The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 2 25/05/12 - PHYA2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Shouldn't the parallel extension be halved? Because it is shared between each spring?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yay I done that ^___^ oh my all the weird angle calculations of angles .... At least the 6 mark question was generous

Original post by dannyr
Shouldn't the parallel extension be halved? Because it is shared between each spring?

No in the aqa book it states that the series is halved... How did you find the paper overall? I am expecting high grade boundaries

Reply 583
Thought that paper went reasonably well, hope it went ok for the rest of you :smile:
Reply 584
Original post by NilabKebab
No in the aqa book it states that the series is halved... How did you find the paper overall? I am expecting high grade boundaries

Ahhh no! That means I'll have lost loads of the marks on that question! I though it had gone well, but now not so much.

Nothing about DIFFRACTION OR INTERFERENCE????

anyway i think it went ok overall it should've been easy if i knew that parallel and series springs thing which ive never heard in my life but nevermind....

the 6 marker was surprisingly nice :smile: measure spring length at different weights up to 20N and then plot graph basically

the last question where you had to label the two waves was a bit weird tho...threw me off a bit
Reply 586
how did everybody do on the moments question? that was my second worst done question
Reply 587
Original post by ReviseAlex

anyway i think it went ok overall it should've been easy if i knew that parallel and series springs thing which ive never heard in my life but nevermind....

the 6 marker was surprisingly nice :smile: measure spring length at different weights up to 20N and then plot graph basically

the last question where you had to label the two waves was a bit weird tho...threw me off a bit

Agree with your comment. I think the 6 marker was to try and compensate for the dreadful rest of the spring question. And the wave question also thrown me off but the rest where okay. :smile:
Reply 588
Original post by ReviseAlex

D: im so glad diffraction didnt come up!!! and that 6 mark question was a dream~!!!
Original post by Tealeaves
how did everybody do on the moments question? that was my second worst done question

moments went ok for me i think...i thought about it in simple terms for that runner and i think i calculated it all right...

i gave most of my answers to 2 sig fig tho i hope thats ok :s-smilie: most of the questions had numbers that were only to 2 sig fig
Such a weird paper, nothing I'd revised had come up, I've pretty much gone from getting 50+ on the past papers to probably 40 on this. Hated it.
Reply 591

Are you sure? Because we did this exact experiment in class and the series spring extended a lot more than the parallel spring

There's also a thread on TSR about it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1965642

"In series both springs extend the same amount and the total extension is double what it would have been with just one spring."

Overall I found it ok, but I was really suprised there was nothing at all on diffraction
A lot of stuff didn't come up... How did everyone do in the phase difference question
?

Reply 593
This is the hardest paper I've ever seen, the model in question .2 is in fact, simple harmonic motion which will be learnt in a2.
Reply 594
I just tried to visualise which one would have more extension... And thought it was series, made some silly mistakes as usual but was cool.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 595
I was really surprised nothing came up on diffraction, glad though since that's what I'm weakest at
Reply 596
Am I the only one who thought that was a disaster?
im really confused about that parallel and series springs

K=85
force=15

parallel spring extention = ???

Series spring extension = ???

then stored energy for parallel was = ???

then was stored energy for series greater, smaller or same and why ???

if someone could say what they did for these answers it would really help!!
Reply 598
A lot of stuff didn't come up... How did everyone do in the phase difference question
?

I put the X and Y as 3pi/4 radians out of phase and X and Z as pi/4 radians out of phase, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong :frown:
Reply 599
Easy paper
The hardest thing (diffraction) didnt come up

Paralell was half the stored energy right ?
Last tv q, waves have to hit tv ariel at 90degrees?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending