The Student Room Group

To A2 (Edexcel) Geographers!!!

Hello :smile: I was just wondering,

For the GEOG3 paper, you know you get 2.5 hrs to complete
- A 40 marker essay
- 7,8,10 marker set of questions on Physical geog and
- another 7,8, 10 marker set of questions on human geog?

If so, how much time should u spend on each?

I thought it was
- essay: 1hr
- physical topic questions: 45mins
- human pic questions: 45mins
(with 5,10,25 minutes spent on 7,8,10 mark qs relatively)

IS THIS ABOUT RIGHT???

I'm finding it really hard to write a 10 marker in such short space of time espesh since our h.geog teacher is so strict on the level of detail.

I swear 2-2.5 pages is the maximum you can write for a 10 marker (since ur given about half an hour) yet, if i do that, my teacher always says my work is too skimpy! urgh. i want to practice writing detailed essays but in a REALISTIC MANNER.
Original post by youcanfly
Hello :smile: I was just wondering,

For the GEOG3 paper, you know you get 2.5 hrs to complete
- A 40 marker essay
- 7,8,10 marker set of questions on Physical geog and
- another 7,8, 10 marker set of questions on human geog?

If so, how much time should u spend on each?

I thought it was
- essay: 1hr
- physical topic questions: 45mins
- human pic questions: 45mins
(with 5,10,25 minutes spent on 7,8,10 mark qs relatively)

IS THIS ABOUT RIGHT???

I'm finding it really hard to write a 10 marker in such short space of time espesh since our h.geog teacher is so strict on the level of detail.

I swear 2-2.5 pages is the maximum you can write for a 10 marker (since ur given about half an hour) yet, if i do that, my teacher always says my work is too skimpy! urgh. i want to practice writing detailed essays but in a REALISTIC MANNER.

Hey,
I'm really confused a to what you mean by having to answer 1 physical and 1 human question, I sat this exam this January, you have to answer two questions which are both divided up into part a) which is worth 10 marks, and a part b which is worth 15 marks in regard to the topics of;
1 - Water Conflicts
2 - Superpowers
3 - Biodiversity
4 - Energy
5 - Technological Fix
(depending on the pre-release)

and then you have to answer 3 questions on what ever the pre-release is
In response to timing, with the first section (the 10 - 15 markers) it should be a minute a mark but it never ends up like so, overall I would spend 15 mins on each question with about a page and a half for the 10 marker and around 2 and a half pages for the 15 marker, hope this helps, good luck :smile:
I know this is irrelevant, but I'm in Year 11 and I want to do Geography A Level, however, I'm the only person so my school said that I have to study AS after my GCSE exams and the holiday (which is about 3 months of concentrated study), and when I come back (into sixth form), complete the AS and A2 in one year.

How difficult would that be? The only reason I'm doing it is because the Uni course I want to do requires Geography.

I feel I'm a capable student and I enjoy the subject very much. Aiming for A*/A's.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NerdyBashir
I know this is irrelevant, but I'm in Year 11 and I want to do Geography A Level, however, I'm the only person so my school said that I have to study AS after my GCSE exams and the holiday (which is about 3 months of concentrated study), and when I come back (into sixth form), complete the AS and A2 in one year.

How difficult would that be? The only reason I'm doing it is because the Uni course I want to do requires Geography.

I feel I'm a capable student and I enjoy the subject very much. Aiming for A*/A's.

Hmm there is no set answer for this question I'm afraid, I guess it depends on a variety of factors. Of course it is do-able, but it depends on the exam board. I do EDEXCEL, and I found that AS course lay out (for the exam) slightly mirrors that of GCSE and found the topics really interesting
However I'm finding A2 a big step up from AS / GCSE in regard to content and the exams. I guess it also depends on whether you're interested in Geography, this can make a huge difference, if your passionate about the subject your more likely to want to do more independent research & won't mind putting in the extra hours. Good luck with whatever you do, however be warned A2 geography (in my opinion) is fairly difficult compared to GCSE & AS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending