The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Blue7195
THAT simple?!?!?!? ahhh it makes so much sense now! just hope it still doesn't come up tomorrow lol, especially with those high A percentages needed :frown:

Haha yeah you're probably thinking too much into it, hopefully it's a good paper for us all :biggrin:
Reply 581
Original post by daisyclouds
You want it to be y=f(x) so you have to work backwards and undo everything, let's do this step by step

y=f(2x) - 3 the first step would be to add 3 so the point would be (6,7)

f(2x) means it has been reduced by half in width, so to return it to f(x) times the x coordinate by 2, the y would be unaffected as its width not height wise, so the answer would be (12,7) :smile:

Thanks! i didn't realise it was that type of question to do with the movement of the graph:biggrin: Thinking it was question 20 i thougt it would be a hard multiple choice question thats why i panicked. Thanks for your help:smile:
Reply 582
Exercise 14K Q6 Heinemann Textbook. Could somebody kindly explain this to me? :smile:
Reply 583
Original post by benten17
Am I right in thinking that if you differentiate (sin2x)^2 you get 2sin4x?

uhm ... is it not 2sin2xcos2x=sin4x
or have i missed something?

EDIT: i missed the 2 before the cos2x my bad!
2sin2x2cos2x=4sin2xcos2x=2sin4x so yes:smile:
This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 584
Make a note of multiple choice answers you put down tomorow! We can compare them and will give us confidence to know that we might have done good:biggrin:

Also in the mutiple choice question, is it just a line you put in the box of the answer sheet or do you have to shade in completely the tiny boxes completely?
Reply 585
Original post by benten17
Am I right in thinking that if you differentiate (sin2x)^2 you get 2sin4x?

. Differentiate as normal. So it becomes 2(sin2x). Then remember you must multiply by differentiated value inside the bracket. So it becomes 2(sin2x) x 2cos2x. Im sure you can leave the answer like that but i would tide it up just incase. So your final asnwer is 4cos2x(sin2x) I can see where you are getting the 2sin4x but using the formula sheet, by im sure you don't have to go that far. If you did go further then, by considering sin2x=2sinxcosx so sin4x=2sin2xcos2x then yeah i guess you are right but im sure in a higher paper you will not be asked to go that far
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 586
Original post by StudyAk
Make a note of multiple choice answers you put down tomorow! We can compare them and will give us confidence to know that we might have done good:biggrin:

Also in the mutiple choice question, is it just a line you put in the box of the answer sheet or do you have to shade in completely the tiny boxes completely?

Should say on the paper, but i think it's completely
Reply 587
Original post by Sami'
Should say on the paper, but i think it's completely

I just looked in the sqa website and it says to just put a line
Best of luck :smile:. Hoping the paper's not too bad. Got 71% today in a paper, so doing alright! :smile:
Reply 589
I'm struggling with c) on this question. It's only worth 1 mark but I don't know why it's 15 \frac{1}{5} . What is a unit vector and what's the relation between two parallel vectors?

maths 2006 6.jpg
Reply 590
Original post by Reece:)
uhm ... is it not 2sin2xcos2x=sin4x
or have i missed something?

EDIT: i missed the 2 before the cos2x my bad!
2sin2x2cos2x=4sin2xcos2x=2sin4x so yes:smile:
This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks for cleaning that up:colondollar:
Good luck tomorrow
Reply 591
Original post by OpenArms
I'm struggling with c) on this question. It's only worth 1 mark but I don't know why it's 15 \frac{1}{5} . What is a unit vector and what's the relation between two parallel vectors?

maths 2006 6.jpg

A unit vector is a vector of magnitude 1. You worked out earlier on in the question that the magnitude of PQ was 5. Parallel vectors are vectors that are multiples of each other. If you know PQ has magnitude 5 you need to get 1/5 of PQ for the magnitude to be 1 so multiply PQ by 1/5 will get magnitude 1 and ensure the unit vector is parallel
Reply 592
Original post by OpenArms

maths 2006 6.jpg

A unit vector has a magnitude of 1 and parallel vectors follow this rule:

u and v are parallel if and only if u =kuv e.g. A(3,3,2) is parallel to B(6,6,4) as A=1/2(B)

Make sense?

EDIT: Haha yes, as above. Also, any takers of EX14K Question 6 from the Heinemann book?
I'm actually dreading the answer schemes coming up more than I am doing the actual paper :frown: I always get upset and worry because I usually get the overall answer wrong and it makes me think I've failed! :rolleyes:
contemplating blocking TSR tomorrow so I don't look at the answers and see everyone thinking they've done well when I feel I've done awful (wish I was as clever as you guys!) :colondollar:
GOOD LUCK THOUGH :biggrin:
Original post by rawragee
I'm actually dreading the answer schemes coming up more than I am doing the actual paper :frown: I always get upset and worry because I usually get the overall answer wrong and it makes me think I've failed! :rolleyes:
contemplating blocking TSR tomorrow so I don't look at the answers and see everyone thinking they've done well when I feel I've done awful (wish I was as clever as you guys!) :colondollar:

Yeah, I feel the same hahah... maybe I'll look if I think I've done good, but if not, then no chance aha :colondollar:
I could do with some help on this question. I can get the answer, but I don't understand the part where you have the 4 quadrants and you're supposed to tick them. Can someone explain? It's Paper 2, 2008. Question 3b) Screen shot 2012-05-20 at 20.46.36.png
Reply 596

Don't worry you'll get most of your marks by working :smile: and good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by hollieeilloh
Yeah, I feel the same hahah... maybe I'll look if I think I've done good, but if not, then no chance aha :colondollar:

I can tell I'll cry tomorrow :frown: like, I just get stressed and obsess and it's awful when other people have done really well :colondollar:

Original post by daisyclouds
Don't worry you'll get most of your marks by working :smile: and good luck to you too :smile:

mhmm, getting the final answer wrong is how I usually lose the most marks! I usually make a mistake within the first couple lines of working in big calculations, so get a completely different answer therefore it's worrying to see the actual answers being so different :redface:
Reply 598
I can tell I'll cry tomorrow :frown: like, I just get stressed and obsess and it's awful when other people have done really well :colondollar:

mhmm, getting the final answer wrong is how I usually lose the most marks! I usually make a mistake within the first couple lines of working in big calculations, so get a completely different answer therefore it's worrying to see the actual answers being so different :redface:

Even if an answer is wrong, you can make up your own numbers and still continue, you'll get marked down for being wrong but can still pick up marks as you have continued the process they wanted you to do :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 599
Original post by andreas4792
I could do with some help on this question. I can get the answer, but I don't understand the part where you have the 4 quadrants and you're supposed to tick them. Can someone explain? It's Paper 2, 2008. Question 3b) Screen shot 2012-05-20 at 20.46.36.png

You have your 4 quadrants, telling you in which quadrants sin, cos and tan are positive.

You know ksina=3 and kcosa=root7, therefore sin is positive...you tick any quadrants that sin is positive in. Similarly, you know cos is positive...tick all the quadrants in which cos is positive. The one with two ticks is the one you use.

I think this is right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending