The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 2 25/05/12 - PHYA2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Any suggestions on waves? Do we need to know about waves in columns of air?
Reply 21
Original post by silentlife
Any suggestions on waves? Do we need to know about waves in columns of air?

I've extensively gone through the Nelson Thornes As book and haven't seen the word 'column' written anywhere so I think, and hope, the answer to that is no.
Reply 22
Any of you guys and girls been given any clues by your teachers as to what the practical task might be by any chance? I've started another thread on it but more people look at this one so was hoping to get some answers here instead. Cheers.
Reply 23
Does anyone know how to derive the formula for energy stored=1/2F deltaL ??? please explain! x
Reply 24
Original post by JenniS
Does anyone know how to derive the formula for energy stored=1/2F deltaL ??? please explain! x

Area under graph of force vs delta extension graph (area of triangle because gradient is constant (stiffness constant)) is the work done/energy needed to extend spring.

Hope that helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Area under graph of force vs delta extension graph (area of triangle because gradient is constant (stiffness constant)) is the work done/energy needed to extend spring.

Hope that helps.

ahh that makes sense, thanks. I knew it wasn't difficult, just couldn't remember how to derive it!
Reply 26
I've been searching around and there seem to be no discussion on this. So here goes...

Just to start off, here is the Jan 12 paper. Good luck everyone:smile:

Hi there. I was wondering if you had the mark scheme for this paper
Original post by Ganep001
Hi there. I was wondering if you had the mark scheme for this paper

I've got it, but I'm not allowed to post in on TSR as it is a breach of the rules. If you PM me with your e-mail, then I'll send it to you.
Reply 29
Any suggestions on the next 2 dreaded 6-8 marker silly descriptions?
Any suggestions on the next 2 dreaded 6-8 marker silly descriptions?

the last 3 papers have been about waves so im guessing it'll be about youngs modulus
Can someone please explain polarisation to me because I don't understand it, oh and stationary waves...what the **** are they? :frown:
Reply 33
Hoping/praying for a nice paper
Reply 34
Original post by Mystic Creature
Can someone please explain polarisation to me because I don't understand it, oh and stationary waves...what the **** are they? :frown:

Damn I just wrote a load to you on this and then stupidly clicked off it...
how do you calculate the energy wasted?
Reply 36
Original post by cooldudeman
how do you calculate the energy wasted?

Hmmmmm, probably just by working out the work done. What is the question?
Original post by aerf
Damn I just wrote a load to you on this and then stupidly clicked off it...

Aahh them ones :nooo:

I think I understand them.

Polarisation is all about whether the wave is travelling in one plane - if it is, then it is polarised, whereas if the vibrations change planes, the waves are unpolarised. And theres that polaroid experiment where unpolarised waves hit a polaroid filter, and only waves parallel to the way the atoms are arranged get through, and so the light gets polarised (right? please correct me if im wrong), and then when another polaroid filter, turned 90 degrees, is placed further down, no waves get through as they are all stopped by the atoms. Is that it? Anything else I need to know about?

And stationary waves, I finally understand what the **** they actually are! :biggrin: theyre just waves moving up and down on a rope..why couldnt my teacher have just bloody said so!! :mad: And I get the parts about nodes and antinodes and phase difference, so everything is looking that little bit easier, thank the Lord!
(edited 11 years ago)
Has anyone got suggestions for the six mark question in this paper?
Can anyone explain the difference between progressive waves and stationary waves? Progressive waves make up a stationary wave, is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending