The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by City_Gooner
I don't know what to think about when I hear about 'hot' prospects from our reserves. How many players have actually broken through in recent years? Can only think of Wilshere, as regular first-teamer.

Szczesny? Fabregas? Gibbs (not the hottest prospect but still)?
Send him to Blackpool or Villa, a relegation threatened club. That's usually a good way to learn how bad it is to lose.
Original post by Novastream
Szczesny? Fabregas? Gibbs (not the hottest prospect but still)?

Yeah, fair enough.
Reply 1983
Original post by J.Star
What about Afobe? How much of a part did he play in Reading's promotion to the PL?

Very little - he only played a total of 90 minutes, but that was split between 3 massive games in their run in. There was talk shortly after the move of them possibly wanting to keep him on loan next season were they to secure promotion, whether it's Reading or another lower side in the Prem, I think a loan move would be best for him. Wouldn't read too much into him not getting a great deal of game time either, he'd only just recovered from a long term injury when he made the move so wasn't going to be anywhere near as match fit as the others at the club and wanting the experience to take them over the line, it's unsurprising he wasn't given too many opportunities.
Don't forget Song as well! :lol:
Wasn't Cashley from our youth set up as well?
I failed. I admit. Pre-food issue.
Original post by City_Gooner
I failed. I admit. Pre-food issue.

Lol. I find it hard to make valid points when im hungry too. Just had a Large Dominos though, so shouldnt be an issue atm.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Don't forget Song as well! :lol:

Kinda stretching things a tad.

Can I say Rooney came through Utd's academy?
Original post by Kevmeister

Thats like saying the Ox came through the arsenal academy...

It is stretching it a tad, ure right. Rooney was already pretty good before he came from Everton, hence the transfer fee being massive
Reply 1990

The question was about youngsters through the reserves, not the academy.
Original post by JK.
The question was about youngsters through the reserves, not the academy.

One and the same, imo. [for the purposes of this discussion]
Reply 1992
One and the same, imo. [for the purposes of this discussion]

Not really, when he arrived he wasn't near the first team, spent a few years developing at the club before going on loan, returning and beginning to fight for his place. Rooney walked pretty much straight into your team, no?
Original post by JK.
Not really, when he arrived he wasn't near the first team, spent a few years developing at the club before going on loan, returning and beginning to fight for his place. Rooney walked pretty much straight into your team, no?

I meant the academy/reserves not Rooney/Song. I was merely pointing that yous bought Song at a young age, much the same as we bought Rooney at a young age.
Reply 1994
I meant the academy/reserves not Rooney/Song. I was merely pointing that yous bought Song at a young age, much the same as we bought Rooney at a young age.

Aye, but if they're much the same, I don't really see how Song is stretching it, he was nowhere near a finished article when he arrived and it's by that token that the Rooney comparison doesn't work. Age isn't what the discussion's about, it's about how many of our supposed hot prospects (whether through the youth system or bought in with the intention of developing them) have actually turned into anything special, Song being one of those that fits the bill. :dontknow:

Bendtner being a baffling omission and poor oversight on the others guys' behalf. :coma:
Reply 1995
Thought's on Steve Bould and Pat Rice departure? I read somewhere he's been at Arsenal for 44 years, astonishing. Truly a great servant for Arsenal.
Original post by JK.

Bendtner being a baffling omission and poor oversight on the others guys' behalf. :coma:

He's an expensive on going joke. Whats funnier than a man who believes he surpasses the invention of the wheel in terms of greatness?
I think Steve Bould will be a great No2. Hopefully he can sort our defence out.
Original post by Rafa
Thought's on Steve Bould and Pat Rice departure? I read somewhere he's been at Arsenal for 44 years, astonishing. Truly a great servant for Arsenal.

Yeah he's been a great servant for the club, but im glad he's going, we need to freshen things up a bit. Hopefully the board and wenger will follow him soon.
Reply 1999

Im sure everyone here used to have a JVC shirt :u:

Latest