The Student Room Group

GCSE religious studies

I always struggle on gcse RE 5 markers and get 4/5. i can never remember the structure so i was wondering if anyone had model answers for Islam. I use a quote but i never get the final mark and am confused.
I'm not so sure which exam board you follow, so bare in mind that this is from the perspective of someone who uses AQA.

Well this is the structure I've always been taught and it works brilliantly, they're called PEEL paragraphs and for a 5-marker, you only need to write two.
P = Point
E = Evidence/Example
E = Explanation (of evidence and how it demonstrates your point)
L = Link (one sentence at the end which links your paragraph to the question).

For example, let's say the question is: "Explain two Muslim teachings about Tawhid (the Oneness of God)."

One Muslim teaching about Tawhid is that it is the most important quality of Allah. This can be seen from the fact that it is part of the Shahadah (Muslim declaration of faith): "There is only one God, and Muhammad is his final prophet." The Shahadah is the most important of the 5 pillars of Islam. This demonstrates, that because it the most core belief in Islam, that Tawhid is the most important quality of Allah.

Moreover, another teaching regarding Tawhid is that it should never be undermined. This is known as shirk (to elevate someone to the position of Allah or to degrade Allah). In the Quran, it mentions that "Allah forgives not the sin of joining other Gods with him". The fact that Allah, "the Most-Beneficent", who usually "forgives all sins" refuses to forgive those who commit shirk (unless of course they repent whilst alive) displays how serious of a sin it is. As a result, Muslims believe the quality of Tawhid should be valued and respected.

This structure ticks all the boxes for 5 marks on the mark scheme. You get 2 marks per paragraph for a detailed explanation and an accurate teaching. The last mark is for relevant and accurate reference to religious scripture - this can be a quote or a story (though quotes make it clearer to the examiner that you've used religious scripture accurately).

I hope that helps!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LightHades
I'm not so sure which exam board you follow, so bare in mind that this is from the perspective of someone who uses AQA.

Well this is the structure I've always been taught and it works brilliantly, they're called PEEL paragraphs and for a 5-marker, you only need to write two.
P = Point
E = Evidence/Example
E = Explanation (of evidence and how it demonstrates your point)
L = Link (one sentence at the end which links your paragraph to the question).

For example, let's say the question is: "Explain two Muslim teachings about Tawhid (the Oneness of God)."

One Muslim teaching about Tawhid is that it is the most important quality of Allah. This can be seen from the fact that it is part of the Shahadah (Muslim declaration of faith): "There is only one God, and Muhammad is his final prophet." The Shahadah is the most important of the 5 pillars of Islam. This demonstrates, that because it the most core belief in Islam, that Tawhid is the most important quality of Allah.

Moreover, another teaching regarding Tawhid is that it should never be undermined. This is known as shirk (to elevate someone to the position of Allah or to degrade Allah). In the Quran, it mentions that "Allah forgives not the sin of joining other Gods with him". The fact that Allah, "the Most-Beneficent", who usually "forgives all sins" refuses to forgive those who commit shirk (unless of course they repent whilst alive) displays how serious of a sin it is. As a result, Muslims believe the quality of Tawhid should be valued and respected.

This structure ticks all the boxes for 5 marks on the mark scheme. You get 2 marks per paragraph for a detailed explanation and an accurate teaching. The last mark is for relevant and accurate reference to religious scripture - this can be a quote or a story (though quotes make it clearer to the examiner that you've used religious scripture accurately).

I hope that helps!

For edexcel, for the reference to scripture part can you just say Islam teaches............. Or Christianity teaches........... Instead of saying in Hadith/Quran it says

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending