The Student Room Group

London Riots manslaughter - Sister of victim "forgives" rioter/murderer: Would You?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd want his blood. If someone killed my sister and they came out after a couple of years I'd hunt them down and kill them myself.
I'd find out his exact release date, roll up and show him whats really good
Original post by Einheri
I'd want his blood. If someone killed my sister and they came out after a couple of years I'd hunt them down and kill them myself.

No you wouldn't. Unless you planned to leave the country and escape a jail bird
Reply 23
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
No you wouldn't. Unless you planned to leave the country and escape a jail bird

I really would, not even slightly kidding. I'd consider myself obligated to do so, in fact.
Original post by Mufasaa
I'd forgive him. Without forgiveness it'd be far more difficult for him to turn over a new leaf, and it's shame for any 17 year old's life (murderer or not) to go to waste like that. Hopefully forgiving him would really help him see the good in people.

Or rather give him something to laugh about.

Original post by Einheri

And why should I stop there? All of his type with the so-called gangster mentality who are of no use or good whatsoever to society should be taken out. Indeed, one could plan an elaborate operation and systematically take out these type of criminal scum (certainly not the stupid Breivik-style where we take out criminals-to-be!).**

*This a purely hypothetical situation. This sentence should be treated as it would a sentence in a novel.

One has to protect themselves these days - I wouldn't want to be prosecuted for encouraging the murder and assassination of certain persons. :colonhash:
Reply 25
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
And why should I stop there? All of his type with the so-called gangster mentality who are of no use or good whatsoever to society should be taken out. Indeed, one could plan an elaborate operation and systematically take out these type of criminal scum (certainly not the stupid Breivik-style where we take out criminals-to-be!).**

*This a purely hypothetical situation. This sentence should be treated as it would a sentence in a novel.

One has to protect themselves these days - I wouldn't want to be prosecuted for encouraging the murder and assassination of certain persons. :colonhash:

I wouldn't stop you.
I couldn't forgive him if he had done this to a relative of mine, in fact I don't forgive him from doing it to a stranger and I hope he gets the longest sentence. The man was doing nothing to threaten him or even towards him but simply trying to protect his own property and stop a fire spreading.

She worries that he has potentially ruined his own future, but he choose to do that by acting with no sense or humanity. He doesn't deserve to be forgiven.
Reply 27
I can understand why someone wouldn't forgive him. Just because they don't forgive him does not mean they are in the wrong. But forgiveness is a powerful thing and we should embrace it more often, our everyday lives is filled with hate, whether we see it on the news or from first hand experience. Sentencing him to death achieves nothing, it will only create more anger.

I completely agree with what the sister has said, he has ruined his own life, it's sad that people don't see that doing something like this will destroy their own lives as well as the lives of the victims family.

We need to stop being so fixated with punishment and start fixing the problems we have in society that lead to people having broken and missing morals. The guy that was convicted could easily have been you or I if we had been brought up in his shoes.

I would like to say I would forgive him, but who knows how I would react in this situation.
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Psycho.

"Oh he punched my elderly brother to death, what a pity for him, hope he turns it around soon" - nutjob.

She felt compassion because she knows he most likely didn't mean to kill.. People forget what a punch can do if your punch is powerful enough..
I would try to forgive. Really being mad and angry only harms you. Of course forgiving that kind of things is hard and takes years but I hope I would be able to do that in the end.

Good thing I believe every single one of us deserves a second chance.
Idealistic? Hell yeah but thinking like this makes me happier than building up anger inside of me.
Humans to stupid things, humans can sink into very dark places and do bad stuff. It is terrible what can happen to human moral and thinking. And the sad thing is in the right conditions all of us would become murderers.

anyways. I would try to forgive.
Hard to say as I've not been in that situation but I don't think I would. I am very protective of those I love and feel very attached to them, if any of them died it would be a great blow to me, if they were killed by another person I suspect I would feel great hatred and rage towards that person and would want them dead. I don't think I would cool off later and forgive them either.
Reply 31
Original post by Einheri

Agreed
It depends. If he showed genuine remorse and sadness over what he'd done, then I would forgive him (but that doesn't excuse him from the punishment of the law). If not, then I probably wouldn't.

“Where there is forgiveness, there God resides"
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 137)

“Anger is dispelled when forgiveness is grasped”
(Guru Granth Sahib, Ang 233)
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
I'd go further. Is there any need for him to exist? It's not as if he was provoked or highly mentally unstable or some other excuse. He was an opportunistic rioter who violently hit a citizen that was attempting to put out a fire. There is simply no need for him. It's harsh, but so is killing a pensioner.

I'm against the death penalty under all circumstances, if that's what you mean?

Also, slightly jealous that you have 54 internets.
Reply 34
I could never forgive someone who took the life of one of my family members.My family has been in that situation and the guy still walks the streets as far as we know.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Nope.
Reply 36
Personally I think it would be an insult to the dead family member if you forgave their murderer.
Original post by Einheri
I really would, not even slightly kidding. I'd consider myself obligated to do so, in fact.

Are you ready to ride the sentence though? Because if you killed the perpetrator in revenge, it would not be 8 years for manslaughter like this guy got.. The sentence you'd get would be more (maybe even murder) because his was a sudden random punch, yours would be a pre-planned mission.
i could never forgive someone who did something like this, ever. this social parasite assaulted the man in cold blood for no reason at all and directly caused his death. only the British legal system would let him off with something as trivial as manslaughter and 8 years.
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
She felt compassion because she knows he most likely didn't mean to kill.. People forget what a punch can do if your punch is powerful enough..

because punching pensioners as long as you don't mean to kill them is fine...

Forgiveness to me is what you do if someone breaks your favourite necklace or your best friend stands you up for her boyfriend. Not when someone kills a member of your family or a friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending