The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sturen
Hi! First post here!

Anyone able to explain 7a)? I have a solid record of 90%+ in previous years, but that question ate about 20 mins of my time and I didn't even get close.

In the end I wrote this (with large amounts of random log manipulations):

Since any positive number that can be expressed as a fraction m/n can be expressed as loga(a^m)/loga(a^n); p and q are not specified in the question and the point of intersection T will always be positive, T can always be written in the form loga(p)/loga(q).

Then I used some log manipulation to get a value for x and y for b.

I have a slight suspicion the question was meant to state that p and q where one of the values in the log graphs, but it didn't so I instead proved that the form could represent any number, and therefore also T.

I just truly don't understand the question.

I just about got the others, and can post my solutions if anyone is interested.

Heya, I was in the same situation. What I think was wrong with the question was that it didn't specify that p and q turn out to be constants. I thought about writing that too, but I couldn't see how it would be worth 6 marks.
Original post by Reece:)
benten's answers are 100% correct im sure:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

could someone repost these please, i can't find them :frown:
Reply 982
mucked up question 3 and 4, got nearly there question 6. safe to say i think i am not getting my B :frown:
Reply 983
couldn't be more gutted, was in the zone so much so that I missed the last question of paper one, 11 marks! :frown: anyone hear of others doing this? Doubt I'll get my A now :frown: in my defence, I've never seen a question on the very back page before!
my MC answers:

1.C
2.D
3.B
4.B
5.A
6.C
7.A
8.C
9.A
10.B
11.B(know this is D but did a stupid mistake)
12.B
13.D
14.A
15.D
16.C
17.A
18.B
19.B
20.D (this was a guess)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 985
How many marks do you lose for getting the right answer but then going slightly mad and making up utter rubbish.
In paper 2 5b I got -2 and -4 but then used a nature table to get -4<k<-2
Reply 986
Original post by ukdragon37
Paper 2 solutions are attached. I did this quickly so mistakes might creep in. Do tell me and I'll correct them :smile:

Please link to this post rather than the file itself so the link is always to the most up-to-date version.

Thank you so much for the solutions!

I've got an A band 1! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
95.4%! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 987
Paper 2 solutions are attached. I did this quickly so mistakes might creep in. Do tell me and I'll correct them :smile:

Please link to this post rather than the file itself so the link is always to the most up-to-date version.

Thanks for posting these... Very useful!!
Reply 988

answers are 100% correct :smile:!

Err on second thoughts, has anyone actually posted up paper 1 yet?
Reply 990
can anyone make a multi choice PDF answer file?
answers are 100% correct :smile:!

Thanks! :smile: Do you have paper 1 to upload?

Original post by tomathon1
can anyone make a multi choice PDF answer file?

I'm working on that... once I get the paper
Since you seem to know what you are doing, can you go check the paper 2 solutions I posted above for me? :tongue: I'm rushing through so there might well be mistakes. Going to work on paper 1 for now but I'll come back to correct any problems - just quote me.

I may not be Reece but I'm rather good at maths - those answers are as far as I can recall exactly what I did. Apart from 7 - euch.
Original post by Simarilli
I may not be Reece but I'm rather good at maths - those answers are as far as I can recall exactly what I did. Apart from 7 - euch.

Thank you as well :smile:
Reply 994

i have sent them threw to you but i only have answers, no working at

Reply 995

The paper has been posted earlier on i think :biggrin:
Reply 996

Thanks!
That makes me feel better, I wrote almost the same as you for 7, up until the rearranging for common factor x. However, I got 0.88 and 3.4... I understand that this proves that T can be written in that form; I'm kicking myself for not rearranging like that!

I'm curious to see how you would mark (are you a maths teacher?) my answer. I did, as above, some log manipulation and got the answer to some extent. I proved that /any/ value can be written as loga(p)/loga(q) and hence, so can T. The question doesn't suggest that this must be done with log manipulation; nor is log manipulation required unless you wish to find the specific values of p and q for this graph.

I don't imagine this would receive any mark, but it seems valid.

I'm relieved and surprised that I got 6! That was a brutal question I thought; not obviously a reccurance relation and very trick to create the trinomial.

Thanks again, very useful!
i have sent them threw to you but i only have answers, no working at

Oh I was asking for the questions themselves. I'll have a hunt in the thread.
I think I would be lucky to get 30/60 in Paper B... but so far it looks like I have around 60/70 if I am very lucky in Paper 1...

Goodbye A :frown:
Reply 999
anyone think the pass mark could be lower than about 90/130 for an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending