The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mevidek
I think it's Arsenal's season this year. I mean Podolski and Giroud are fantastic, and Oxlade-Chamberlain's getting better and better (he's already great)... I just have a feeling Arsenal'll do it this year.

By the way, I'm an Arsenal fan as well :biggrin:

If only everyone was as optimistic as you :colonhash:

I think we'd be doing very well if we managed to finish behind City, Utd and Chelsea.
I miss football :boring:
Original post by Abbadon27
I miss football :boring:

Join the club.

I disagree with you. There is the possibility for clubs do well under the "sugar daddy" regime at the early stages. After that, there is no chance. Look at the strength PSG have, the strength City have, the strength Chelsea have.

There could be the possibility that a club in a league with a "sugar daddy" could still win it. Every team can have a bad season. However, in the Premier League, you have two teams that are run under the "Sugar daddy" philosophy. As a result, it is near on impossible for both to have a bad season.

Even then, Man Utd's owners don't care about the debt they have and are willing to spend £30m on a 19 year old Brazilian midfielder most haven't even heard of. They are also the biggest commercial powerhouse in world football and hence can get enough money through sponsors.

I just can't see Arsenal ever winning the title with 3 teams that have essentially an unlimited amount of money to spend without Wenger. That is the key part to all of this. Wenger is the only manager that can return this club to greatness. He is the only manager that could still manage to challenge even with all this going on.

My own opinion is that we never will win the title under the current plans. FFP will never stop the likes of Man City and Chelsea spending **** loads to get the best players in the world.

I hope I am proved wrong but it's just a gut feeling mind you.
Original post by Stalin
If only everyone was as optimistic as you :colonhash:

I think we'd be doing very well if we managed to finish behind City, Utd and Chelsea.

To quote ksiolajidebt, "we have Podolski and Giroud who score goals". Like Milan Baros in his prime, you just have to unleash Podolski and he scores shedloads and really excels all the time; Arsenal will do well this season, trust me.
Reply 7985
What position does Valbuena play in primarily? Is he more of a winger or a CAM?

Is he even Arsenal quality?

If so, there is a chance we could get him for a decent price what with Marseille's current financial problems.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
I disagree with you. There is the possibility for clubs do well under the "sugar daddy" regime at the early stages. After that, there is no chance. Look at the strength PSG have, the strength City have, the strength Chelsea have.

There could be the possibility that a club in a league with a "sugar daddy" could still win it. Every team can have a bad season. However, in the Premier League, you have two teams that are run under the "Sugar daddy" philosophy. As a result, it is near on impossible for both to have a bad season.

Even then, Man Utd's owners don't care about the debt they have
and are willing to spend £30m on a 19 year old Brazilian midfielder most haven't even heard of. They are also the biggest commercial powerhouse in world football and hence can get enough money through sponsors.

I just can't see Arsenal ever winning the title with 3 teams that have essentially an unlimited amount of money to spend without Wenger. That is the key part to all of this. Wenger is the only manager that can return this club to greatness. He is the only manager that could still manage to challenge even with all this going on.

My own opinion is that we never will win the title under the current plans. FFP will never stop the likes of Man City and Chelsea spending **** loads to get the best players in the world.

I hope I am proved wrong but it's just a gut feeling mind you.

If this was truly the case then why did we pay out £250k/day over the last year or so to service and repay that debt? We can afford to spend £50m a season and service the debts. If you look when we sold Ronaldo and didn't spend the money on the squad, the money was actually spent on refinancing this debt you speculate that the Glazers don't care about - the same debt they're looking to lessen via a share offering.

Original post by J.Star
What position does Valbuena play in primarily? Is he more of a winger or a CAM?

Is he even Arsenal quality?

If so, there is a chance we could get him for a decent price what with Marseille's current financial problems.

He can play both, and did so for Marseille.

Is Giroud Arsenal quality? If you think Giroud is then Valbuena definitely is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Is Yann M'vila coming or not, I don't know what too believe anymore...
Original post by Kruz
Is Yann M'vila coming or not, I don't know what too believe anymore...

Rennes president:

We have agreed with him that he can be transferred this summer. There are several big foreign clubs interested in him. We are not doing anything to prevent him leaving right now there have not been any offers. He is our international, a player we greatly appreciate. He has spent his entire career at Rennes, from the training centre to the first-team, with [current Rennes coach] Frederic Antonetti giving him his start.

Obviously, we look upon him with something more than endearment. He is a player with the greatest value for us, particularly in emotional terms.

This year, he has acted like a leader. He has fought and bounce back psychologically despite having had a few difficulties.

Taken from here.
Original post by Kevmeister
Rennes president:

Taken from here.

I don't understand, why doesn't want too Wenger make a move :colonhash:
Original post by Kruz
I don't understand, why doesn't want too Wenger make a move :colonhash:

Calm yourself - the same source has just posted a piece saying Rennes sporting director has said bids have been received.

I hate the internet. :colonhash:
TOOO LOOONGG wITHOUUTT REALLL FOOTBALLL!! :frown:
Original post by Kevmeister
If this was truly the case then why did we pay out £250k/day over the last year or so to service and repay that debt? We can afford to spend £50m a season and service the debts. If you look when we sold Ronaldo and didn't spend the money on the squad, the money was actually spent on refinancing this debt you speculate that the Glazers don't care about - the same debt they're looking to lessen via a share offering

I was mistaken. My point was, Man Utd can afford to spend £50 million here and there even though they have massive debt. That obviously is because of the great commercial deals you have.

Arsenal on the other hand don't have that type of funding.
Us Gunners have to wait for the Uefa Financial Fair Play rules to come in. When they do, we'll be the best around due to Wenger's smart low spending and great youth academy. Our time will come, just be patient!
Original post by Darth Vader 7
I was mistaken. My point was, Man Utd can afford to spend £50 million here and there even though they have massive debt. That obviously is because of the great commercial deals you have.

Arsenal on the other hand don't have that type of funding.

Fair enough.

Original post by RedWhiteA
Us Gunners have to wait for the Uefa Financial Fair Play rules to come in. When they do, we'll be the best around due to Wenger's smart low spending and great youth academy. Our time will come, just be patient!

You couldn't be more clueless if you tried. I'm sure you will, though.

Your youth academy is no better than Utd's or City's.
Who has heard about Wenger interest in Ganso? Today Espn featured an article on Arsenal interest on Ganso. He is top quality and the making of a world class midfielder. Honestly I would be delighted if Ganso is rvps replacement. Podolski and Giroud foward with song, chamber and ganso in the midfield! Not forgeting Jack, hopefully he will get fit. Personally we would be happy. I saw the other day live and he top quality. 20 mill quid seems good. I think he will be better then Cesc.
Original post by Xamanus
Who has heard about Wenger interest in Ganso? Today Espn featured an article on Arsenal interest on Ganso. He is top quality and the making of a world class midfielder. Honestly I would be delighted if Ganso is rvps replacement. Podolski and Giroud foward with song, chamber and ganso in the midfield! Not forgeting Jack, hopefully he will get fit. Personally we would be happy. I saw the other day live and he top quality. 20 mill quid seems good. I think he will be better then Cesc.

Podolski Giroud Song
Arteta Wilshere

:lolwut:
Reply 7997
Original post by Stalin
Podolski Giroud Song
Arteta Wilshere

:lolwut:

'Podolski and Giroud forward
with Song, Chamber (or Arteta, as you've put in) and Ganso in midfield'

I would imagine, rather than

'Podolski and Giroud forward with Song,
Chamber and Ganso in midfield'

:p:

The only was it would work like that, though, is if we changed our primary formation:

Podolski Giroud
Ganso
Arteta Wilshere
Song

... which I don't think we will. If we do get an AM like Ganso, it would more likely be:

Podolski Giroud Walcott/Gervinho
Ganso
Wilshere/Arteta Song

Still find it difficult to believe that we'd be in serious contention for Ganso if he were available, though. Though it might be possible if nobody else needs/has a starting spot for a player like him at the moment; Madrid have Ozil, City have Silva/Nasri, United just got Kagawa, Chelsea have Mata/Hazard/Oscar, Juventus just got Asamoah/Pogba, Bayern have Kroos/Muller, Barca have - well, Messi. :colonhash: Unless I'm forgetting someone important (haven't had a wink of sleep all night :redface:) it would seem like it would be us and the Milan clubs contending? Given that he's available, hasn't signed for Internacional and is interested in a move to Europe, of course.
Original post by Abiraleft
x

Wenger is serious about him. He and Gazidis were scouting him at the Colney a few days ago. Apparently, it is extremely rare for Ivan to be at the Colney.

Some people tell me that Ganso isn't as good as everyone hypes him to be. Tbh, I'd prefer Cazorla as it wouldn't directly stunt the growth of Wilshere, Ramsey and Chamberlain.
Reply 7999
surely signing a player like Ganso would be a huge show of ambition for Arsenal atm

Latest