The Student Room Group

Dundee or Strathclyde as Insurance ?

Hi everyone !

I'm an Eu applicant for Economics/Mathematics.
My firm will be University of Glasgow but I can't decide between Dundee and Strathclyde. I know there is plenty of threads like this one but it didn't help me.
I've never been in Scotland but I guess I would prefer to be in a city where there are a lot of things to do after school :smile:

I visited http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-uk/University-Of-Strathclyde-ranking/3763/page.html and http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-uk/University-Of-Dundee-ranking/15002/page.html but I can't make my mind up.

If you have any advices or if you did the same choice, please share your experience ! =)
Reply 1
I actually can be of only limited help to you, but will still try :wink:

If you are keen on prestige, consult the major international rankings (QS, THE, Shanghai Uni) and league tables (Times, Guardian, Independent). For example the Guardian ranks both unis quite close for Economics (Strathclydes wins by only 2 places) but in terms of Maths Dundee is well ahead of Strathclyde.

I am also an international applicant, though for another subject (Psychology) and will firm Dundee soon. Have been to an open day and liked it very much. The uni is very modern (a lot of fancy new buildings) and the staff was quite approachable and close to students. They also have some kind of research apprenticeship scheme where students can conduct real research with one of the lecturers. I just got the feeling that the uni really tries to cater for its students and make studying a good experience. Dundee is also ranked quite highly (usually within the Top 200 in the world overall).

I only visited the city for two days and I have to admit that it seems to have somewhat of a bad reputation, but all I heard about it is just from TSR. The city centre does definitely look good, so does the West End. Of cause there's not as much to do as in Glasgow, but Dundee's student union has been rated the best in Scotland several times and there are numerous societies and sport clubs (I will probably join fencing, but you can also dance, play football, row, do archery etc.) you can join.
Reply 2
Hey !

Dundee seems really good but I really want to go in Glasgow so I chose Strathclyde !
Besides, taking bus/train from Glasgow or Edinburgh to join Dundee would annoy me so Strathclyde it is (I'm a little lazy ahah)

Anyway, I'm sure your answer will help other students.

Thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest