The Student Room Group

OCR English Literature F661

Scroll to see replies

I did Yeats and Frankenstein too! Reading everyone posts is making me think i missed out key aspects of Yeats.. :/
I did paragraphs on:change of physical age, linking to sailing, like symbolism of birds and things and change in idealised and contemporary ireland! Sounds like i did it wrong.. :/
And for Franky i did the first one of suffering and talked about social injustice.. :/ wasn't good though what did everyone else do? Oh god and i had two re exams before so my hand is so dead! My handwriting was rubbish too.. :/ xxx
Reply 161
Hi guys, just wondering what the Frankenstein and Edward Thomas quetions were?
Reply 162
Original post by bookwor4
i completely flunked dorian gray as well, didn't know which question to chose, ended up doing art and i said nothing for it really, couldn't get an argument :frown:

I only wrote two sides of gibbrish, the more i wrote, the worse it got and out of my hand...
Reply 163
Original post by HQazi
I did part a. It was aweful. I never liked that book. though I had contextual reference, and quotes. But i thought i wasnt answering the question....:frown:[/QUOT

was a art? i can't remember, i did art, sorry commented on the other post as well, feeling quite moany
Reply 164
Original post by rose.wakefield
I did Yeats and Frankenstein too! Reading everyone posts is making me think i missed out key aspects of Yeats.. :/
I did paragraphs on:change of physical age, linking to sailing, like symbolism of birds and things and change in idealised and contemporary ireland! Sounds like i did it wrong.. :/
And for Franky i did the first one of suffering and talked about social injustice.. :/ wasn't good though what did everyone else do? Oh god and i had two re exams before so my hand is so dead! My handwriting was rubbish too.. :/ xxx

No I went with physical ageing too with a link to the tattered coat on a stick!
Reply 165
Original post by JJane
I did Dorian Gray :smile: I chose the art and life question, I included quite a bit on aestheticism and I didn't really know what to do about the critics so I just said 'Some critics would say...' etc... I think it went ok though. Which question did you choose?

I did aestheticism, hedonism, new historicism......
I did part a as well. But Im so GLAD that english is OVER. now ive an exam tomro, n then on friday.....
Reply 166
[QUOTE="bookwor4;37582240"]
Original post by HQazi
I did part a. It was aweful. I never liked that book. though I had contextual reference, and quotes. But i thought i wasnt answering the question....:frown:[/QUOT

was a art? i can't remember, i did art, sorry commented on the other post as well, feeling quite moany

Yh, a was art. Its okay :smile:
Original post by CJRO
No I went with physical ageing too with a link to the tattered coat on a stick!

Yeh okay good did that! :smile: What were your other paragraphs? i always find it difficult discussing 'the ways' :/ xx
Reply 168
what did people think of the browning question? as bad as it was for me?
Reply 169
thanks :smile: yeah i did a then, i wasn't sure how to approach the question though, i did it after my browning and i flunked that so i wasn't in the best headspace
Reply 170
Original post by Boom533

LUcky, edexcel was much harder than usual :frown: English is my worst subject, dreading Bio and C2 though :frown: For stats if you do normal distribution/discrete random variables, check out maths247 on youtube, he has a lot of worked examples and explains how to do them all, soooo useful :smile:

Oh man that sucks! At least it is over and done with now though :biggrin: and ooh thank you, I will definitely check that out...

Original post by HQazi
Question 9, part e.....talk about long questions! 15 marks....almost killed me. I counted my marks at the end, I always finish my paper early, even in the past papers. I think I will get around 60ish....I just want that A so bad coz I know S1 and C2 wud be worse than this....

15 MARKS?! :eek: Jeez, the most marks for a single question I've ever come across on the OCR papers is 8 marks. And yeah I can relate, I really want to do really well in this so I'm on slightly safer ground for an A grade... I'm gonna have to work my ass off tomorrow for C2 and the 5 days I have after that until S1.
Reply 171
Original post by katles
Oh man that sucks! At least it is over and done with now though :biggrin: and ooh thank you, I will definitely check that out...

15 MARKS?! :eek: Jeez, the most marks for a single question I've ever come across on the OCR papers is 8 marks. And yeah I can relate, I really want to do really well in this so I'm on slightly safer ground for an A grade... I'm gonna have to work my ass off tomorrow for C2 and the 5 days I have after that until S1.

Yeah, 15. ive S1 on friday and c2 is on next thursday...
Reply 172
Original post by HQazi
I did aestheticism, hedonism, new historicism......
I did part a as well. But Im so GLAD that english is OVER. now ive an exam tomro, n then on friday.....

Me too, it's such a relief! What exams have you got? I have Biology and Chemistry then it's all over :smile:
Reply 173
Oh :smile: Thats good. Um, i have ict tomorrow, then its S1 on friday. Monday, its Biology and lastly its C2 next thursday..... :frown:
Original post by rose.wakefield

Nah, I wrote a lot of similar points to you as well for Yeats :smile:
Didn't talk about social injustice though, i did a bit about social commentary...guess it's nearly the same thing, except mine was more of a "impact of the pursuit of knowledge, science during shelley's age etc" thing.
And it's English, everything is the right answer, it's just how you back it up :smile:

And OMG I has RE exam before as well...edexcel unit 1?

Original post by katles

Yeah thanks god it's over. Never have to do Yeats again :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Frankenstein was honestly a fun book to do though :smile:

Yep, brutal...and if you got part a wrong, all goes down the drain :/ goooood luck with C2 and S1. Got my S1 on friday, C2 next thurs, so a bit of a relief :smile:
Reply 175
Original post by Boom533

Yeah thanks god it's over. Never have to do Yeats again :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Frankenstein was honestly a fun book to do though :smile:

Yep, brutal...and if you got part a wrong, all goes down the drain :/ goooood luck with C2 and S1. Got my S1 on friday, C2 next thurs, so a bit of a relief :smile:

Yeah, I loved doing Mrs Dalloway, Woolf is such a fantastic author... It's gonna be sad parting with it, I feel like I didn't do the novel justice in my essay :frown: damn. OH WELL

Thank you ^^ Good luck to you too!
Original post by Boom533
Nah, I wrote a lot of similar points to you as well for Yeats :smile:
Didn't talk about social injustice though, i did a bit about social commentary...guess it's nearly the same thing, except mine was more of a "impact of the pursuit of knowledge, science during shelley's age etc" thing.
And it's English, everything is the right answer, it's just how you back it up :smile:

And OMG I has RE exam before as well...edexcel unit 1?

Ooo yeh for Frankenstein i talked about selfish romantics obsession with the desire for knowledge, so like victor deserved suffering whilst the inocents did not like monster.. i enjoyed the book i think i may have just mucked up my essay! :/

No, Ocr re..Buddhism and Philosophy..wbu? xx
Reply 177
Original post by bookwor4
i completely flunked dorian gray as well, didn't know which question to chose, ended up doing art and i said nothing for it really, couldn't get an argument :frown:

loool, snap. The least coherent argument I have ever written :rolleyes:
Original post by Wonderstruck
JE was okay, but didn't write enough on Critical approaches (only mentioned two).
Browning would have been great, but my context was pitiful because I somehow forgot to write when it was written etc. Only referenced one, no quotes really. :frown:
Anyone want to reassure me? :P

I wouldn't worry about it :smile:
when they say critical responses they don't necessarily mean, name this critic and state what they say and then respond. Critical views and other readings (AO3) is basically saying "this can be read in this way, or this way" or "The Yellow Wallpaper shows similarities to Jane Eyre" or whatever, and you probably already did that :smile:
Context could be anything, simply mentioning that she was a women in the Victorian era and was therefore suppressed or whatever, counts (:
And referencing to the book, AO2; is not always accounted for by "In chapter 29 Jane says; "...."" It is also simply stating what happens and paraphrasing, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you :smile:
It's over now, so concentrate on doing brilliantly in your other exams; and in the worst case scenario your coursework will bring you up, or you can resit it :smile:

Which Jane Eyre question did you answer?
Original post by CJRO
I did Yeats and 'Turn of the Screw'.
I had been expecting 'Wild Swans at Coole' as it is just intrinsically Yeatsian. However, I wasn't keen on the question. I picked out some bits about ageing and linked it to EGB 'raving autumn shears blossom off the summers wreath'. Then the structure and the half rhymes to show regret linked to among school children. I did write more, but as to what, my mind has gone. I know something about abstract use of adjectives and something else about his unchanging love for Maud Gonne.

For 'Turn of the Screw' I disliked both questions but I went for the Governess as an unreliable narrator. Bad Move! It was the fact they said vulnerable and frightened, it made it quite a narrow question whilst giving you the perception it was much more open. I know I waffled on that one. But on the plus I crammed in about 7 critics quotes which were relevant to my discussion.

Anyone else choose TotS question b?

I did question b, I talked about the frame narrative suggests the gov may not be unreliable but then I talked how she wanted to be like jane eyre therefore she might make up stuff to be like her making her unreliable

I also wrote how she exaggerated floras image therefore she may exaggerate other things making her unreliable

I wrote that because she was scared and the end due to all the sightings she may have miss told how miles actually died and explained all the meanings of the last line like under a horror or psychological reading

I scattered critic quotes and context throughout

I can't remember anything eles I put but it was along those lines do you think that that was ok ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending