The Student Room Group

How do I revise for maths?

I'm currently in year 10, in the top set of maths with my mocks coming up in 4 weeks. Despite this, I've never revised for maths before and so I don't know how to go about it. Although many people say mocks "don't matter", this math mock determines whether I get to do further maths or not, and so I'd ideally need a high grade 9.

How should I revise? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
There are wealth of GCSE resources on you tube. I always look for hits above 1 million or around around that region. You can access the hardest questions grade9 or other grades. You can access predicted papers etc. I would suggest do go through a video on paer2/3 and then down load a paper2 or 3 and sit like a mock exam ( be striction with your time answer each question within 4 minutes) and then down load the answers if availlable or take it to your maths teacher marking and comments- best of luck
Reply 2
Original post by georgia2211
I'm currently in year 10, in the top set of maths with my mocks coming up in 4 weeks. Despite this, I've never revised for maths before and so I don't know how to go about it. Although many people say mocks "don't matter", this math mock determines whether I get to do further maths or not, and so I'd ideally need a high grade 9.

If your teacher hasn't given you any guidance on the topics... maybe have a word with them. Obviously the content of your mocks will be related to the work youve covered and having some form of revision guide like
https://m4ths.com/uploads/3/5/2/1/35219558/lite_book_-_free_copy.pdf
or cgp or ... helps to tick off topics youve done/understand and keep track of ones youve problems on etc.

Apart from that you have the usual suspects of corbett, drfrost, mathsgenie, thegcsemathstutor, tlmaths, .... for vidoes, question banks, worksheets, notes. Also there are a few hard/grade nine workbooks/mock papers/..., some free, some paid, which are meant to stretch more able students. Google should point you towards them. For me, Id concentrate on doing harder problems simply because its more interesting. If necessary do the harder ones open book as well as more focussed closed book practice. Review videos/revision guide as appropriate.

As well a bit of exam technique is useful, so get in the habit of checking your answers. Underline important parts of the question. Do useful sketches and lay your work out clearly etc.
(edited 11 months ago)

Here are some good resources to use:
- GCSE Maths Tutor
- Cognito
- MME revise
- PMT
- Maths Genie
- Corbett Maths
- Past papers are also helpful

Here are my tips:
1) Go through topic lists/specification and mark the topics you are weak/not that great in (if you look at a topic, and don't immediately think 'I KNOW THIS!', then mark it anyway, so you can get confident in it)
2) Look at video explanations on it (you can use a study guide, but it may confuse you more) and take some notes, or copy down an example.
3) Then do lots of practice questions on it - if you do mathswatch, then use that, or look up questions per topic.
4) Do past papers/exam-based questions from workbooks/online websites and mark them
5) If you get any question wrong, copy down the mark scheme for it, so you can see how to do it step by step.

It might also help going through exam packs or previous tests you've done at school, just to see what type of questions they pull out.
Don't stress too much, you can do this!
I hope that helps and good luck!
Reply 4

I never used to revise maths but then all of a sudden started to go well in maths and ending up getting a grade 8.
In terms of advice (based on what I did), here it is:
1. Practice very often (I'd say pretty much everyday), Maths (for me) is a subject where it's all based on practice and doing questions as often as possible helps to retain that information (using websites like Corbett Maths and Maths Genie) so do questions everyday!
2. Make a list of all key formulas/methods that you need to know (i.e how to factorise a quadratic), you can write these on flashcards and review them when you can. When I did this, I reviewed them right before the exam and it worked well I think
3. Do lots of past papers, do papers in timed conditions and under exam conditions to really get a feel of how the actual exam would be. You should also mark these papers, carefully going over where you lost marks and making a note of them. Try and also look at how questions are formatted, seeing what techniques to use where.
4. Big tip here - always check your answers when doing questions! There are so many silly mistakes that people make when they don't check their work

The best thing you can do is to be consistent with maths, doing questions whenever and doing past papers

Also I did FM GCSE and it's a huge step up from normal maths lol
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5

Heya!
Make sure to do past papers under exam conditions and then mark yourself using the mark scheme :h: If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free resources you will find useful to help you with your revision!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

The only way to be dead confident about Maths is practice, practice and practice..I can understand as I am also in year 10 and gonna face my mocks in about 18 more days..I am also pretty stressed out as I am in top set for maths have a lot to revise! U can use cobbertmaths checklist and watch his videos to revise..it is truly useful!
Good luck!
Reply 7
Depending what xaming board you have chosen- you need to down load the revision checklist - All maths exams have three paeres1,2 and 3.
Thus, there will be three sheets of checklist for topics with with specific individual sections- e.g- algebra- numbers, sequences etc
Once you have downloaded the checklist for all three units-paper1,2,3- then identify your weakest topics. Then browse the yuo tube- and look for the tpoics you need strenghting. Ask your schhol to give the checklist as an other option. Check with freinds and teachers who help you with maths. Recoomended sites- physics and maths tutor, corbett maths ( has questions and answers), maths coach , Hannah Kettle.

Quick Reply

Latest