The Student Room Group

Feeling down about Maths Studies paper 2!

Hey fellow IB'ers,

I know we're not allowed to talk about the maths studies paper 2 but I just wanted to know if you can still pass maths studies i.e get a 3/4 if you do really well in paper 1 but not so well in paper 2 and you have a 4 for your coursework...I don't really understand the grade boundaries...

x
Reply 1
we're allowed to talk about it now :smile: were you TZ1 or 2?

I only know the grade boundaries for a 7 but yes you can pass :smile: don't worry!
I did TZ2, I really hope I do..the worst thing was is that I knew what i was doing but because I spent so much time on question 1 and 2 i started to panic then i quickly did 3 htne i panicked some more had to go outside and get fresh air etc..I wish we had two hours for that paper.. :frown:
Reply 3
Yeah paper 2 was pretty hard, I solved all of the questions apart from question 1 - why IB why would you ask about conditional probabilities.
Original post by momentalus
Yeah paper 2 was pretty hard, I solved all of the questions apart from question 1 - why IB why would you ask about conditional probabilities.

Question 1 was worded soooo weirdly - I didn't really understand what they were asking at all :/
Reply 5
Question 1 was one of the easiest questions for me! Probability is my baby when it comes to maths - it's about the only thing I can do xD I am really worried about paper 2 though, I left out the ENTIRE question 5, I couldn't answer a single thing! That's a 19 mark question!!! And to top it off I was running out of time on question 4 so I missed 8 marks out on that page 0__0
Original post by xamiexpokex
Question 1 was one of the easiest questions for me! Probability is my baby when it comes to maths - it's about the only thing I can do xD I am really worried about paper 2 though, I left out the ENTIRE question 5, I couldn't answer a single thing! That's a 19 mark question!!! And to top it off I was running out of time on question 4 so I missed 8 marks out on that page 0__0

I love probability, but I had no idea what they were asking! Did they want the probability of her catching a fish on a windy day, or any day...? etc...

We are completely opposite because I loved q.5! All of the "prove that V = this" meant that you knew when you got it right
Reply 7
Hi,
do you think that paper 1 was too easy or that paper 2 was rather too difficult?
For me, p1 was a piece of cake, but I guess I will lose at leas 25 marks on p2...

How about you? How did you find the level of difficulty?
paper 1 was something I could handle...I should get atleast 50% of marks...paper 2 blew me out of the water and I was worrying about time..
Reply 9
Paper 1 was great, until I got to the differential calculus and trig functions. Paper 2, I foudn the probability rather difficult, and I didn't have time for the last question with the calculus even though I was working really fast. Did anyone else find the second paper too long?
Reply 10
Yes. P2 was definitely too long and there wasn't sufficient time to do it. I wish they changed the 7 boundary for like 67 points out of 90, instead of last years 72...
Reply 11
Paper 1 was harder for me, I'm expecting at about 65/90 on the safe side, 75 if I'm lucky. Paper 2 I found MUCH easier... funny that it seems to be the other way round for most people! The probability question was slightly tricky, but the only part which I found tricky was about 2 marks so it was okay.

I finished P2 in the nick of time, managed to get 2.67 for x and scribble down the last answer (2 tins of paint) just before the time ran out so I came out feeling pretty good.

I spoke to my Math teacher (the teachers get the papers 1 day after we give the exam) and she said that Paper 2 was the one everyone found easy, so grade boundaries will probably be higher than last year's 72/90. Don't lose hope though, for everyone whose done better in P1 just remember that it's your overall grade that counts, so even if you get a 6 in P2 and a high 7 in P1, and your IA's are decent, you're most likely looking at a 7! :smile:

Personally, math was always my biggest weakness and have struggled with it even at the studies level for the past 2 years so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 6! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending