The Student Room Group

US Presidential Elections

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
But is a free and open press not obliged to cover his campaign? It has been direly under-represented.

No not in the United States. By forcing the media to cover certain things you are infringing on its ability to be a free and open press. Laws to give equal unbias political coverage tend to fail in the states
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
But is a free and open press not obliged to cover his campaign?

Contradiction in terms.
Original post by Made in the USA
Which pundit is saying Obama will win? :confused:

Anyone who believes that even the American public cannot elect such lunatics as those the Republicans are choosing between in the biggest demonstration of ritualised suicide before an open goal (to mix a few metaphors) the world has ever seen.
Although I think Romney would be a better president than Obama, I think that the election will be close (a lot closer than people think) but that ultimately Obama will be re-elected. But then I think in 2016, Marco Rubio will win and the Republicans will be back in the White House again.
Original post by Swanbow
All I know is that either Obama or Romney will win it, that much is certain............but aside from the obvious despite fielding a weak candidate I think the Republicans might just snatch it as Obama isn't as popular with Middle America, notorious swing voters, as everyone thinks.

Also 80 percent of undecided voters historically break for the challenger, not the incumbent.
Original post by DoubleSided1
See, from a UK point of view - with my only real information coming from a few short segments on news programmes and the daily show, Obama is the obvious choice.

Having said that, however, the news shows only represent what they think the UK wants to hear and the daily show is, well, just the daily show.

The UK press did the same thing in 2004 when they covered the Bush/Kerry election. They had all of Britain believing that John Kerry had it in the bag, that it was a slam dunk and most Americans knew Kerry would lose. This time around we've got an unpopular president with record debt, record energy costs, unemployment, piss-poor economic growth, etc. The only thing he has going for him is that he is "cool" and has a good sense of humor and delivers good speeches.

I not only think Obama will lose, I predict it will be a blowout, a complete landslide victory. Maybe not what we saw with Reagan/Carter but I think Romney will have a solid victory.
Original post by Made in the USA
The UK press did the same thing in 2004 when they covered the Bush/Kerry election. They had all of Britain believing that John Kerry had it in the bag, that it was a slam dunk and most Americans knew Kerry would lose. This time around we've got an unpopular president with record debt, record energy costs, unemployment, piss-poor economic growth, etc. The only thing he has going for him is that he is "cool" and has a good sense of humor and delivers good speeches.

Tbf though, Kerry would had won had it not been for a last minute endorsement by Osama Bin Laden....
Original post by Captain Crash
Tbf though, Kerry would had won had it not been for a last minute endorsement by Osama Bin Laden....

There is no evidence to suggest that. Kerry couldn't have won because he was a boring, flip flopping, condecending ass who managed to be even less charismatic than the idiot the democrats picked in 2000, and that's really saying something.
Obama will win just because the competition is so poor.
Reply 29
I'm hoping Obama will win. He seems just about the only sane-ish person in that presidential mind****.

But the question is: does a sane president make a good president? :biggrin:
mitt romney is the same thing as obama and both are idiots.

Just the fact that Obama signed the NDAA should be enough for Americans to realise whata joke he is. Obama is a good public speaker and thats about it. He doesnt value the constitution and he doesnt value the liberty of the American people.

Mitt Romney is a scumbag who has flip flopped on about every issue.

All the other republican candidates are boderline retarded except for Ron Paul. The only candidate to value liberty and the only candidate who respects the constitution. Also his track record shows consistency. The only unfortunate thing is he may not be able to achieve too much whilst in office.

Ron Paul won't get the nomination, Mitt will. With mitt romney vs obama, obama will probably win but it doesnt make too much of a difference which one of them gets into office. I have seen a few polls of Ron Paul vs Obama showing Paul would win but I am not sure if it would happen in reality.

I hope the liberty movement keeps progressing and gaining support in America. Maybe Rand Paul will run in 2016 or somebody else with similar values.
Reply 32
As a socially liberal Tory in the UK i find the Republican Party in the USA to be extremely distasteful and disappointing when compared to what they could be.

Lets us look at the candidates they put forward this time, a bunch of religious nutters/social authoritarians, Ron Paul who while socially liberal is far from the Libertarian he portrays himself to be but does have good policies economically and then Romney, the Blair of America with no ideology and who is a complete populist.

I think it will be Romney vs Obama (perhaps a late surge of support for Paul) but that Obama will crucify him because Obama at least stands in general for Democrat values.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending