line went from 15,000 to 26,000. Only the variable costs increased which means to start with the line began at 15,000 aswel, like you say, because at 0 output its only the fixed costs, which didnt change. Next, there was an increase in variable costs by £20, so i did 225 units X £20 to give an extra £4,500 costs. Then added this to the 26,000 to get a line going from 15,000 to 30,500. ? :smile:

EDIT: scrub that your right, as £50 X 225 units + fixed costs = £26,250

oh well, hopefully the difference in the line will be so small (£250 ish) that it will be impossible to tell?

yeah surely you wont get marked down for it, because when i looked at the first the first line was sort of like out of position aswell, you'll be fine!!
Reply 471
Attached are my exact answers from exam, please give me your feedback on them especially the expenditure budget question and the last 15 marker cos I'm worried I didn't argue both sides of argument. Please comment back with your thoughts and predicted grades.
Original post by elistone
Attached are my exact answers from exam, please give me your feedback on them especially the expenditure budget question and the last 15 marker cos I'm worried I didn't argue both sides of argument. Please comment back with your thoughts and predicted grades.

Your answers are articulately worded. Only thing that stuck out to me on the last question is that you say that if she had bought a first hand car (new) this problem of her missing the two parties would not have happened.
My thoughts, you can't say it wouldn't have happened because you can't predict things like this; even the newest of technologies can have faults. Nonetheless the quantity/quality you have written is rather impressive. I see clear evidence of evaluation throughout as well so I'm sure you will have done very well :-)
Predicted grade? Well that's impossible...grade boundaries can on some occasions be disheartening so I wouldn't want to say. However, if I was an examiner I'd be impressed reading your essays.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can anyonr guess the grade boundaries? hope they are low... think i messed up on the expenditure budget qu and lost marks on not completing any of the break even questions and just overall rushing especially on the last question. stupid paper. Not much to talk about. very disappointed as i thought this exam was going to be a gift :frown:
Reply 474
How are people preparing for Buss2?
Original post by miss-pink09
Can anyonr guess the grade boundaries? hope they are low... think i messed up on the expenditure budget qu and lost marks on not completing any of the break even questions and just overall rushing especially on the last question. stupid paper. Not much to talk about. very disappointed as i thought this exam was going to be a gift :frown:

They don't give the grade boundaries till after the exams have been marked, as they have to judge the percentage and how hard it is.
Reply 476
I doubt the grade boundaries will be very low cos to be fair it was an easier exam then it was in jan
Original post by jk122
I doubt the grade boundaries will be very low cos to be fair it was an easier exam then it was in jan

What were the boundaries in Jan? :smile:
Reply 478
Original post by HeyyImRyan
What were the boundaries in Jan? :smile:

Well for an A it was only 38/60 which is very low i would love it to be that for this exam but highly doubt it :mad:
Original post by jk122
Well for an A it was only 38/60 which is very low i would love it to be that for this exam but highly doubt it :mad:

To be honest i thought this paper was harder.
in mocks ive had good As.. But in this paper i think i got about 35 - 37 marks :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending