The Student Room Group

S1 May 2012 - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by zzz.
For the venn, did anyone else write that T and W are mutually exclusive instead of B and W ??

oh god.... I think I did
so I wouldn't get any marks??
Original post by Killer_94
oh god.... I think I did
so I wouldn't get any marks??

from what I gather, it means the same thing, as the two also have no probable outcomes in common
Original post by When you see it...
ARGUMENT FROM AUTHORITY.
You know what, I am out.
Goodbye thread, I hope y'all enjoy living in your tiny worlds where teachers are always correct and, so long as they assure you that they are correct, there is no need to question it. After all, why have things explained to you when you can just rely on the teacher to tell you that they are correct?
Aren't teachers supposed to teach? So isn't it reasonable to ask for an explanation so that you can understand something better? You know, LEARN.
What makes you think that your enquiries are 'meaningful conversations' but mine aren't?
You know what, don't answer that. Neg this post if you want, but don't reply.
I'm out.

Oh, you're studying critical thinking! Please, tell me more about how you can tear people's arguments to pieces. I wondered why you started throwing around phrases like ad hominem where they didn't really fit.
I'm not living in a tiny world - I'm just able to understand his answers and see that they're right.
Yours wasn't a meaningful inquiry anyway, or any kind of inquiry. It was a patronising and arrogant correction, free from a single questioning word.
Reply 383
I added and got 62/75.. Please be an A
Reply 384
Original post by JakeMachinima
First? :smile:

This exam was lovely :biggrin:

Hold on did anybody write for the venn diagram question that T and W were mutually exclusive because they never had an intersection or am i wrong because it looks correct as they dont intersect so are mutually exclusive?? Pleaseeee Helppp meee :confused: :frown:
Original post by Zhy
I don't bite unless you want me too, by the way. But I can't help it if I'm holding something tasty. :wink:

Ummm
I dont know what to say to that.
Reply 386
Original post by hArdMaN100
from what I gather, it means the same thing, as the two also have no probable outcomes in common

pheww that' okay... I can't afford to lose any more marks
Reply 387
Original post by gshock
Hold on did anybody write for the venn diagram question that T and W were mutually exclusive because they never had an intersection or am i wrong because it looks correct as they dont intersect so are mutually exclusive?? Pleaseeee Helppp meee :confused: :frown:

no it doesn't matter... its the same thing
Surely T and W are mutually exclusive as well as B and W?
They did say name 2, which implies that there was more than one possible correct answer?
I mean, logically, if B and W are, so should T and W be.
Two quick questions:
For the normal distribution question for the 60th percentile one, I rounded my answer to 3 s.f. so I got 164 instead of 163.9 would I still get the marks?

And for the Venn diagrams question where it says state two events that are mutually exclusive I wrote both B and W are mutuallyexclusive bcos their intersection is 0 but I also wrote T and W are mutually exclusive for the same reason. Would I get penalised?
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Oh, you're studying critical thinking! Please, tell me more about how you can tear people's arguments to pieces. I wondered why you started throwing around phrases like ad hominem where they didn't really fit.
I'm not living in a tiny world - I'm just able to understand his answers and see that they're right.
Yours wasn't a meaningful inquiry anyway, or any kind of inquiry. It was a patronising and arrogant correction, free from a single questioning word.

Should I reply...
Nah, I need to revise.
I'm not studying critical thinking, I think it is a BS subject tbh with all the definitions etc.
What I will say (again, I'm not looking to carry on this argument, please don't reply!) is that my use of 'ad hominem' was appropriate because the other user said 'people like you...' which is akin to the old people who say 'people like you are ruining this country' - it is a needless personal attack. It would be better to say 'your behaviour in this specific sense is something I disagree with and the general consensus is that it doesn't fit in with the traditions of this country, which I would like to (for whatever reason - seems a bit stupid to me) preserve'.
Erm... yeah. I don't want an argument with you. If you reply again I probably won't reply back (although I will read if you want to make a final point).
My original enquiries were that:
I didn't get his solution to the drawing regression line question. I suggested a simpler method and asked him to explain his;
I thought he was wrong (I still do) about the 'evaluate the hypothesis' question. Based on past markschemes, his solution is wrong. I don't see how this is arrogant. Also, there is no such thing as patronising really. In any case, I would rather sound patronising (that wasn't my intention though) than not explain something properly, as Arsey did for the regression line drawing question (what do you make of his method for this just out of interest - maybe you can explain it to me).
Anyway, you seem to be upset in some way by my comments. I am sorry for that - my intention was not to start a flame war.
Reply 391
64/65 out of 75 so I'm quite pleased, except for the fact that I realised I had made a mistake on the normal distribution question just as the invigilator said to put your pens down :angry: defo ended up spending way too long figuring out the histogram question! Let's hope the grade boundaries don't go up too much from previous years

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S
Original post by Kidioteque
I did this! Except I sort of said "therefore it is impossible for a value to be both at the same time" or something, assumed when looking through the paper that I would get the marks for this but I'm a bit worried now :/

Original post by dan94adibi
Exactly what I said. :P hope we get the marks :smile:

Hopefully they accept it, there should be more than one way of answering that question. :redface:
Original post by Arsey

Can you please clear some of my queries:

I did everything correct except that i forgot(brain fade!) to use interpolation while finding the median in the histogram question. The value of median i got was 25.

I said that it is less than 28.8 so the data is positive skewed, i showed that the mean is greater than median.

In the last part of the histogram question, i said that median will be used because data is skewed.

Will i get full marks for other parts except the median part?

In the last question i got confused in part b and c. I did 2 attempts for part b and 4 attempts for part c. In both parts i got one of those answers which matches with your's, will i get full marks in it?

Please clear my doubts.
For 5(e), I said the median because it isn't affected by extreme values. Would I get both marks for this. Also, for the question say why a linear regression model may be appropriate, I said because the points quite closely follow a linear relationship. Would I get any marks for this?
Reply 395
Original post by Arsey
S1 May 2012

Not sure what to make of this paper, certainly required a little more thought than normal

Q1 - DRV

Easy

Q2 - PMCC

Easy

Q3 - Linear regression

Bit weird but pretty easy

Q4 - Venn

So stupidly easy

Q5 - Measures of location / spread

Very weird - you could have quite easily solved it by spotting that there were 22.5 5x5 squares so each 5x5 square represented 20 cars.

However I think this will be a massive bloodbath with many students picking up no marks.

Q6 - Normal distribution

Harder than normal I would say; I used the % points table to answer b) and c)

Q7 - Probability

Fairly easy but pretty unusual

I am going for

75 - 100ums
68 - 90ums
61 - 80ums
53 - 70ums
45 - 60ums
37 - 50ums
29 - 40ums

This thread will be locked at somepoint and then unlocked at midnight following the Stats 1 examination.

I will upload the paper and my solutions to this post.

I will do my best to answer questions about the paper but please try to read the thread first so that I am not answering the same questions lots of times.

Here are some links to previous S1 threads, they are worth a read and you will see what the common errors were...

S1 Jan 2012 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1865940

S1 June 2011 - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1619124

The second link contains loads of past papers, model answers etc

Good luck.

Isn't the mean...
the sum of fx/the sum of f
not..
the sum of fx/n??
Reply 396
65/75 isn't so bad... hopefully the grade boundaries aren't too high
Reply 397
Any one know when the official ms will be up so we can check out witch marks are m's and A's. need to stop think out this exam, its killing me.
Reply 398
Sweeeeeeeet, didn't lose too many marks on this, just a couple with my worded answer explanations and maybe 3 others (:
Original post by RaBaa
Any one know when the official ms will be up so we can check out witch marks are m's and A's. need to stop think out this exam, its killing me.

Day before results day - 15th August

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending