The Student Room Group

Gold

Is it worth buying a brick of Gold, Do they actually hold and go up in value. Is it a WISE Investment.
it does go up in value so its worth it if you want to sell it off in a few years down the line

But investments in trade and stocks and savings is more wise, in my opinion
Original post by kh2021
Is it worth buying a brick of Gold, Do they actually hold and go up in value. Is it a WISE Investment.

Nobody can accurately predict what the value of gold might be in the future. However, it's easy to see how its value has changed in the past. 5 years ago, 1 troy ounce of gold would have cost about 1280 USD. Today that same gold would cost you over 2000 USD. (Note these are prices in the gold bullion market - not the "retail" price.)

So, over the last 5 years, it's done well. However, over a different 5 year period it may not have done. For example, between 25 July 2011 and 28 July 2016 its value dropped from about 1850 USD/oz to about 1350 USD/oz.

The thing that would concern me about actually owning gold bullion would be storage. Are you planning to keep it under your bed? Or do you have somewhere secure to store it? If you were burgled, would your household contents policy cover it? (Clue: it wouldn't)

A better approach, I'd have thought, to gain exposure to any increase in the value of gold would to buy units on a fund which invests in gold. That way you don't have the storage issue, but the value of your investment in the fund increases as the value of gold increases. (Or decreases, obviously.) A search for "Gold ETF" should should fund some appropriate funds (ETF is Exchange Traded Fund, by the way.)

(Edited to correct the 28 July date above.)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by User_022023
it does go up in value so its worth it if you want to sell it off in a few years down the line

Why is savings more wise?
Reply 4
Original post by User_022023

its harder to find what to buy on there and which websites to use,
Original post by DataVenia
Nobody can accurately predict what the value of gold might be in the future. However, it's easy to see how its value has changed in the past. 5 years ago, 1 troy ounce of gold would have cost about 1280 USD. Today that same gold would cost you over 2000 USD. (Note these are prices in the gold bullion market - not the "retail" price.)

So, over the last 5 years, it's done well. However, over a different 5 year period it may not have done. For example, between 25 July 2011 and 28 July 2026 its value dropped from about 1850 USD/oz to about 1350 USD/oz.

The thing that would concern me about actually owning gold bullion would be storage. Are you planning to keep it under your bed? Or do you have somewhere secure to store it? If you were burgled, would your household contents policy cover it? (Clue: it wouldn't)

A better approach, I'd have thought, to gain exposure to any increase in the value of gold would to buy units on a fund which invests in gold. That way you don't have the storage issue, but the value of your investment in the fund increases as the value of gold increases. (Or decreases, obviously.) A search for "Gold ETF" should should fund some appropriate funds (ETF is Exchange Traded Fund, by the way.)

Sounds like very good advice. Especially about keeping it safe with so much crime around. Are these ETF risky?
Original post by Kutie Karen
Sounds like very good advice. Especially about keeping it safe with so much crime around. Are these ETF risky?

They're less risky than investing in physical gold bullion, as you don't run the risk of the gold being stolen.

But they are an investment, and so carry risk. If the price of gold drops dramatically, as it did between mid-2011 and mid-2016, then the value of the fund will drop and you'll lose money. Similarly, if the value of gold rises, then the value of the fund will rise and you'll make money.
They're less risky than investing in physical gold bullion, as you don't run the risk of the gold being stolen.

But they are an investment, and so carry risk. If the price of gold drops dramatically, as it did between mid-2011 and mid-2016, then the value of the fund will drop and you'll lose money. Similarly, if the value of gold rises, then the value of the fund will rise and you'll make money.

Thanks. Bit like shares I guess. Where do you look for such investments? Are they listed somewhere? I have never heard of them.
Thanks. Bit like shares I guess. Where do you look for such investments? Are they listed somewhere? I have never heard of them.

Exactly. To quote from post #3:
A search for "Gold ETF" should should find some appropriate funds...

:smile:
Original post by kh2021

I don't think that it is a bad idea to invest a sum of money in a brick of gold. The standard value is constant and pretty high even in bad times and increasing in best cases.
Original post by Kallisto
I don't think that it is a bad idea to invest a sum of money in a brick of gold. The standard value is constant and pretty high even in bad times and increasing in best cases.

How much is a gold brick and how much would it weigh
How much is a gold brick and how much would it weigh

Although OP used the phrase "a brick of Gold", that's not really a quantity of gold.

A standard gold bar (the type you see in the movies!) weighs about 12.5 kilos and would cost you around £680,000 to buy one right now. A more modest investment would be a 1 gram gold bar, which would be about £60. There are many standard weights (and therefore prices) between those two extremes.

If you didn't want something brick-shaped, you could instead opt for a gold coin. A one ounce gold coin would set you back about £1670 right now.
Although OP used the phrase "a brick of Gold", that's not really a quantity of gold.

A standard gold bar (the type you see in the movies!) weighs about 12.5 kilos and would cost you around £680,000 to buy one right now. A more modest investment would be a 1 gram gold bar, which would be about £60. There are many standard weights (and therefore prices) between those two extremes.

If you didn't want something brick-shaped, you could instead opt for a gold coin. A one ounce gold coin would set you back about £1670 right now.

Thanks that you answered my question! I don't know all the numbers behind the statistics like you. :colondollar:
Thanks that you answered my question! I don't know all the numbers behind the statistics like you. :colondollar:

Apologies @Kallisto, I hadn't even noticed that the question was directed at you. :smile:
Apologies @Kallisto, I hadn't even noticed that the question was directed at you. :smile:

I have been quoted, so I thought it was a question to me. Such a brick of gold is pretty precious, even a coin. May I asl you where did you get these informations?
I have been quoted, so I thought it was a question to me. Such a brick of gold is pretty precious, even a coin. May I asl you where did you get these informations?

I lifted them from https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk, but rounded the prices.
I lifted them from https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk, but rounded the prices.

Thanks for the link. The page has even the standard prices for silver, nice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending