The Student Room Group

new £5 coins

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apolocreed
They make a 5 pound coin before they make a 2 pound note...what is this bullsh*t

I still want a 99p coin. It would be so useful! Save all the "here's your 1 penny change" crap.
Reply 41
Original post by Hopple
Sounds like you're setting up your own scam there :tongue:

LOL well, if they're stupid enough to buy it then, well...

Spoiler

Reply 42
I've got a whole jar of these at home, my Grandma just turned up one day I handed them to me. No idea what to do with them so they just sit there looking pretty... :dontknow:
Original post by Clare~Bear
Apparantly my household is 'among those specially selected to recieve this notification of britains new legal tender 2012 £5 coin.' !!! :colonhash: Am I right in thinking that they actually got sent to every house?

At least you do only have to pay £5 and no P&P . . .

Are they going to replace £5 notes ie will any more £5 notes be made? And will the coins continue to be made?

£5 coins have been around for donkeys years-- they are not new. They are worth £5 and technically are spendable, but are really only intended as souvenirs and are produced to commemorate important events. I have quite an old collection back at my parents' house.
Reply 44
Original post by stargirl63
I still want a 99p coin. It would be so useful! Save all the "here's your 1 penny change" crap.

It's good for the charity boxes.

Maybe you should shop at Iceland...
They should switch everything to paper money! No need for coins; it is too expensive in these rough times.
Reply 46
Original post by JonathanNorth
They should switch everything to paper money! No need for coins; it is too expensive in these rough times.

What denominations would you have? A 1p note just seems ridiculous to me XD Custom notes would just be cheques, and every shop hates them now.
Original post by Hopple
What denominations would you have? A 1p note just seems ridiculous to me XD Custom notes would just be cheques, and every shop hates them now.

Get rid of the pennies! Although a lot of people will probably quote tradition etc.

Take a look at this vid, I found it pretty interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4E6SSy5Yg

What's the point of a penny, if it costs more than a penny to create!
Reply 48
If it does go through, i'm in favour of it as it means it'll give the illusion that drinks are cheaper in nights out
Reply 49
Original post by JonathanNorth
Get rid of the pennies! Although a lot of people will probably quote tradition etc.

Take a look at this vid, I found it pretty interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4E6SSy5Yg

What's the point of a penny, if it costs more than a penny to create!

Ok, a 2p note. Though I think a 1p denomination is necessary whatever form we use so as to be able to construct all amounts.

Quick Reply

Latest