The Student Room Group

Dinner or tea?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Breakfast, lunch, tea - southerner .... maybe im just confused? :s-smilie:
I say dinner and tea. My parents are scottish though. I only say LUNCH for lunch :smile:
Northerner - TEA

Breakfest , dinner , tea
It depends. In my mind it goes breakfast, lunch, tea then dinner.

Tea being anywhere between 2-5pm, dinner being after 6pm.

It probably doesn't help that the word 'tea' is inextricably linked to scones in my mind.

I'm probably just weird, however.
Reply 44
Breakfast, Dinner and Tea. I'm from the Midlands but North Midlands. I've always said it that way. But since I've come to uni there is only me and one other person in the house that says it that way.
Reply 45
I'm French and I call it Tea because I'm so used to living with people from Yorkshire.

I used to be very confused, when my flatmate once asked me 'are you gonna have tea?' as I was cooking in the kitchen, I answered 'no I'm just making some pasta', she was like 'err ok...'
:redface:
Dinner, Midlands.

Tea = tea which I drink usually after school.
Reply 47
Dinner, Southerner.
Generally dinner, although I sometimes say tea because my Mum does (she's from Nottingham). Lunch is always lunch though.

And I'm from the Midlands. :rant:
(edited 12 years ago)
I call it dinner, although I'm neither a southerner or northerner. I'm from the midlands. :smile:
Reply 50
Dinner (Southerner). Lunch is ALWAYS lunch for me!
Reply 51
Tea :smile:
Tea is when you have tea and cakes at around 15:00.

Dinner is the evening meal.
i always used to say tea, until i moves abroad.. there tea meant a cup of.. so since then its been dinner!
Reply 54
They mean different things (to my family) dinner is a big meal, a roast or lasagne or similarin the evening, tea is if you had a big lunch, and then you are having a sandwich or something in the evening
Tea, Midlands.
Dinner. Midlander!
Tea and I'm a Northerner :smile:
Where I'm from (London), "tea" is taken in the literal sense...tea. Usually in the evening around 4-5pm and often accompanied by cucumber sandwiches, biscuits, cakes, scones and all that jazz.

Especially if you're in central London, most of the restaurants and hotels have a tea menu for around that time of the day.
Dinner, I speak properly.

Quick Reply

Latest