The Student Room Group

Girls: Pole Dancing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Village Whisper
Not my first post ever! First post in the fitness forum. Or is that what you meant? Anyway, I never meant to provoke such a reaction, I didn't think it was that bad a thread :tongue:

Thank you for your actually useful response though, James :smile: Did you just happen upon this thread, or were you stalking my posts? :tongue:

It's not a bad thread, it's actually opened up into quite an interesting debate.
I usually look at the Discussions tab on the side and click on the little cross to see who started the thread and how many posts there have been on it so far. Lo and behold, this one was started by you :tongue:

Little hint: you'll come across a lot (and I mean a lot) of morons on here, so it's best to ignore some of the more inflammatory comments because they might just be trying to get a rise out of you for poops and giggles.
Original post by py0alb
There are lots of strip clubs in Newmarket as well. If you've got a car that might be an option.

Grow the **** up you ignorant prick. Pole-dancing =/= being stripper.

I honestly thought you were more intelligent than that. Guess I was wrong.
Original post by py0alb
What are you, are retard? Your location says Cambridge and your OP said you wanted to try pole dancing, so I gave you some helpful advice on trying pole dancing in Cambridge. How hard is that to understand?

Talk about ungrateful

You might want to reread your first sentence, there. And no, you're not being helpful, you're once again talking about strip clubs.

I was talking about joining a society at university, which will not be in Cambridge. It's for fun and fitness, not to learn how to be a professional stripper (again, I am not saying pole dancing and stripping is the same thing). If I do it, I know where I will be doing it. My questions weren't about where I could learn, they were actually about physical things. So again, no, you are not being helpful.
Reply 183
Original post by Drunk Punx

Do you actually know anything about this? Or are you just guessing?

Most pole dancing societies have a pole dancing instructor.
Most pole dancing instructors are professional pole dancers.
Most professional pole dancers work in strip clubs.
At the very least a strip club will be able to put you in touch with a pole dancing instructor.

Its just a fact. I don't get why some people get on their moral high horse about this, like they want to try pole dancing but the idea of mixing with someone who works in a strip club revolts them. ****ing hypocrites.
It's not a bad thread, it's actually opened up into quite an interesting debate.
I usually look at the Discussions tab on the side and click on the little cross to see who started the thread and how many posts there have been on it so far. Lo and behold, this one was started by you :tongue:

Little hint: you'll come across a lot (and I mean a lot) of morons on here, so it's best to ignore some of the more inflammatory comments because they might just be trying to get a rise out of you for poops and giggles.

Yeah, but it's not a debate I wanted to be a part of :/ I also didn't know you could do that haha.

And I know, I guess I get annoyed too easily. I need to practice not reacting, it doesn't always help my rep points :tongue:

:hugs:
Reply 185
You might want to reread your first sentence, there. And no, you're not being helpful, you're once again talking about strip clubs.

I was talking about joining a society at university, which will not be in Cambridge. It's for fun and fitness, not to learn how to be a professional stripper (again, I am not saying pole dancing and stripping is the same thing). If I do it, I know where I will be doing it. My questions weren't about where I could learn, they were actually about physical things. So again, no, you are not being helpful.

Oh right, well you should have said your "new" location otherwise how are people meant to advise you on where to go to get started?

You also need to get it into your head that if you do take up pole dancing, you will come into contact with girls who work in strip clubs. If this repulses you so much, you should maybe think of taking up a different hobby.
Original post by py0alb

Its just a fact. I don't get why some people get on their moral high horse about this, like they want to try pole dancing but the idea of mixing with someone who works in a strip club revolts them. ****ing hypocrites.

No, you're completely missing my point. Pole-dancing doesn't always have something to do with being a stripper.
Ok, so the tutors might be strippers. And what? That doesn't automatically make their students strippers-to-be.
And I'm not being a hypocrite. I'm getting pissed off with you because you seem to be insinuating that just because somebody uses a pole for exercise purposes that they MUST be doing it in order to be a stripper. That isn't always the case. You're coming across as incredibly close-minded, surely you must notice that?
I can see your point, don't get me wrong, but it's not a case of being a stripper. It's a case of pole-dancing for exercise purposes. Which has no bearing on being a stripper whatsoever. Now I'm repeating myself :colonhash:

Yeah, but it's not a debate I wanted to be a part of :/ I also didn't know you could do that haha.

And I know, I guess I get annoyed too easily. I need to practice not reacting, it doesn't always help my rep points :tongue:

Yeah, you can fiddle around with the tabs you have on the side. I've got Who Quoted Me, Discussions, Rep, and Watched Threads (even though I never use the last one, so really it's a mystery why I have it on there).

Reply 187
Original post by py0alb
Money is THE difference? So other than getting paid, there is no difference between a casual pole dancer and a stripper?

You said it, not me.

Firstly wtf how am I spamming?

You're really good at ignoring certain things and twisting them so they work for you, congrats. You were suggesting that the outfit was the only difference. I was pointing out that you were wrong.

To have a debate you need to accept the fact that your opinion might deemed wrong by the other person/people. You dont seem to be able to grasp that. Therefore this is pointless, bye.
Original post by py0alb
Oh right, well you should have said your "new" location otherwise how are people meant to advise you on where to go to get started?

You also need to get it into your head that if you do take up pole dancing, you will come into contact with girls who work in strip clubs. If this repulses you so much, you should maybe think of taking up a different hobby.

I notice you deleted that sentence. Maybe you shouldn't have written it at all, eh? Might have got yourself a few more negs.

And no, again, I am not looking for advice on "where to get started". I know where I'm going to be. Maybe get that into your head? What the hell is it with you and strip clubs, anyway?! The instructor is actually a student, so no, she doesn't work in a strip club. I also never said it repulses me; in fact, a while back I said I have no problem with strippers/pole dancers who work in strip clubs, because it's their decision to do that kind of work and that's fine. In fact, show me where I said it repulses me, please.
Meh go ahead and do it.

Stripping = Sexy
Pole Dancing With Clothes = Sexy
Pole Dancing without clothes = Sexy

Regardless of what your intentions are, whether that be fitness or fun. It's still hot, and most of us guys will be :sexface:'d over you regardless. :redface:
Reply 190
No, you're completely missing my point. Pole-dancing doesn't always have something to do with being a stripper.
Ok, so the tutors might be strippers. And what? That doesn't automatically make their students strippers-to-be.
And I'm not being a hypocrite. I'm getting pissed off with you because you seem to be insinuating that just because somebody uses a pole for exercise purposes that they MUST be doing it in order to be a stripper. That isn't always the case. You're coming across as incredibly close-minded, surely you must notice that?
I can see your point, don't get me wrong, but it's not a case of being a stripper. It's a case of pole-dancing for exercise purposes. Which has no bearing on being a stripper whatsoever. Now I'm repeating myself :colonhash:

Why do I get the feeling that I am the only person here that has ever actually been to a strip club or interacted with pole dancers, both amateur and professional?

If you're not intelligent enough to read my posts without jumping to completely the wrong conclusion, that's your problem. Throughout the entire thread I've been the single voice of reason and tolerance when everyone else has been alternately demonising pole dancers in general or professional pole dancers in particular.

I accurately advised her that a strip club would be a good place to find out about pole dancing lessons, and you think that means I am suggesting she signs up for a shift? :facepalm2:
Original post by facdroit
No. I was created in a lab.

Brb uni at 17
brb graduated college at 16
brb making more money now than you will when you graduate
brb being rich
brb 142 iq

Haha what a douchbag!
Reply 192
I notice you deleted that sentence. Maybe you shouldn't have written it at all, eh? Might have got yourself a few more negs.

And no, again, I am not looking for advice on "where to get started". I know where I'm going to be. Maybe get that into your head? What the hell is it with you and strip clubs, anyway?! The instructor is actually a student, so no, she doesn't work in a strip club. I also never said it repulses me; in fact, a while back I said I have no problem with strippers/pole dancers who work in strip clubs, because it's their decision to do that kind of work and that's fine. In fact, show me where I said it repulses me, please.

yes, I thought it was unnecessarily offensive, and I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just trying to make you see how unrealistic you are if you think pole dancing and strip clubs are these two completely separate worlds that never interact.

If your not being judgemental, how come you got so offended when I suggested you contact a strip club to put you in touch with an instructor? Hmmm?
Original post by py0alb
Why do I get the feeling that I am the only person here that has ever actually been to a strip club or interacted with pole dancers, both amateur and professional?

If you're not intelligent enough to read my posts without jumping to completely the wrong conclusion, that's your problem. Throughout the entire thread I've been the single voice of reason and tolerance when everyone else has been alternately demonising pole dancers in general or professional pole dancers in particular.

I accurately advised her that a strip club would be a good place to find out about pole dancing lessons, and you think that means I am suggesting she signs up for a shift? :facepalm2:

Be that as it may, that's not how it came across. Also, after reading some of your responses to questions on this thread, I disagree with what you think you mean, even though you state otherwise.
Reply 194
Original post by imy7
Firstly wtf how am I spamming?

You're really good at ignoring certain things and twisting them so they work for you, congrats. You were suggesting that the outfit was the only difference. I was pointing out that you were wrong.

To have a debate you need to accept the fact that your opinion might deemed wrong by the other person/people. You dont seem to be able to grasp that. Therefore this is pointless, bye.

I'm perfectly at ease with the fact that my opinion might turn out to be wrong. There are many times I have been wrong and I have graciously accepted defeat and changed my opinion.

However, seeing as you haven't even attempted to put forward an alternate hypothesis, I don't anticipate this being one of those occasions.
Original post by py0alb
Nah I don't believe that for one minute. If they "like turning upside down" thereare plenty of appropriate gymnastic activities that don't happen take place in nightclubs with groups of sweaty men watching you do the horizontal splits in tight/non-existent pants. Pole-dancing is pole-dancing - if its was pole gymnastics then it would be called pole gymnastics and it would take place in a gymnasium.

You're going to tell me there's nothing inherently sexual about lap-dancing next and its actually just "lap gymnastics".

Well seeing as you're so sure of yourself, what about gymnastics then? That involves women in leotards jumping around lithely and flexing here and there. Is there something "inherently sexual" about that too? (bear in mind I'm talking in relation to pole dancing, not lap dancing). These things depend on context- if she's not being paid to do it while men leer over her, then it hardly strikes me as being inherently sexual or pretending to be a paid sex worker...
Original post by py0alb
yes, I thought it was unnecessarily offensive, and I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just trying to make you see how unrealistic you are if you think pole dancing and strip clubs are these two completely separate worlds that never interact.

If your not being judgemental, how come you got so offended when I suggested you contact a strip club to put you in touch with an instructor? Hmmm?

Again, quote me where I said that the two never interact. Of course they bloody well interact, I'm not an idiot! My problem is with you saying that pole dancing ALWAYS comes with stripping, because it doesn't. I am not offended, I'm annoyed that you keep repeating the same rubbish.
Reply 197
I disagree with what you think you mean, even though you state otherwise.

I wouldn't say I'm not unwilling to not disagree with the things you said you said you meant but think you mean, even though you didn't say you thought to mean them.

I hope that clarifies things.
Reply 198
Original post by Bobo1234
Well seeing as you're so sure of yourself, what about gymnastics then? That involves women in leotards jumping around lithely and flexing here and there. Is there something "inherently sexual" about that too? (bear in mind I'm talking in relation to pole dancing, not lap dancing). These things depend on context- if she's not being paid to do it while men leer over her, then it hardly strikes me as being inherently sexual or pretending to be a paid sex worker...

If you can't see the difference between the moves exhibited by a pole dancer and a gymnast, I suggest you inspect some of the pictures and videos that have been exhibited so far.

The moves learnt by today's amateur pole dancers are the same moves invented by professional pole dancers over many decades in strip clubs around the world. Does it really come as a shock to you that a discipline forged in the heat of a strip club would maintain its intrinsically sexual nature long after moving into the gymnasium?
Original post by py0alb
I wouldn't say I'm not unwilling to not disagree with the things you said you said you meant but think you mean, even though you didn't say you thought to mean them.

I hope that clarifies things.

...well played sir.
I'll figure that out when I have more time on my hands.

Quick Reply

Latest