The Student Room Group

IB exams 2012 start tomorrow :o

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beautiful-lion
I'm just barging into this conversation as I am a closet Maths Studies!

Paper 2! I used to think it was worse than Paper 1, and I used to think I was far more likely to run out of time. But I just did a past paper - it took me 55 minutes, I thought I did badly (a tricky q.5) and still got 87%. So maybe there's hope?

Well if you've got 87% in 55 mins there's more than hope.... why worry? Steer it back to English Higher prose... what other stuff did everyone pick up on for "the womanizer" ?
Original post by ShaLa28
Haha we were talking about English A1 HL Paper 2 love. But speaking of Math, I'm going to FAIL tomorrow. Been going through all the Math SL past papers and honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I feel for you - I did Maths SL for a year then dropped down when I realised it made absolutely no difference to my uni application.

Do you work better under pressure though?
Reply 182
Original post by beautiful-lion
I feel for you - I did Maths SL for a year then dropped down when I realised it made absolutely no difference to my uni application.

Do you work better under pressure though?

Definitely. The worst part is when I'm staring at a question for 20 minutes wondering what to do, then when I freak out that there are only 5 minutes remaining, I remember everything and start solving like crazy. I wish I'd dropped down. Like would have been a lot simpler.
Why do anything else but studies??
Reply 184
Original post by joe.robertson11
Well if you've got 87% in 55 mins there's more than hope.... why worry? Steer it back to English Higher prose... what other stuff did everyone pick up on for "the womanizer" ?

Well the minute details like Josephine's characterization? The diction in that passage that described her was meant to give us an overall image of what kind of a person she was right? Like the "helter skelter" pattern and stuff?
Reply 185
Original post by aeyurttaser13
btw guys anyone remember the title of the passage and its author or/and the book it was taken from?

It was from the 10th fontana book of great ghost stories :smile:
Original post by doctor92

hahaha thanks.. ill keep record of it to check the analysis out after im done with math tmrw :smile:
Original post by ShaLa28
Well the minute details like Josephine's characterization? The diction in that passage that described her was meant to give us an overall image of what kind of a person she was right? Like the "helter skelter" pattern and stuff?

Thats a good point, didn't say that haha. Do you reckon she was lying about what Leo asked her? I said there was use of barriers; e.g. language and literal barrier of the door enhanced by the change of dynamic verbs?
Reply 188
The silkworms!? Please.
Good luck all!
You can do it :jive:
Reply 190
Original post by joe.robertson11
Thats a good point, didn't say that haha. Do you reckon she was lying about what Leo asked her? I said there was use of barriers; e.g. language and literal barrier of the door enhanced by the change of dynamic verbs?

I think she was trying to hint something to Austin. I connected that whole part with the title "The Womanizer" saying that the whole passage was about things being different from what they seemed. i.e. Austin was a womanizer, he lusted for Josephine, he's also a little shallow(he thinks she looks sloppy, tone of disgust) and then the part where he says that she looked pretty and he wanted to give her a kiss of a more significant kind? And it seems that she wants something more serious out of the whole relationship.

Well the door was definitely a barrier when Leo slams it. Did you mention anything about the drumstick he was carrying around? I talked about how, in the beginning it gave him a sense of being a toddler, you know it created the imagery of a little child running around with a random everyday item? But then BOOM, he uses it as a weapon.
omg i was doing nov 2011 paper 2 and section B one of the questions is abt sequences and series :') that mustve felt like heaven :redface: wish we wud get such a question in section B :'(
whatr u guys expecting the 3 to be? i feel like trigon, calculus, statistics and vectors, 3 of them
Reply 192
Wait, are you Math SL or studies?
Reply 193
omg i was doing nov 2011 paper 2 and section B one of the questions is abt sequences and series :') that mustve felt like heaven :redface: wish we wud get such a question in section B :'(
whatr u guys expecting the 3 to be? i feel like trigon, calculus, statistics and vectors, 3 of them

I'm not sure if I've seen a Section B Matrices question but I've been preparing for those tonight. And Vectors. And Normal Distribution.

Not that I'm saying anything about P1. :wink: - To be fair, everyone in TZ2 would have finished the paper now as it surely doesn't go further west than the Azores Islands or Ireland, and school there would have already ended. Rules are rules I suppose.
Reply 194
Original post by doctor92

name: Non-Paying Passengers :biggrin:
Original post by Harve
I'm not sure if I've seen a Section B Matrices question but I've been preparing for those tonight. And Vectors. And Normal Distribution.

Not that I'm saying anything about P1. :wink: - To be fair, everyone in TZ2 would have finished the paper now as it surely doesn't go further west than the Azores Islands or Ireland, and school there would have already ended. Rules are rules I suppose.

yea rules r rules..
im just hoping wed get a vector q, which i think is very possible :redface: normal distribution i was doing one now, it appears in section B a lot too.. if matrices or sequences and series, in addition to vectors, does appear ill dance in the exam hall cz thats abt 30 marks guaranteed :P
I've had 4 already?!!?
Reply 197
So now that the maths exams are over... how did everyone feel they went? SL anyone?
Original post by vjmarton
So now that the maths exams are over... how did everyone feel they went? SL anyone?

Im sl.. Since been 24 hours since paper 1 guess we cud discuss that, howd u find it?
Reply 199
Im sl.. Since been 24 hours since paper 1 guess we cud discuss that, howd u find it?

Hmm :s not bad, which probably (unfortuntely) means low grade boudaries. But Q7 was pretty harsh, I didn't get that one, how about you? Looking back... I can think of some pretty silly mistakes I made here and there...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending