The Student Room Group

Difference between two degrees?

Hello,
I have considered applying for a degree in Economics in the University of Glasgow but I feel flustered. That is because I want to pursue a career in the field of analysis,banking or finance and I do not want to end up as an "insurance guy" .Thus I strongly consider studying economics with applied mathematics (Joint Honours). The Glasgow's Uni has two different degrees which are very close to this- BSc in Applied Mathematics with Economics and MA in Economics with Mathematics . A question which stands before me is to what degree is economics taught in the former (because i do want to focus on the Economics and not on the Math). I sincerely thank for all your responses in advance :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by blackdaniel
Hello,
I have considered applying for a degree in Economics in the University of Glasgow but I feel flustered. That is because I want to pursue a career in the field of analysis,banking or finance and I do not want to end up as an "insurance guy" .Thus I strongly consider studying economics with applied mathematics (Joint Honours). The Glasgow's Uni has two different degrees which are very close to this- BSc in Applied Mathematics with Economics and MA in Economics with Mathematics . A question which stands before me is to what degree is economics taught in the former (because i do want to focus on the Economics and not on the Math). I sincerely thank for all your responses in advance :smile:

Business School at Glasgow University is very weak, especially professors from Department of Economics. They don't know how to teach and explain. If you see their lecture notes - they copy everything from the books, but they willn't tell you whcih book they have used to prepare his lecture notes. Without lecture notes they will not be able to tell you anything. some of them give you hand-written lecture notes, because they are lazy and don't want to spend their time to prepare more understandable lecture note for students. They don't care whether students undertstand a material or not. Some of they don't reply on your emails and will try to show you that they are very busy if go to their office hours. and 99% chineese stidents here))
Reply 2
Jekki, do you even study Economics at Glasgow? The chinese student population -from what I've observed- only make up around 5% of the Business School. While I'm not a great fan of the university I have found the majority of the faculty to be both proficient and competent. I get what you're saying about lecture notes and the lectures themselves - completely useless.
Reply 3
Original post by blackdaniel
Hello,

That is exactly what I've been wondering for the past few days! I will watch the "Ask University of Glasgow" thread, as I was going to ask the same. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Caedus
Jekki, do you even study Economics at Glasgow? The chinese student population -from what I've observed- only make up around 5% of the Business School. While I'm not a great fan of the university I have found the majority of the faculty to be both proficient and competent. I get what you're saying about lecture notes and the lectures themselves - completely useless.

It seems you are a person from the marketing department for our university :-) 5% in Business School? Are you kidding me? 99%..after 2-3 years will be 99,98%)) University just wants to make a lot of profit, that's why they accept all students from China. I agree that there are a few chineese students at nuclear technology or other engineering departments..but Business school makes a lot of money on chineese students and doesn't take into account the geographical diversification and other criteria. The main goal for our business school's administration - to accept as much students as they can to EARN A LOT OF MONEY!!! They don't care about reputation these days))

Yes, there are some good professors in Economics. But university offers a lot of degrees and there are so many students and you will be lucky if you get one good professor during your study. I have just seen one good professor who teachs Macroeconomics...but others don't care about how students understand material or not. I think it is better to buy a lot of books and study at home rather than to go to our business school.

some people don't want to say you true story about their schools because they studied at this business school and they wouldn't like to tell you that they graduated from very weak school and didn't get any good knowledge.
Reply 5
Minus the hyperbole I think you're referring to the high proportion of chinese students within your postgraduate course whereas in my experience I've found that the majority of undergrads come from the local populus. I've never studied at another business school so I have no basis for comparison other than to say it's highly regarded in Scotland.

Quick Reply

Latest