The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 2 25/05/12 - PHYA2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aftman
Seems to be alot of variation in these exams. I hope it's hard really, otherwise it may be hard to get 120 UMS if that's what you're aiming for :frown:

Example:

June 2009:
108 UMS: 63/70
120 UMS: 70/70
June 2010:
108 UMS: 51/70
120 UMS 57/70

That June 2009 is just unfair, I bet many who should've come away with 120 didn't, because they're human and made a few mistakes. Sort of defeats the whole point of the UMS system, although it usually works. On the bright side, June 2009 was the second exam they had ever done on this specification and the variation seems to have died down now - well done AQA for sorting it out!

was the june 2009 paper really easy compared to the others?
Reply 181
Original post by internet tough guy
was the june 2009 paper really easy compared to the others?

I haven't looked, it must've been though. Don't see how the boundaries could be that high though!
can someone please look at http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-PHYA2-W-QP-JUN11.PDF on 3a,iv
on the mark scheme, it doesnt even make it clear what the final answer is. please help!
Reply 183
Added an experiment that is in the book for finding the value of g.
Reply 184
Hello everyone.

Hope you're all prepared.

Just some basic but important definitions/questions which you should answer to be sure:

Define:

Amplitude
Frequency
Wavelength
Speed (of a wave)
Phase
Path difference
What are longitudinal and transverse waves.
What is the function of cladding?
Reply 185
Original post by fayled

Thank you so much. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Best of luck! :smile:
Whats the deal with significant figures for physics?

Im on the Jan 2012 mark scheme and it says this for one of the questions:

F = 68000 or 68k(N) (68108N)

It hasn't specified to any number of significant figures but they have given their answer to 2 sig fig, if you give it to 3 or 4 sig fig will you get penalised?

Sometimes in the mark schemes they will use 2 significant figures and then 3 significant figures in another question when neither said to use an appropriate number of significant figures, does it matter if you use 3 for both?

And if theres a question where the answer is quite large, eg the one above - 68000N, would you be docked a mark for putting it in standard form? ie 6.8x10^(4)?

My teacher has never really explained it and now its annoying me so much I had to ask, cheers!
Have two wave questions on the AQA nelson thornes textbook page 181,

- question 2, part A asks me what happens to the interference pattern if the two vibrating dippers creating the waves in the wave are moved apart. And part B asks me what happens to the interference patterns if the frequency of the waves are reduced. Any idea?

- question 4b, why would signal increase if the reciever is moved towards B?

really worried about waves and optics for this exam :frown:
Original post by fayled
With the experimental questions, I doubt there will be anything on waves cause those have come up in the past 2 exams, but the materials ones are possible.

Otherwise its gonna be some random mechanics experiment, such as moments or terminal velocity, or an energy change kinda question...

Just make sure you do the energy change question from the past papers and then it will be simple if it comes up cause theres loads of things you wouldn't normally think of.

Which energy change question? :smile: and which past paper(s)? :tongue: thanks! much appreciated
Reply 189
Original post by fayled

Cheers mate.

EVERYONE on here needs to download this file. I've been using it for every past paper that contains an experiment like the one's from the document and they're spot on.

Cheers again.
In a weird way, I'm kinda looking forward to this.
Reply 191
Original post by anuradha_d
In a weird way, I'm kinda looking forward to this.

Ofcourse you are, look at your sig :biggrin:
Original post by uxa595
Ofcourse you are, look at your sig :biggrin:

Like a boss (Y)
Reply 193
Wtf, jun09 has 2 6mark questions. If that happens on friday, i will not be pleased.
Reply 194
Original post by uxa595
Wtf, jun09 has 2 6mark questions. If that happens on friday, i will not be pleased.

In all fairness though, the second of those six markers includes 3 marks for a diagram and 3 marks for a simple experiment answer. And the first 6 marker was rather tasty too :smile:
Has anyone got a link to an experiment for estimating the value of g? Can't find anything for it :frown:
Original post by Benniboi1
Has anyone got a link to an experiment for estimating the value of g? Can't find anything for it :frown:

what, you mean finding the acceleration due to gravity?

I believe theres a page in the textbook on it, something about a stroboscope
Just like unit 1 theres only going to be one big mark question asking you to describe an experiment, right?
Reply 198
Original post by internet tough guy
Just like unit 1 theres only going to be one big mark question asking you to describe an experiment, right?

more than likely but as a few of us have mentioned earlier, it may well be the case that they throw in 2 of them i.e june 09.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 199
Original post by Benniboi1

there is an extremely useful document that someone uploaded on this page. it contains 5 different experiments. download it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending