The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography Unit 3 Pre-Release: Water Conflicts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jemwallis
i have looked at technological fix and there is case stuides for all the types of geoengineering, micro-generation for a sustainable future, ddt and cfcs for externalities, moblie phones for leapfrogging and you can use any thing for the life cycles such as how listening to music change.

i hope this helps :smile:

Tech fix is quite a nice one,cos a lot of things you can use from the other topics.you can even use the prerelease for megaprojects like dams.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by nibbles30
For the pre release which management scheme does everyone think is the best option?

Intermediate technology
International Agreements
Large dams

I was thinking maybe the agreement but really dont know which would be best.:confused:

Shouldn't matter which one you say if a question on it comes up. As long as you say why. Just look at different SEE impacts of each. Hell, you'll probably be able to say no one scheme is ideal and that different schemes help different people in different situations, or that a mix of them is ideal.

Reply 62
hey does anyone have any sample possible questions??
Original post by Charlesworth
Conflicts in South-East Asia

Spoiler

Dams in South-East Asia

Spoiler

Urban Development

Spoiler

Organisations and Agreements

Spoiler

Water Management Schemes

Spoiler

General Information

Spoiler

That is all the notes and research I have about the pre-release. It includes information from those websites that are listed. I apologies if there are any typo or anything, just quote me if there is something that doesn't make any sense.

I hope that is of some use!

Holy Hell. You Ma'am are a God.
Reply 64
Original post by 05hedgh
hey does anyone have any sample possible questions??

1. To what extent does environmental change threaten the economic development and ecological wellbeing of the region?
2. Evaluate the relative importance of the threats facing water security in the region.
3. Explain how the growing economic power of India and China could lead to increasing water conflicts in the region.
4. Assess the human and physical factors that affect water supply in the Himalaya region.
5. Evaluate the contribution the strategies shown in Fig 11 might make in managing water supplies in the region and beyond.
6. Comment on the future role the strategies shown in Fig. 11 will play in reducing water stress in the region and beyond.
7. Suggest how the transboundary nature of the rivers affect water security (12)
Reply 65
My teacher gave me quite a lot, probably won't be the exact wording but the basis of the questions will be the same;

Examine the factors that have led to the increasing water stress in the Himalayas region (14 marks)
Evaluate how sustainable the water management schemes can be (12 marks)
Assess the extent to which the Himalayan region in South East Asia is on the brink of international conflict stemming from water insecurity (14 marks)

ALSO;
Suggest how the transboundary nature of rivers affect water security (12 marks)
Identify the threats to future water security (8 marks)
Examine the opportunities & challenges facing the countries in the Himalayas (12 marks)
Assess the advantages & disadvantages of building dams (12 marks)
Discuss the social, economic & environmental impact of water conflicts on the development of the region (18 marks)
Examine the possible barriers that water stress may bring to the region (8 marks)
Outline the impacts of using water management schemes (12 marks)
Examine the roles of different people in managing water security (12 marks)
Identify the causes of conflict over the use of the Mekong & suggest how these conflicts can be solved (14 marks)
Reply 66
How do people plan on using the views at the back of the pre release, if at all?
Original post by jemwallis
i have looked at technological fix and there is case stuides for all the types of geoengineering, micro-generation for a sustainable future, ddt and cfcs for externalities, moblie phones for leapfrogging and you can use any thing for the life cycles such as how listening to music change.

i hope this helps :smile:

Thank you it has :smile: !
Reply 68
Original post by setfire
My teacher gave me quite a lot, probably won't be the exact wording but the basis of the questions will be the same;

Examine the factors that have led to the increasing water stress in the Himalayas region (14 marks)
Evaluate how sustainable the water management schemes can be (12 marks)
Assess the extent to which the Himalayan region in South East Asia is on the brink of international conflict stemming from water insecurity (14 marks)

ALSO;
Suggest how the transboundary nature of rivers affect water security (12 marks)
Identify the threats to future water security (8 marks)
Examine the opportunities & challenges facing the countries in the Himalayas (12 marks)

Assess the advantages & disadvantages of building dams (12 marks)
Discuss the social, economic & environmental impact of water conflicts on the development of the region (18 marks)
Examine the possible barriers that water stress may bring to the region (8 marks)
Outline the impacts of using water management schemes (12 marks)
Examine the roles of different people in managing water security (12 marks)
Identify the causes of conflict over the use of the Mekong & suggest how these conflicts can be solved (14 marks)

THANK YOUUUUU!!!!! when it says " himalays region where does it mean! just all the countries on the pre release??
Reply 69
what day is this exam, just out of interest?
Reply 70
reading through what everyone else has said about the pre release, I'm confused about why we have to be synoptic?? never been mentioned in my lessons and some help before tomorrow would be useful!
Conflicts in South-East Asia

Spoiler

Dams in South-East Asia

Spoiler

Urban Development

Spoiler

Organisations and Agreements

Spoiler

Water Management Schemes

Spoiler

General Information

Spoiler

That is all the notes and research I have about the pre-release. It includes information from those websites that are listed. I apologies if there are any typo or anything, just quote me if there is something that doesn't make any sense.

I hope that is of some use!

Would we need to know much more? Really stuck on section B
:frown:
Reply 72
Original post by Elizabethsmith
Would we need to know much more? Really stuck on section B
:frown:

That is everything I am going to learn, so hopefully it will be enough :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by The Umpire
what day is this exam, just out of interest?

Tomorrow :tongue:
That is everything I am going to learn, so hopefully it will be enough :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing your wealth of information :smile:
I was just wondering about some of facts you used, it says glacial melt has decreased by 6%, but was there a time span?? or was that from figure 10. figure 10 confuses me :s-smilie:
Reply 75
Hey everyone
Thanks for sharing all your info.
How are you actually revising for this? Just learning facts?
:cool:
Original post by ChrisJ
How do people plan on using the views at the back of the pre release, if at all?

I might use them in the sense that some of them show some of the different positive and negatives of dams,effect of climate change,China and the impact of their dams etc.

Tip guys,looked through past part b q and thing to remember when answering,name specific countries when answering,not just 'dams in the himalaya have....':yes:

Original post by OlaOlaOla
Hey everyone

Part a,learned key concepts and idea,with brief locations (wouldn't call em case studies as im just backing up ideas with locations :smile: )
Part b,thorough read through so when doin q i shouldn't need to waste time searching through booklet for ideas

Reply 79
Original post by OlaOlaOla
Hey everyone

Yeah, just learnt as many case studies as I think I will need - hopefully they will be relevant for tomorrow! I went through mark schemes today to see what is usually required. Too late to do anymore exam practice though, a bit worrying though as I haven't done any in timed conditions :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending