The Student Room Group

What makes football fans so dedicated/bothered?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
if you imagine the time commitment people invest: 38 games in the league + other competitions+ travel to games, will add up to hundreds of hours...

then the time spent talking about it with other people

the time spent playing football (for some)

the time spent reading about it etc

and all of a sudden, a deceptivly large part of someones lives is taken up by it, and it can become quite a comitment (both financially, and emotionally)

That's kind of reversing the cart and the horse, don't you think? People don't become massive football fans as a result of talking about it incessantly, spending loads of time and money on keeping up with it and playing it themselves. In fact, if you weren't really into it to begin with, all that would probably be enough to put you off for life.
Original post by nextplanet
Ive never understood dedicated football supporters but that is why im making this thread to find out. I dont get how people can feel so good when the team they support wins or feel so low when they lose. If I achieve something I feel really good but if a team who I support achieves Im glad but dont feel much else because it doesnt have any affect on MY life:confused:

This is what I dont understand, how come man city fans are sooo elated when the result has no effect on their own lives? Or maybe im overestimating the feeling.. is the feeling when your fave team loses similar to heartbreak when one of your relationships ends (some fans cry for days)?

Im not judging anyone or anything people can feel what they like but im trying to understand it as ive always been curious what makes fans so dedicated when a football team doesnt affect your life in any way:confused:

I found this.. I dont know which parts are true apply to you

http://www.theocentric.com/culture/issues/why_do_men_love_football.html

OP, I don't undersand he emotional investment either. But just to raise a point, if you've ever cried whilst watching a film or documentary, or from reading a book, you can hardly say that something having an effect on your life is the only basis for feeling elated or upset.
Original post by shezshez
I'm a football fan first, a man united fan second.

I'd much rather watch a decent game of football and united lose, than a **** game and united win...

I guess I'm a neutral, just hoping united do well, gotta admit I was a bit gutted at the weekend, though no tears were shed and I didn't get the hump on, 'cause I'm not a fanatic.

Get a grip. If that is your honest view you are not a united fan and never will be.
Original post by penrithkeswick
A desire to hide from reality by obsessing over something that's meaningless?

Isn't that true of most, if not all hobbies/ interests? It's a part of your week that you can forget about the issues affecting you, if only for a few hours.

For a lot of people it's a family thing, I will continue the tradition should I have kids. It's hard to explain to someone that doesn't 'get' it.

The sheer elation that I felt in this moment

is something I would have never felt had I not been a football fan, so I'm glad I am so bothered.
Reply 64
Original post by bide_your_time
Get a grip. If that is your honest view you are not a united fan and never will be.

Typical fanatical football fan template right there. Have you got a good valid reason why you support united instead of some other random team then?
Reply 65
This is why

(edited 11 years ago)
Typical fanatical football fan template right there. Have you got a good valid reason why you support united instead of some other random team then?

Yes I was born and lived within 15 miles of old trafford until I had to move away for education. Add to that my entire family for many generations being reds and I think I have a valid reason.
Original post by Arekkusu
It comes from the era before the 1950's when people didn't move around as much. The local football team is a very tangible symbol of local pride, local rivalry. For example, the cities of Liverpool and Manchester, Portsmouth and Southampton etc have always been rivals for economic reasons. However, boasting that your city has made more money than the other city isn't very visceral. The football team is a more immediate satisfaction of the tribal desire to be part of a group and to challenge your rivals.

Support for a team is usually passed down the generations, though in the globalised era more people of every class have chosen to be glory hunters.

Football and rugby are the only sports in Britain where teams are based around their city. That's why things like tennis, snooker or touring car racing aren't as compelling or popular.

If you want a girly analogy, supporting a football team is a bit like being married. You love them with an inexpressible love, but spend most of your time rolling your eyes at their ineptitude and moaning about them to your friends. It's all worth it though for the romantic moment when your team lifts the Johnstone's Paint trophy or gets promoted to the heady heights of League One.

Do we support the same team? :biggrin:
Reply 68

You said you'd rather watch Utd lose then them win, and then class yourself as a Utd 'fan'. That's the issue myself and a few others have picked up with you.

I think you're missing the point, it's not about Utd as you could replace them with Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Wigan, whoever and the point would remain the same. The supporting Utd over a random team is in this case irrelevant.
Reply 69
Original post by crocker710
I hope you're trolling

Nope I'm not, the final straw was when I was called a loser for talking to my mate about the national teams and where they lack short of quality, e.g. france's lack of a zidane type natural CM or portugals lack of a striker.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Wenches come and go, your team is for life.

Thank you. KTBFFH!!!
Reply 70
Original post by sleep99
You said you'd rather watch Utd lose then them win, and then class yourself as a Utd 'fan'. That's the issue myself and a few others have picked up with you.

I think you're missing the point, it's not about Utd as you could replace them with Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Wigan, whoever and the point would remain the same. The supporting Utd over a random team is in this case irrelevant.

Okay let me rephrase, my favourite team in the league is united, I watch for their results and ultimately hope they do well, however, I'd rather watch a decent game of football whether they win or lose.

There we go, I posted without the word 'fan'.
Reply 71
It's 100% tribal, at least for your hardcore support. Each club will have its own unique culture and history and traditionally represent a certain area.

Fans also make a huge contribution towards their own sides success, in terms of the ticket fees, merchandise, food/drink etc, as well as stadium atmosphere.

For me personally I'm fairly involved at Everton, both in the club side and the charity side, so I feel like I make even more of a direct contribution. Benefits for me this season have been things like being invited to watch the Swansea game from our of our corporate boxes - free of charge - and being invited to Everton's training ground last week to meet David Moyes.

It's great to feel so involved with an institution that makes a huge impact in - and is central to - the community I was brought up in.
Reply 72
Original post by rachelkeira
Do we support the same team? :biggrin:

Haha nope, I actually support Wolves - not much better, the defence has been a complete shambles for at least ten years. We actually bought Ronald Zubar, a player so bad that the French for "Taxi for..." is named after him. He's very good at tripping over the ball and accidentally tackling his own team-mates. The defence is also prone to prolific spurts of own goals.

For my post I took inspiration from the fact that the only trophy we won between 1980 and 2003 was the classy-sounding Sherpa Van Trophy, sexy stuff for a team that helped found the Football League and the European Cup - we even once managed to win the American football league!

Who is it that you support, I'd love to hear more tales of woe :p:
It's just something you get emotionally invested in. You've watched them for so long, experienced their ups and downs, seen how they've developed over the years. Eventually they become a part of you, and you become a part of them.

There are many examples of other situations when this happens. For example, suppose you have a child. Suppose one day your child triumphs, or is very happy over something inconsequential - perhaps he built his tallest ever Lego tower today, and he's showing off about it. Don't you naturally feel very happy? Of course you do. But it doesn't make any difference to your life, does it? It doesn't really make much of a difference to anybody. But because you've been with that child from the beginning, always been "on their side", seen them rise and fall in the smallest of ways, your happiness becomes linked with their success.
That's more of an exaggerated example. But you can see it in smaller things too. If you're watching a good film or reading a good book for the first time, you might "support" the main character, wanting a particular thing to happen to them. If you see a murderer or rapist on the news you might hate them, even though they didn't do anything to you.

I suppose it's not really rational. But it's natural. People get emotionally invested in others after following their "story".
Original post by Arekkusu
Haha nope, I actually support Wolves - not much better, the defence has been a complete shambles for at least ten years. We actually bought Ronald Zubar, a player so bad that the French for "Taxi for..." is named after him. He's very good at tripping over the ball and accidentally tackling his own team-mates. The defence is also prone to prolific spurts of own goals.

For my post I took inspiration from the fact that the only trophy we won between 1980 and 2003 was the classy-sounding Sherpa Van Trophy, sexy stuff for a team that helped found the Football League and the European Cup - we even once managed to win the American football league!

Who is it that you support, I'd love to hear more tales of woe :p:

Ah how unfortunate! I have quite a few links to Wolves, after spending half my life living in Wolverhampton!
I'm a Chesterfield fan... We got promoted to L1 last season and then won the JPT :biggrin: Still got relegated though :frown:
I believe it's us you have to thank for bringing Davis on during a loan spell, ready for your first team earlier this season!
Reply 75
If you don't understand by now, no offence but you never will.
Football is the sport of the UK and a dominant part of British culture.
I was brought up by my dad and grandads to love, watch and play football.
I did fall in love with the game, majestically simple, accessible but so hard to master. :sogood:

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without football being part of my life.
I must play it about 3 times a week, not to mention going to the matches or watching them on the weekend.
Make no mistake, the sport has shaped a lot of things in my life: Life-long friends being one of them.
Being from Newcastle as well, if you're in a pub / school / anywhere with friends and if you are talking to a stranger (male) you will almost always find a common thing to talk about through football or more specifically Newcastle United.
Football is the heartbeat of Newcastle with the stadium being right in the middle of the city and this obsession is infectious I guess, pretty much everyone is aware of the team here.

I love the sport, when my team got relegated it was one of the worst experiences of my life, this sounds pathetic but I honestly didn't want to leave my house or anything I was just numb.
When Sunderland nearly beat us this season, I probably wouldn't have turned up for 6th form the next day even.

The supporters have a lifelong bond to the club, a marriage if you will. It gives people pride and hope to see a team representing their own area do well, a means of forgetting your own problems and just getting lost in the passion of it all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by TM94
If you don't understand by now, no offence but you never will.
Football is the sport of the UK and a dominant part of British culture.
I was brought up by my dad and grandads to love, watch and play football.
I did fall in love with the game, majestically simple, accessible but so hard to master. :sogood:

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without football being part of my life.
I must play it about 3 times a week, not to mention going to the matches or watching them on the weekend.
Make no mistake, the sport has shaped a lot of things in my life: Life-long friends being one of them.
Being from Newcastle as well, if you're in a pub / school / anywhere with friends and if you are talking to a stranger (male) you will almost always find a common thing to talk about through football or more specifically Newcastle United.
Football is the heartbeat of Newcastle with the stadium being right in the middle of the city and this obsession is infectious I guess, pretty much everyone is aware of the team here.

I love the sport, when my team got relegated it was one of the worst experiences of my life, this sounds pathetic but I honestly didn't want to leave my house or anything I was just numb.
When Sunderland nearly beat us this season, I probably wouldn't have turned up for 6th form the next day even.

The supporters have a lifelong bond to the club, a marriage if you will. It gives people pride and hope to see a team representing their own area do well, a means of forgetting your own problems and just getting lost in the passion of it all.

I took this picture after the last home game against city. Pretty much sums it up for me, especially the number of geordies who are standing and cheering. :biggrin: (newcastle lost 2-0 on the day for those who don't know)

560749_608151869348_272701062_2940203_658201661_n.jpg

I'm from Liverpool and have lived there for most of my life. But there is just something I like about newcastle... it started off as a childhood obsession with Alan Shearer for England and eventually castle. They are always the underdogs and you can never tell what they are going to achieve, I just love that aspect of them. One minute they are relegated, then the next minute they are competing with the likes of Arsenal and Spuds. They just have a habit of defying the odds. It is quite inspiring to be honest. For me it is what the team represents. It is also a chance to be passionate about something. To cheer a team on with your fellow supporters. To kill some time etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
I commend Newcastle this season. As a boro fan i should hate them, but to go from playing in the championship 2 years a go to finishing 5th in the premier league is quite simply magnificent.
the only thing that bothers me about football sometimes is when people start being abusive or racist towards one another. it's stupid.
Original post by rachelkeira
Ah how unfortunate! I have quite a few links to Wolves, after spending half my life living in Wolverhampton!
I'm a Chesterfield fan... We got promoted to L1 last season and then won the JPT :biggrin: Still got relegated though :frown:
I believe it's us you have to thank for bringing Davis on during a loan spell, ready for your first team earlier this season!

Ooooof Chesterfield. Now I do feel sorry for you. As an Oldham Athletic fan, I love John Sheridan beyond belief. He was an absolute legend for us as a player but as a manager, seems like he has a lot to learn. He never seemed to have a plan 'C' with us. He'd have his starting 11 and then always make the same sort of substitutions when things didn't go well. It got very predictable and kinda dull. Although, thank you for taking Greg Fleming and Danny Whittaker from us.

But to answer the OP's question, you just have to watch what happened on Sunday to understand why we all love the beautiful game. I think pretty much everyone sat there after the whistle went at the Etihad and thought "I know what just happened, but at the same time I don't have a bloody clue."

But, for me personally, I grew up loving Oldham Athletic. Watching the odd youth game as a child developed into me being a season ticket holder for 11 years until I came to uni. Saturdays are never the same without my crappy wooden seat at Boundary Park, without my pie + Bovril, without the Chinese bloke who sat infront of me who tuned his wireless radio at H/T to get the other scores, without the old guy a few seats down from me who's false teeth used to try and escape whenever he got too enthusiastic and all those other things you are familiar with. And it's the fact that I know that all these people around me are feeling the exact same thing. We all want those 11 men on the pitch who are representing our town / city to do as well as they possibly can, and make is proud in any feasable way.

And that's exactly it. It's what those 11 blokes kicking a bag of wind represent. Whether it's where you come from, or where you're family come from, you have inextricable links to those 11 men. And so there's a sense of belonging when you're surrounded by people who are as frustrated as you are about the fact that Oldham have been in League One for the past 15 seasons, or who are ecstatic that you've just beaten Carlisle 2-1 to end the season on a slight high.

I've rambled. But football means so much to so many people. It's so much more than something that just affects the people that are actually playing it. So to ask why we're so dedicated is a bit of a silly question.

Quick Reply

Latest