The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Amelia_Lynch
Thanks, hopefully I pick up some marks. I cannot for the life of me remember what I did for 5b so I'll just presume I lost all marks there, I'm borderline A at the moment depends on whether they bring the A mark down, do you think they will? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

5b was nasty:angry: I got completely thrown by it. I'm guessing that if you brought in root 3/2 and tried to make some head way you'll probably gain a few marks. I hope they would but comparing other highers to maths, maths always has quite a high a mark. It might be brought down to the 69/70% zone or possibly a bit lower. There is no doubting most of paper 2 was a/b grade questions.
I was totally stuck on 5b and 6b but showed some attemp worth 3/4 marks in each :frown: .... I guess :/

Original post by rich7gers
B around 73-75 out of 130 this year do you think

I doubt it will be that low, probably around 81/130 as that's 62% and it is usually 64/65% so I wouldn't expect it to drop by more than 3%.
See for the drawing the graph ones i drew parabollas for both, i presume 0/6 marks?
Original post by tomathon1
See for the drawing the graph ones i drew parabollas for both, i presume 0/6 marks?

That is what i did but i know i definitely didn't get 3/3 :/

Reply 1385

I guess it depends on where your turning point was. If it was, for the first graph, at (0,0) or (2,0) you may pick up a mark. If the transformation of flipping over x axis and moving up by 2 is correct for your first graph you will probably get 2 or 3 there
(edited 11 years ago)
What's everyones guesses for A2 pass mark...
Original post by benten17
I guess it depends on where your turning point was. It it was, for the first graph, at (0,0) or (2,0) you may pick up a mark. If the transformation of flipping over x axis and moving up by 2 is correct for your first graph you will probably get 2 or 3 there

nope, i moved it down 2 :frown: i totally messed it up, think that probably cost me my A :'(
5b was nasty:angry: I got completely thrown by it. I'm guessing that if you brought in root 3/2 and tried to make some head way you'll probably gain a few marks. I hope they would but comparing other highers to maths, maths always has quite a high a mark. It might be brought down to the 69/70% zone or possibly a bit lower. There is no doubting most of paper 2 was a/b grade questions.

I wrote down root 3 over two haha! And I also multiplied the 2 at the bottom of the fraction through the k bracket, hopefully what I did will get me 1/2 marks and I'm really disappointed with 30//40 on MC! If it stays at 75% I'm unlikely to get an A but if it lowers to around 72/73 I'm in with a shot! I agree it was mostly A/B questions which is very unusual I'm sure it's normally about 45% A if not lower, so they should lower the A mark even by a little, I hope so anyway :frown: another quick question see for the wave equation question in paper one I recall finding out the two values for cutting the x axis couldn't get the y, but I did it in degrees, do you reckon I'll get 1/3?

how many marks would you get for not making the 30 root3/2, but still rearranging the equation etc?
Reply 1390
nope, i moved it down 2 :frown: i totally messed it up, think that probably cost me my A :'(

:mad: graph transformations are always quite difficult, especially when they reorder the expression by placing the 2 at the front.
so annoyed, made so many stupid mistakes, like the stationary points one, i was convinced it wouldn't factorise, so i differentiated and subbed 0 and 3 into them, and into the original, and got like (3,0) and (6,0), then 5b, i didn't think once to do cos30, i just left it was 30, then the 2 graphs questions, i thought it was a quartic graph so made it a quadric graph, stil hope i get marks for the points and on part b, flipping the graph and moving it 2 units up!
Reply 1392
Original post by Amelia_Lynch
I wrote down root 3 over two haha! And I also multiplied the 2 at the bottom of the fraction through the k bracket, hopefully what I did will get me 1/2 marks and I'm really disappointed with 30//40 on MC! If it stays at 75% I'm unlikely to get an A but if it lowers to around 72/73 I'm in with a shot! I agree it was mostly A/B questions which is very unusual I'm sure it's normally about 45% A if not lower, so they should lower the A mark even by a little, I hope so anyway :frown: another quick question see for the wave equation question in paper one I recall finding out the two values for cutting the x axis couldn't get the y, but I did it in degrees, do you reckon I'll get 1/3?

You'd probably get at least 1 but my teacher told us that they are becoming really harsh when degrees is used and not radians, although it usually doesn't amount to more than a couple of marks off.
Good luck come August 7th, I can just see future years looking back on our exam and saying '2012 is clearly the most difficult paper ever, glad I didn't do it'. Just got to hope the SQA adjust boundaries to ensure its still a fair exam
:crossedf:
Reply 1393
Think I've got 79%, hoping that will be an A .. Made stupid mistakes though that would have put my percentage right up!!
Reply 1394
Original post by Blue7195
how many marks would you get for not making the 30 root3/2, but still rearranging the equation etc?

I'm guessing you may pick up 1 or 2, just depends how far you got into the reordering
I'm guessing you may pick up 1 or 2, just depends how far you got into the reordering

ah great, i'm in the 74-75% vicinity, thanks to 40/40 on multi choice.. so here's hoping for that A!
Hey could anyone please post pictures of the marking scheme? for some reason im unable to open it :frown:
You'd probably get at least 1 but my teacher told us that they are becoming really harsh when degrees is used and not radians, although it usually doesn't amount to more than a couple of marks off.
Good luck come August 7th, I can just see future years looking back on our exam and saying '2012 is clearly the most difficult paper ever, glad I didn't do it'. Just got to hope the SQA adjust boundaries to ensure its still a fair exam
:crossedf:

Hopefully i'll get 1 mark for that question, the marks add up!Good luck to you as well, but by the sounds of things you won't need it! I've already heard people saying that they're glad they didn't do it haha! I really hope they lower the boundary even a little bit. But it was much harder than last years and it was 75% so I'm sure there will be some change!

Original post by ukdragon37
Paper 2 solutions are attached. I did this quickly so mistakes might creep in. Do tell me and I'll correct them :smile:

Please link to this post rather than the file itself so the link is always to the most up-to-date version.

EDIT: Paper 1 solutions now attached as well.

ahhh when i click it to open it just dissapears, can someone post photos pleaseeee?
Original post by JackoGeddes
ahhh when i click it to open it just dissapears, can someone post photos pleaseeee?

Do you have acrobat reader installed? http://get.adobe.com/reader/ If you already have it installed but it's not working in your browser then try saving the files to your computer (right click the file link, save target/link location as) and then opening them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending