The Student Room Group

3rd attempt at UCAT - Should I give up ?

Looking for some honest possibly brutally honest advice here. Should I throw in the towel at this point ?

This is my 3rd time doing the UCAT and even though there has been an improvement in my score, its just not enough to get any interview offers due to rising UCAT cutoffs. :frown:

Context
IGCSEs - 1 A* 7As 2Bs
IB - 36 points with 666 HL in Biology, Chemistry and History
UCAT 2020 - 2080
UCAT 2022 - 2490
UCAT 2023 - 2590

Also its not like I can apply to " low UCAT" universities because for that you'll need to be a 10A*+ (at GCSEs) and 40+ (at IB) student.

So I guess my question is... what now ? Should I just quit despite spending so much time trying to get work experience/volunteering at the hospital ? It feels like such a waste at this point.

However I also can't imagine doing another career..
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Goldengirl2002
Looking for some honest possibly brutally honest advice here. Should I throw in the towel at this point ?

This is my 3rd time doing the UCAT and even though there has been an improvement in my score, its just not enough to get any interview offers due to rising UCAT cutoffs. :frown:

Context
IGCSEs - 1 A* 7As 2Bs
UCAT 2020 - 2080
UCAT 2022 - 2490
UCAT 2023 - 2590

Also its not like I can apply to " low UCAT" universities because for that you'll need to be 10A*+ (at GCSEs) and 40+ (at IB) student.

So I guess my question is... what now ? Should I just quit despite spending so much time trying to get work experience/volunteering at the hospital ? It feels like such a waste at this point.

You've done the UCAT exam so you might as well try to get into a medical school during this application cycle, even though the chances might be low, but failing that you need pursue something else I would say. Would you not be interested in a related medical field, such as biomed, researcher, scientist, medical sales etc? At least that way you will put your hospital work experience to good use. Work experience is never a waste as you learn not just job related skills, but you also develop confidence and interpersonal skills etc, so try not to be too hard on yourself.
Reply 2
You've got two threads running with the same question.

Have you considered BMAT?
I'm sure you'll make a good doctor from just taking a read of this. I also took the UCAT 3 times for differing reasons and did well in them but its just an aptitude test. Don't give up on your dream! Check out Bulgaria if need be.
Original post by lalexm
You've done the UCAT exam so you might as well try to get into a medical school during this application cycle, even though the chances might be low, but failing that you need pursue something else I would say. Would you not be interested in a related medical field, such as biomed, researcher, scientist, medical sales etc? At least that way you will put your hospital work experience to good use. Work experience is never a waste as you learn not just job related skills, but you also develop confidence and interpersonal skills etc, so try not to be too hard on yourself.

According to my research the only university the might MIGHT give me an interview is QUB. No other university would even look at me with my current UCAT score. Should I still make an application for just one university ? Also I did apply to biomed back in 2021 and got offers from all 5 choices. However I decided against biomed because I really don't want to work in a lab and I enjoy conversing with people. Thank you for your response and you're right. I'm just extremely disappointed in myself. It shouldn't take these many attempts to get a "good" UCAT score. It probably means I'm just not smart enough to study medicine and should probably take this as a sign.
Original post by GGIN
You've got two threads running with the same question.

Have you considered BMAT?

Oh dear. The first one had a spelling error and I wanted to delete it but didn't know how. Can you delete threads on tsr ?

Also there are only 3 weeks until the BMAT. Is that enough time to prepare ?
Original post by blabla2020202
I'm sure you'll make a good doctor from just taking a read of this. I also took the UCAT 3 times for differing reasons and did well in them but its just an aptitude test. Don't give up on your dream! Check out Bulgaria if need be.

Thank you for your kind words and that's the biggest problem. I am rubbish at aptitude tests ! I remember my school would make us sit apptitude tests to generate our predicted grades and I would perform quite poorly on them. I was predicted C&Ds at IGCSEs but thankfully ended up with better grades in the end. Also due to visa purposes I can't leave the UK. However I would have loved the opportunity to study medicine abroad.
Thank you for your kind words and that's the biggest problem. I am rubbish at aptitude tests ! I remember my school would make us sit apptitude tests to generate our predicted grades and I would perform quite poorly on them. I was predicted C&Ds at IGCSEs but thankfully ended up with better grades in the end. Also due to visa purposes I can't leave the UK. However I would have loved the opportunity to study medicine abroad.

Hey why don't you sit the bmat it is the last year that this exam will exist. I highly encourage you to sit the bmat.:redface:
I am applying as a graduate for dentistry and I have sat the ucat 6 times now. This time I got my highest score so far 2520 band 2 sjt. Hope it will be fine for my application.
Reply 8

Context
IGCSEs - 1 A* 7As 2Bs
UCAT 2020 - 2080
UCAT 2022 - 2490
UCAT 2023 - 2590

Also its not like I can apply to
Reply 9
According to my research the only university the might MIGHT give me an interview is QUB. No other university would even look at me with my current UCAT score. Should I still make an application for just one university ? Also I did apply to biomed back in 2021 and got offers from all 5 choices. However I decided against biomed because I really don't want to work in a lab and I enjoy conversing with people. Thank you for your response and you're right. I'm just extremely disappointed in myself. It shouldn't take these many attempts to get a "good" UCAT score. It probably means I'm just not smart enough to study medicine and should probably take this as a sign.

It looks like you would now be considered a mature non-grad by most med schools (as you do not mention a degree?)
This can be an issue as most ask for some form of academic endeavour in the 2 years before you start the course, so do check this out carefully.
As you say, QUB would be an option, as may Sunderland (not sure on their mature non-grad policy).
Southampton has a different cut off for this category and it is generally much lower
Other med schools may ask for GAMSAT (I think Plymouth and Exeter do), so check requirements carefully and ask some of them how they would treat a mature non-grad

Context
IGCSEs - 1 A* 7As 2Bs
UCAT 2020 - 2080
UCAT 2022 - 2490
UCAT 2023 - 2590

Also its not like I can apply to " low UCAT" universities because for that you'll need to be 10A*+ (at GCSEs) and 40+ (at IB) student.

Consider international unis ie. Grenada, Cyprus, etc. They ask for lower IB points and yours are pretty good. They also don't require UCAT. St.Georges School of Medicine in Grenada will take you in almost*certainly, but it is quite expensive. They also have a rolling application process where you can enrol in either August*or January.

Good luck and don't give upp!!
Reply 11
Also due to visa purposes I can't leave the UK. However I would have loved the opportunity to study medicine abroad.

Original post by ssanaareese
Consider international unis ie. Grenada, Cyprus, etc. They ask for lower IB points and yours are pretty good. They also don't require UCAT. St.Georges School of Medicine in Grenada will take you in almost*certainly, but it is quite expensive. They also have a rolling application process where you can enrol in either August*or January.

Looks like that is not an option
Original post by Greekdentist
Hey why don't you sit the bmat it is the last year that this exam will exist. I highly encourage you to sit the bmat.:redface:
I am applying as a graduate for dentistry and I have sat the ucat 6 times now. This time I got my highest score so far 2520 band 2 sjt. Hope it will be fine for my application.

I am currently thinking about it actually. I don't know if I'll have enough time to study for it though. The problem with the BMAT is that I can only apply to 1 university with it - BSMS. Also BMAT is after the application deadline which makes wonder what will happen if I bomb the test.

Also wow ! props to you for attempting it 6 times and getting your best score yet ! Are you currently working while you wait for medical school or are you still studying ?
Original post by GANFYD
It looks like you would now be considered a mature non-grad by most med schools (as you do not mention a degree?)
This can be an issue as most ask for some form of academic endeavour in the 2 years before you start the course, so do check this out carefully.
As you say, QUB would be an option, as may Sunderland (not sure on their mature non-grad policy).
Southampton has a different cut off for this category and it is generally much lower
Other med schools may ask for GAMSAT (I think Plymouth and Exeter do), so check requirements carefully and ask some of them how they would treat a mature non-grad

Thank you for your response. The past year I did happen to email a couple of universities and they didn't seem to have an issue with be being a mature non-graduate. Although I emailed then asking about a GCSE maths resit and just mentioned that I am a mature non-graduate.

I was planing to sit the GAMSAT this September but due to personal circumstances I couldn't. However I am willing to attempt it in March 2024.
During these 2-3 years I have also been taking MOOCs (no certificates though),done some preparation for GAMSAT. I also did sit GCSE physics in June (for QUB).

Unfortunately Sunderland is not an option because even though they require 35 IB points, they want 665 at SL and I only have 655.
I don't quality for Southampton non-mature graduate entry because I will be 21 after the UCAS application deadline has past.

Plymouth wants GAMSAT if you've been out of education for more than 5 + years and I have only been out of education for 2 years and 2 months. This will be my 3rd gap year though.

Should I just apply to QUB ?
Original post by ssanaareese

Thank you for the suggests ! but unfortunately I cannot leave the UK at the moment. I remember applying to university of Nicosia in Cyprus and did get an offer but couldn't accept it due to not being able to leave the UK.

Thank you I might try again if my mental health and motivation allows me to do so ! :redface:
Original post by GANFYD
Looks like that is not an option

awe i see
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending