The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shwi
Any help would be appreciated, im a little confused about how to prove that a given point lies on a circle with a given equation:confused:

put the x and y co-ordiantes from the given point into the given equation..work it out..if it ends up as 0 that point lies on the equation :biggrin:
anyone got any tips on staying calm during the higher maths exam tomorrow..i know everything and i know i can do everything but my problem in maths is that i panick :frown:
Reply 382
Original post by Shwi
would anyone be able to talk me through how to do question 6 in section two of the 2009 past paper, i keep getting the wrong answer :smile:

for part a) did you get 3.262x10^17
then part b) did you get 1.612 years?
Hey, this is only a multiple choice question, but could anyone please tell me how you do these style of questions?

I know the '+c' at the end is the y-intercept, so in this case (obviously from the diagrams) it's 4... but yeah, I have no idea what else to do?? Thank you :smile:
About to embark on a 7 and a half our revision sesh. :lol:

Anyway, does anybody know how to get the limits for last question in 2008, paper 2? And can you use any of the lines to equate?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hollieeilloh
Hey, this is only a multiple choice question, but could anyone please tell me how you do these style of questions?

I know the '+c' at the end is the y-intercept, so in this case (obviously from the diagrams) it's 4... but yeah, I have no idea what else to do?? Thank you :smile:

Well, because it is +4 it mus be A or C. Neither of these has roots, so you must do completing the square to work out where the turning point will be and then you'll have your answer. :smile:
math help.JPG does anyone know how to do this? could u explain it to me?
Original post by JaggySnake95
Well, because it is +4 it mus be A or C. Neither of these has roots, so you must do completing the square to work out where the turning point will be and then you'll have your answer. :smile:

Ahh okay that makes sense, thank you very much :smile:
Reply 388

the 3x^2 means that it is a "smiley face" curve..... The coefficient of x tells you about what the graph is doing
is the correct answer B?
Original post by lapples
the 3x^2 means that it is a "smiley face" curve..... The coefficient of x tells you about what the graph is doing
is the correct answer B?

Nope, it's C aha :smile:
Reply 390
Just keep telling yourself that panicking and stressing is only gonna make your grade worse - that helps me
Reply 391
Nope, it's C aha :smile:

Oh well :tongue:
Original post by lapples
Oh well :tongue:

Can you help me with Paper 2, 2008, final questio? :smile:
Reply 393
Original post by Shwi
would anyone be able to talk me through how to do question 6 in section two of the 2009 past paper, i keep getting the wrong answer :smile:

I have worked it out :biggrin:

You need to divide your 0.43 by 100 as it is a percentage, not a rate :smile:

N= Noe^rt
N= 61(million)e^(0.016x14)
N= 61e^0.224
Therefore N= 76.3(million)

Then:
N=Noe^rt
10.2=5.1xe^0.0043t
10.2/5.1=e^0.0043t
ln2=lne^0.0043t
ln2=0.0043t (ln and ecancel each other out)

t=ln2/0.0043
Therefore t= 161.2 years

Hope that helps? :smile:
Reply 394
Feeling quite confident for tomorrow, do the 2009 paper today and a bit on graphs/logs and i should be fine for tomorrow.
Reply 395
Just go in with a positive atitude. You know what you're doing, just take your time and it should be fine.
Reply 396
Original post by JaggySnake95
Can you help me with Paper 2, 2008, final questio? :smile:

Find the points of intersection.
32-2x^2=14
2x^2=18
x^2=9
x=+and -3

32-2x^2=24
2x^2=8
x^2=4
x= +and-2

Because of symmetry integrate half the shaded area and then double your answer.

You should have an integral of 3(top) and 0(bottom) of (32-2x^2-14) dx = 36

Then an integral of between 2(top) and 0 (bottom) of (32-2x^2-24) dx = 10.7

This means that 36-10.7=25.3
Area = 2x25.3= 50.6 units2

Haha try that :colone:
(edited 11 years ago)
2008 sqp paper one questions 24, i keep getting the wrong answer :angry: could somebody please show me their working...thanks :biggrin:
Reply 398
Original post by Darrenh800
I've never added attachments before so I hope this works but my teacher gave out a word document which had past paper questions for a certain topic. I've attached the topics which you say you found difficult as I find it useful to attempt these questions - hope it helps! :smile: If anyone has another topic they need, just ask and I'll see if a word document has been made for it!

See on the exponential and logs file, would you happen to know how to do question 20 and 8? It's the first few questions they are. These are the questions I really struggle with :/
Reply 399
Anybody able to do Heinemann book EX14K Q6? If you could help that'd be great!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending