The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography Unit 3 Pre-Release: Water Conflicts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
has anyone got any good research links about the three water management schemes? (figure 11):smile:
Reply 41
My teacher said it's good to do extra research using the websites given on the last page of the pre-release. Has anyone actually used those websites?
Reply 42
Conflicts in South-East Asia

Spoiler

Dams in South-East Asia

Spoiler

Urban Development

Spoiler

Organisations and Agreements

Spoiler

Water Management Schemes

Spoiler

General Information

Spoiler

That is all the notes and research I have about the pre-release. It includes information from those websites that are listed. I apologies if there are any typo or anything, just quote me if there is something that doesn't make any sense.

I hope that is of some use!
Reply 43
Original post by Charlesworth

Spoiler

Dams in South-East Asia

Spoiler

Urban Development

Spoiler

Spoiler

Water Management Schemes

Spoiler

General Information

Spoiler

That is all the notes and research I have about the pre-release. It includes information from those websites that are listed. I apologies if there are any typo or anything, just quote me if there is something that doesn't make any sense.

oh my gosh, thank you sooo much!!
God bless you!
Reply 44

Spoiler

Dams in South-East Asia

Spoiler

Urban Development

Spoiler

Spoiler

Water Management Schemes

Spoiler

General Information

Spoiler

Thanks! I was really struggling with what to write about future mangement schemes.

Good luck on Wednesday everyone!
Reply 45
gosh I'm so not feeling confident for this exam!!!!!

for people doing energy security and tech fix what have you got as your KEY case studies???
Reply 46
Hi, I was wondering what sort of question would you talk about transboundary disputes of water?
Reply 47
Original post by Naom1
gosh I'm so not feeling confident for this exam!!!!!

for people doing energy security and tech fix what have you got as your KEY case studies???

Hey :smile:
don't feel too bad, i don't think anyone feels that confident for geography, there is just ridiculous amounts to remember, especially if you're revising all 6 topics in the beginning like me, although i am focusing on energy, superpowers and probably development as they link nicely together.

For energy i'd say your case studies want to focus on the global supply and demand for energy, The one about Russia supplying most of Europe is actually quite interesting, the power of how it can cut off the gas to any country it likes through the giant pipelines! (as it did to the Ukraine in i can't remember what year) (This case study is also good for superpowers, see how they link?)
It's also interesting Russia has decided to build a brand new pipeline straight to Germany, which by-passes the other poorer eastern european countries. This is thought to be because Germany at the moment, has the strongest economy in europe. Russia is cleverly increasing its international relations buy supplying them, but cleverly will cut out countries like Estonia, and Latvia who offer no benefit to Russia. (Other than having some sort of legacy through the break down of the soviet union) You could also look at the demand for oil, what happened in the Iran-iraq war, 1980-1988, and stuff like the oil crisis, peak oil, etc. Corruption also occurs in LEDC's that can't control who takes the oil or are in constant conflict over it. Countries like this include Nigeria who have a natural abundant supply of oil but have corroded pipes and a corrupt government in charge of distribution. You often have conflict between indigenous tribes who claim leaked oil in the river is theres, and they should be recieving profit from the state. Interestingly, the mangrove swamps absorb this oil and re-secrete it every year, killing themselves (ecocide) not really relevant, just interesting. Other corrupt oil rich countries include the smaller eastern european and eurasian countries like Azerbaijan, terrible for their corruption, but Baku the capital city looks like a lovely place. Anyway, The 10 marker though rarely asks for case studies, you can drop in a few for a few extra marks, it mainly wants you to focus on explaining the reasoning behind the figure it gives you, unless it states "Using specific examples" Which the 15 mark usually focuses on

I personally think a question about the future of energy may come up for the 15 marker, that's the one where you have to give a lot of specific examples. For this you could examine how it's becoming increasingly dangerous to transport Oil and Gas (explosive and targeted by terrorists) So countries are turning to LNG (liquified natural gas) which is safer and can be transferred over much longer distances, as far as Australia to Poland! This means that the energy players lose a bit of power which they won't be happy about !
Future energy security will decline in a business as usual approach, and we will tend to turn to coal more as reserves run dry, and cause major environmental degradation - Look at what's happening in Canada with the extraction of Oil Shale and Oil sands. The next future is to have a rich energy mix, so not being so reliant on one type of import from one country. England in particular is looking a wind power, a new farm is being built off the south east cost, (There is also a really big one in denmark or something too?) They are good, but unsightly to some people, make loud noises and are a danger to birds. It's also thought they interfere with the Ministry Of Defences satellite signals, which isn't good! Biodiversity of fish species actually increases around them though, as no bird prey or fishermen go near them! Energy can also come from nuclear energy, This is thought to be 'clean' as no net emissions are actually produced in the process (uranium through nuclear fission produces steam that turns turbines for energy) however, CO2 is obviously produced in the extraction of it. France is currently the country that uses the most nuclear power. It's dangers thought are obvious, the incidental radiation poisoning and birth defects from Chernobyl and more recently, the 2011 Fukushima power plant in Japan means it lacks public trust. Coal is also thought to provide up to 55% of energy in the future as it is more of abundant supply. There are obviously costs and benefits for other types of energy as well Hydroelectric power, Solar energy, Wave Energy, you know blah blah blah. The third type of energy is energy conservation which is obviously, if we use less, there's less CO2 less demand for energy, everyone is happy! (but with countries like China, this is not going to be achieved.)

Anyway i hope some of these case studies help you, Most all of them can be found in the big green A2 Book they're highlighted in there, just look at them and try to remember numbers and percentages for some - That's my downfall!

Also, try writing out a comment like this, I was pleasently surprised with how much i remembered! i last looked at energy on friday.

I personally think the technological fix is a very wishy-washy unit the case studies are poo and it's hard to define things and pick up marks, you may want to focus on superpowers or development that have clear, easy to remember case studies and theories you can apply to (They make you look 10x better!)

Hope this helps you get revising and good luck everyone!!!
does anyone know how much time we're supposed to spend on each section?
Reply 49
I think it's 80 minutes on Section A and 70 Minutes on Section B.
Original post by josephhhh
I think it's 80 minutes on Section A and 70 Minutes on Section B.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 51
Does anyone have any tips on how to evaluate/assess in the questions?
Does anyone have any tips on how to evaluate/assess in the questions?

Not too sure of this myself but I think it's basically weighing up the advantages/disadvantages and ranking them in order of importance through your points; so do the benefits outweigh the costs and vice versa.. Or something like that :smile:
Is anyone considering doing technological fix ? So far I've looked at case studies for floor defences like Dhaka , gm crops etc but does anyone else have anymore ? :smile: x
Reply 54
Original post by UKDaza
Hi, I was wondering what sort of question would you talk about transboundary disputes of water?

Any question about threats to future supplies, potential future conflicts (eg. downstream impacts of dams India/Bangladesh), if it asks to asses the 3 management schemes bring transboundary disputes of water in when you assess the dams.
Reply 55
Original post by Jordan_
Hey :smile:
don't feel too bad, i don't think anyone feels that confident for geography, there is just ridiculous amounts to remember, especially if you're revising all 6 topics in the beginning like me, although i am focusing on energy, superpowers and probably development as they link nicely together.

For energy i'd say your case studies want to focus on the global supply and demand for energy, The one about Russia supplying most of Europe is actually quite interesting, the power of how it can cut off the gas to any country it likes through the giant pipelines! (as it did to the Ukraine in i can't remember what year) (This case study is also good for superpowers, see how they link?)
It's also interesting Russia has decided to build a brand new pipeline straight to Germany, which by-passes the other poorer eastern european countries. This is thought to be because Germany at the moment, has the strongest economy in europe. Russia is cleverly increasing its international relations buy supplying them, but cleverly will cut out countries like Estonia, and Latvia who offer no benefit to Russia. (Other than having some sort of legacy through the break down of the soviet union) You could also look at the demand for oil, what happened in the Iran-iraq war, 1980-1988, and stuff like the oil crisis, peak oil, etc. Corruption also occurs in LEDC's that can't control who takes the oil or are in constant conflict over it. Countries like this include Nigeria who have a natural abundant supply of oil but have corroded pipes and a corrupt government in charge of distribution. You often have conflict between indigenous tribes who claim leaked oil in the river is theres, and they should be recieving profit from the state. Interestingly, the mangrove swamps absorb this oil and re-secrete it every year, killing themselves (ecocide) not really relevant, just interesting. Other corrupt oil rich countries include the smaller eastern european and eurasian countries like Azerbaijan, terrible for their corruption, but Baku the capital city looks like a lovely place. Anyway, The 10 marker though rarely asks for case studies, you can drop in a few for a few extra marks, it mainly wants you to focus on explaining the reasoning behind the figure it gives you, unless it states "Using specific examples" Which the 15 mark usually focuses on

I personally think a question about the future of energy may come up for the 15 marker, that's the one where you have to give a lot of specific examples. For this you could examine how it's becoming increasingly dangerous to transport Oil and Gas (explosive and targeted by terrorists) So countries are turning to LNG (liquified natural gas) which is safer and can be transferred over much longer distances, as far as Australia to Poland! This means that the energy players lose a bit of power which they won't be happy about !
Future energy security will decline in a business as usual approach, and we will tend to turn to coal more as reserves run dry, and cause major environmental degradation - Look at what's happening in Canada with the extraction of Oil Shale and Oil sands. The next future is to have a rich energy mix, so not being so reliant on one type of import from one country. England in particular is looking a wind power, a new farm is being built off the south east cost, (There is also a really big one in denmark or something too?) They are good, but unsightly to some people, make loud noises and are a danger to birds. It's also thought they interfere with the Ministry Of Defences satellite signals, which isn't good! Biodiversity of fish species actually increases around them though, as no bird prey or fishermen go near them! Energy can also come from nuclear energy, This is thought to be 'clean' as no net emissions are actually produced in the process (uranium through nuclear fission produces steam that turns turbines for energy) however, CO2 is obviously produced in the extraction of it. France is currently the country that uses the most nuclear power. It's dangers thought are obvious, the incidental radiation poisoning and birth defects from Chernobyl and more recently, the 2011 Fukushima power plant in Japan means it lacks public trust. Coal is also thought to provide up to 55% of energy in the future as it is more of abundant supply. There are obviously costs and benefits for other types of energy as well Hydroelectric power, Solar energy, Wave Energy, you know blah blah blah. The third type of energy is energy conservation which is obviously, if we use less, there's less CO2 less demand for energy, everyone is happy! (but with countries like China, this is not going to be achieved.)

Anyway i hope some of these case studies help you, Most all of them can be found in the big green A2 Book they're highlighted in there, just look at them and try to remember numbers and percentages for some - That's my downfall!

Also, try writing out a comment like this, I was pleasently surprised with how much i remembered! i last looked at energy on friday.

I personally think the technological fix is a very wishy-washy unit the case studies are poo and it's hard to define things and pick up marks, you may want to focus on superpowers or development that have clear, easy to remember case studies and theories you can apply to (They make you look 10x better!)

Hope this helps you get revising and good luck everyone!!!

Thank you so much hun! Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by saltypopcorn
Not too sure of this myself but I think it's basically weighing up the advantages/disadvantages and ranking them in order of importance through your points; so do the benefits outweigh the costs and vice versa.. Or something like that :smile:

ah okay, that makes sense :biggrin: thanks!
In terms of case studies,i ain't gona bother too much on,i mean remember a few examples,e.g gazprom for energy,but im not learning specific figures. For stuff like development gap you can literally name drop any African nation. Im gona focus on concepts and ideas where i can just link examples into :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by suzanneyoung
Is anyone considering doing technological fix ? So far I've looked at case studies for floor defences like Dhaka , gm crops etc but does anyone else have anymore ? :smile: x

i have looked at technological fix and there is case stuides for all the types of geoengineering, micro-generation for a sustainable future, ddt and cfcs for externalities, moblie phones for leapfrogging and you can use any thing for the life cycles such as how listening to music change.

i hope this helps :smile:
Reply 59
For the pre release which management scheme does everyone think is the best option?

Intermediate technology
International Agreements
Large dams

I was thinking maybe the agreement but really dont know which would be best.:confused:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending