The Student Room Group

Should the 'women and children first' rule still apply when a ship is sinking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hearty_Beast
Yeah. I'm a guy. :tongue:

And I don't think that women shouldn't be equal to men. Just when it comes down to who should be saved, I'd do the generous thing and give the spaces to the ladies.

Well it would be a generous thing for a lady to give up her spot also.

Why should a 60 year old woman get to live while me an 18 year old man should die, she has lived a life and probably had kids maybe even grand kids of her own why should I give up a seat for this woman just because I am a male.
If women are prioritised, weak men should be too. But this is hard to do when you're on a sinking ship, I don't think it's necessarily people being sexist when saying women should go first. It's tricky to stratify human life in any way like this.

But we must remember Titanic was a different time, when people were dying all the time anyway. People were less sensitive to it back then. This one guy decided he wasn't going to suffer the indignity of jumping in the lifeboat and clinging on desperately to life, he was a millionaire for heaven's sake. So he went back to his cabin to get his top hat and tails and "went down with the ship like a gentleman".

The more scandalous tragedy of Titanic was that they shut the doors on the working-class rabble below decks to keep the air in so the ship would stay buoyant. Even where the third-class passengers did find a way out, they had no hope of getting a lifeboat by that time.

These days the point is completely moot. But people are more individualist these days so they would just go for it like animals probably.
Original post by Ice Constricter
Quiet woman! When you're in a life or death situation you aren't gonna think about crap like being a decent human being. Just leave that 'honour' and 'respect' nonsense to fairy tales, this is the real harsh world we live in.

Don't be surprised to see a fully grown healthy man push a woman and her baby out of the way in order to survive. Its just his survival instinct kicking in.

Judging by your post that man is going to be you :wink:
It makes sense to ensure your own survival. I know I would be doing all I can to live, especially since I don't believe in afterlife.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Shabalala
Well it would be a generous thing for a lady to give up her spot also.

Why should a 60 year old woman get to live while me an 18 year old man should die, she has lived a life and probably had kids maybe even grand kids of her own why should I give up a seat for this woman just because I am a male.

Yeah, age should come into account, but I think that the generous thing to do is to give the women first option. If they decline because they think you more deserving (it may happen...) Then you can live happy at having offered. But on same age group: 18-40, I think women ought to be offered first.

On the other hand, I disagree with women demanding places on gender terms. I think it's right for men to offer their places to ladies (though it's still an optional thing, and within reason (I agree with your age and potential life argument) ), but women shouldn't expect positive unequal treatment after demanding equality. If we're talking about men giving up their lives, then it has to be a choice, and not one women can decide for them. I never said it should be forced!
The rule seems an idea not the reality in this and many other situations I suspect.
Reply 105
people who cannot swim should get a place in the lifeboat first, doesn't matter if it's a child or adult, male or female. it's not fair for a teenage female swimming athlete who can at least keep afloat for much longer to get a place before a male non-swimmer.

thankfully nowadays we realise it's not whether it's men or women, first or third class passengers first, but why isn't there enough lifeboats for everybody in the first place, and this situation will probably never have to happen again
I think age order to maximise the number life years saved.
Reply 107
Children first, with mothers in sync. Pun intended, baby!
children first without a doubt. after that i guess its just up to the people.
i know loads of guys who wouldnt dream of kicking a woman out so they could have a seat.
it is sort of an outdated idea in the sense that back then it was probably women before men as they were fragile/'precious', but i think its probably got much more deepseated roots than that in the sense that biologically/evolutionarily, women are more valuable than men and so males tend to protect their females (which is why women feel attracted to men that have the personality and physical body that is able to do this??? and men feel all macho in these sorts of situations???)
Reply 109
Original post by Shan<3
I think they should keep families together where possible :smile:

This really.

I definitely think children should go first, its just human nature to want to save children first. But then I wouldn't want the children to be sent off without their parents. Soo, I'd say actually, send the children and their parents first. Surely protecting the children means making sure they have someone to look after them once they get away from the disaster.
Original post by Playa10
What if there was no sperm bank. All reserved sperm was destroyed before the ship set sail

what if...what if...what if...it's very unlikely.
Original post by lemonabc
people who cannot swim should get a place in the lifeboat first, doesn't matter if it's a child or adult, male or female. it's not fair for a teenage female swimming athlete who can at least keep afloat for much longer to get a place before a male non-swimmer.

where do you think they will get the time to ask if the person can or cant swim???:confused:

if the situation occurs it would be every man child or woman should fend for them selves

everyone would be thinking for the selves and how they would save their own life
Vulnerables first. Helpless children and frail people? Sure - I don't care if the frail are old. Butch female who can lift me up? Outta ma way! me first.

I don't buy this **** about the 'future' so young people before old. Our world is quite severely populated as it is and one big accident aint gonna dent that number. So in that case I'll just help those who my instinct says need the most help and not for some petty reason about the 'future'. If you're really that concerned grab a helpless kid in africa and train him for our future to make up the numbers?
(edited 12 years ago)
you guys are too kind. i would only give my place in a lifeboat for someone i love, definitely not a stranger :s-smilie:
Reply 114
Original post by kuteascake
So, it's been 100 years since the Titanic sank and it's got me thinking. Is the 'women and children first' rule (which isn't always practiced or enforced when a ship is sinking anyway) outdated?

Personally, it strikes me as kind of sexist- why should a woman's life be worth more than that of a man? Us girls are constantly complaining that we still aren't treated as complete equals to men, but surely things like this unwritten rule are hindering our achievement of equality?

I know that if I were on board a sinking ship, I'd give up my space on a lifeboat for somebody else, but I wonder how many others actually would?

Anyway, I'm just interested to know what you guys think; should it be every man for himself, the most vulnerable first or should the captain still order men to step aside for women and children?

Discuss :biggrin:

I neg repped you not because of your overall argument (which I agree with), but because of that comment highlighted. Don't lie, you'd want to preserve your life, as would anyone in that situation. Only an insane person would sacrifice themself for a complete stranger.
Reply 115
Original post by Arekkusu
If women are prioritised, weak men should be too. But this is hard to do when you're on a sinking ship, I don't think it's necessarily people being sexist when saying women should go first. It's tricky to stratify human life in any way like this.

But we must remember Titanic was a different time, when people were dying all the time anyway. People were less sensitive to it back then. This one guy decided he wasn't going to suffer the indignity of jumping in the lifeboat and clinging on desperately to life, he was a millionaire for heaven's sake. So he went back to his cabin to get his top hat and tails and "went down with the ship like a gentleman".

The more scandalous tragedy of Titanic was that they shut the doors on the working-class rabble below decks to keep the air in so the ship would stay buoyant. Even where the third-class passengers did find a way out, they had no hope of getting a lifeboat by that time.

These days the point is completely moot. But people are more individualist these days so they would just go for it like animals probably.

This is a myth popularised by early films (and subsequently the famous 1997 film). They didn't trap the third-class passengers. In fact, more third-class passengers survived than second-class passengers.
Original post by Infallible
How is that cowardly? It's wise.

Are you honestly telling me that you would allow yourself to die so that someone you don't know can live? Give over.

I don't know what I'd do in that situation because I have not really been tested, and I think the same is true for almost everyone else on this thread.

However, if I did act like a coward, then I would acknowledge that I was a coward.
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
you should change your name to 'like a coward'.

at least he/she is being honest. i doubt anyone would give their place in a lifeboat to a stranger when time comes. It is easy to say when you're safe in your home, but when you are actually face-to-face with the situation, you will only think of saving your skin and the ones you love.
Original post by Ice Constricter
Wanting to survive makes you a coward?

No, everyone wants to survive, the question is what you do in a situation where there are lots of others who are in danger as well.
Reply 119
if i was the captain I would be ordering women and children first. im just an old fashioned person. on a related note "lassie-bashing"(a man hitting a woman) is something that he deserves a kicking for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending