The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this thread has been posted a few times :L but here I go again...

A4 - electoral systems (FPTP or AMS)
B5 or B6 - the welfare state or gender/ethnic inequalities and a question related to health
C9 - the president and his powers or participation in election
C11 - the role of aid or focus on bad governance

DME - health? school meals or alcohol tax or fat tax etc.
I'm pretty much the same as scottish19, although for C11 we're thinking it's DFID or a bilateral aid question.

For the DME we've been told minimum pricing or child benefit could be likely seeing is they were in the news when the exam was being written.
Reply 3
Original post by scottish19
DME - health? school meals or alcohol tax or fat tax etc.

DragonWalnut157
For the DME we've been told minimum pricing or child benefit could be likely seeing as they were in the news when the exam was being written.

For the DME my teacher doesn't think it will be about school meals as that would be too easy supposedly. However I hope it's about school meals as that's the only topic I have background knowledge for and I did it for my NAB and prelim! :bigsmile:

Also, my teacher agrees that it could be about Child Benefit due to it being in the news recently.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by DragonWalnut157
I'm pretty much the same as scottish19, although for C11 we're thinking it's DFID or a bilateral aid question.

For the DME we've been told minimum pricing or child benefit could be likely seeing is they were in the news when the exam was being written.

Cant they ask a question just about DFID? The Africa questions are usually very vague and not specific to one agency/department.
Looking back... last years questions were so good!
Reply 6
For A1 my school has been thinking Local councils. Its not appeared since 2008 and has only ever had one question and with the local elections happening today. It seems a possibility.

A4 We had some thoughts on STV and AMS. Either one there is a possibility of it being linked to FPTP

B5&6 Government reports. NHS Aims and a question relating to health.

The USA Question. Possibly to do with the ethnic vote importance or the powers of the president with checks and balances. Again this has not been done in such a long time and with it being an election year the possibility is perhaps higher than normal to have this type of question.

The DME: I had suspicions of it being on the universal credit as currently the reforms to the benefit systems include universal credit.

Just an input on the school meals thing. I seriously doubt school meals will come up because I think it was once a NAB for modern studies. However if it does I will have sufficient background knowledge for it so I am not worrying about that. I really think there is a chance it will be on universal credit or something similar.
Cant they ask a question just about DFID? The Africa questions are usually very vague and not specific to one agency/department.

My teacher said it's a possible NAB question so they can ask about it in the exam. Although she said because they're not being as specific they could ask a general bilateral aid question about several organisations (Like USAid)
Reply 8
My teacher has told us to look at

A-Backbench influence
-PM powers
-FPTP/AMS/STV
-what influences voting

B-lifestyle choices
-social and economic inequalities
-recent gov. policies to help poverty

C-powers of congress and president
-political influence of ethnic minorities
Reply 9
Possible DMEs:

- Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
- higher education
- positive discrimination
- minimum pricing alcohol
- caring for the elderly
- charges for hospital stays
- child benefit
- the winter fuel payment
- free school meals
- free childcare
- taxing unhealthy food
- consultation charges
I'm putting my money on minimum pricing of alcohol...then again, that could be too obvious?
Reply 11
Original post by omgpaulthompson
I'm putting my money on minimum pricing of alcohol...then again, that could be too obvious?

That would be a good one yet again it is a tad obvious.

I was wondering if it could be the possibility of universal credits with benefit reform.
the universal credit is only beginning to be phased in the now and the effects wont be obvious until at least next year, so I think they would keep that one for next year and do a health DME this year.

In response to minumum alcohol pricing, that was in the news whilst the paper was being written so there is a chance that it might be that.
Anyone have guesses for South Africa?
I'm hoping its about one party state!
anyone think that if they do a local authorities question in A1 that they wont do STV vs FPTP, as thats two local authority relating questions??

Also, I think the usa question will be ethnic minority influence and the dme will be either alcohol minimum pricing, smoking ban, child obesity, free school meals or benefits!
Reply 15
It seems to me that not many people are doing A2 questions. But if you are, what do you think? Last year it was pressure groups which I'm sort of glad about. I hope it's powers of the PM even though I still get confused by it (I find A2 really difficult).
i never got taught a2 only a4 and a1!
Original post by dontlikehighers
anyone think that if they do a local authorities question in A1 that they wont do STV vs FPTP, as thats two local authority relating questions??

Also, I think the usa question will be ethnic minority influence and the dme will be either alcohol minimum pricing, smoking ban, child obesity, free school meals or benefits!

The last STV question came up in 2010 (which isn't that long ago) so I would be pretty surprised if that came up again so soon. AMS and FPTP seem a lot more likely.
Money going on DME being about consulting charges personally, or furthur private sector influence in the NHS as it was quite topical at the time the paper's would have been written.
The last STV question came up in 2010 (which isn't that long ago) so I would be pretty surprised if that came up again so soon. AMS and FPTP seem a lot more likely.

There was one of those in 2007, although it doesn't mean it won't come up this year, I think a two party question is more likely due to the current coalition situation :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending