The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Eh, didn't post well first time...

Can someone please give this a quick look over and tell me if it is disasterous, okay or good? I'm thinking it's a 13/15 mark essay personally I did it in about 35 minutes...

A novel in which the setting in place and/or time is a significant feature
Show how the writer’s use of setting contributes to your understanding of the character as a whole.

‘The Changeling’ by Robin Jenkins is a novel in which place is a significant feature. Tom Curdie is a thirteen year old boy taken on holiday by his teacher, Charlie Forbes who feels that by giving Tom an idea of how life can be outside of the slum ‘Donaldson’s Court’, to encourage academically gifted Tom to not let where he lives blind him to what is available to him. The significance of place helps you to deepen your understanding of, not only Tom’s character development, but the themes of ‘nature vs nurture’ and ‘charity’.

At the start of the novel Tom Curdie comes across as a very emotionally distant child who, although loyal, does not form emotional bonds with others: ‘Pity was never shown by him, only comradeship’. Tom has made himself emotionally distant in order to create a metaphorical armour from the society found in Donaldson’s court. In fact Tom does not form an emotional attachment even with his own mother: ’she was a phenomenon he had known since birth’. By describing his own mother as a ‘phenomenon’ Tom is showing his loyalty and respect towards her, however he is still creating emotional distance. The significance of place is shown here as it is the reason Tom has taught himself to act this way in order to protect himself from being destroyed by the court: ‘’the splendour and beauty of the great beast would have been extinguished’’. This shows that the impact of the court can destroy even the most powerful of creatures such as a Tiger. The lack of emotional bond also helps to deepen your understanding of the books theme ‘nature vs nurture’ as it demonstrates what effect a place that is so poverty stricken can have on a child’s development.

Once Tom has been taken out of the court and has arrived at Towellen with Charlie and his family we being to see Tom beginning to shed his armour and forming emotional bonds. Due to this we also see Tom making an attempt to remind himself that he must stay distant and not form bonds as he must go back. In order to do this Tom steals a can opener and a tin of ointment during the families visit to Woolworths.

However, it soon becomes apparent that Tom cannot stop himself from becoming emotionally attached and we being to see his emotional development mirroring that of a young child: ‘‘I will go sing a Scots song sir, if you like’’. Here Tom is offering to sing a song, at the Go-as-you-please competition, in order to please Charlie who had just complained about the material being chosen by the contestants. The eager wish to please Charlie is done in a way that would be seen in a child much younger than Tom. This again shows the significance that place has on Tom and the theme of nature vs nurture once again as, once being taken out of his home, Tom beings a more natural course of emotional development.

Being in Towellen soon leads to Tom becoming much more emotionally open and he quickly discovers that he cannot return to Donaldson’s Court as the society would destroy him. Because of this Tom impulsively commits suicide when his family arrives at Towellen in order to take him home. This is another example of the importance of place in the novel with Tom having now adapted to a way of life that has caused him to become open emotionally and therefore likely to become a ‘product’ of Donaldson’s Court. The theme of ‘charity’ is evident here as it introduces the argument that Charlie had caused more harm than good by taking Tom out of Donaldson’s court. This is because Charlie had never considered the reasons for Tom surrounding himself with such a metaphorical armour and had never experienced what life for life in the court personally, therefore he could never truly relate to Tom and his situation. Charlie did not realise that by taking Tom out of Donaldson’s Court he would be stripping him of his ability to return.

In conclusion, the importance of place is significant in ‘The Changeling’ as it is key in Tom Curdie’s character development. Place helps to deepen your understanding of the novels theme of ‘nature vs nurture’ as in Donaldson’s Court Tom is in a situation full of poverty which leads to his protective, distant, nature. However, when Tom is taking in to a more nurturing environment with the Forbes family we see a radical change in the boy’s attitude. The theme of ‘charity’ is also aided by place as it introduces that idea that Charlie caused Tom harm more so than good.
Reply 181
How long are essays supposed to be? I usually aim for roughly 2/3 sides of A4 is that okay or..? What does everyone else write?
Reply 182
i usually write 5-6 pages of A4 but my writing is quite big, usually 8 words a line:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
There is no set limit for essays, and it has been said on this thread and others several times! Quality not Quantity and thats coming from SQA!
Original post by dead101
How long are essays supposed to be? I usually aim for roughly 2/3 sides of A4 is that okay or..? What does everyone else write?

The essay I just posted was around 800 if that helps but yeah what the previous poster said, quality not quantity. However I think it needs to be minimum of 500 but I'm not sure (max 1300 maybe too?) if that's just the folio pieces or not.
Original post by Melancholymelody
The essay I just posted was around 800 if that helps but yeah what the previous poster said, quality not quantity. However I think it needs to be minimum of 500 but I'm not sure (max 1300 maybe too?) if that's just the folio pieces or not.

That is just the folio guidelines. If there was a set limit, the SQA would state it on the exam paper.
Original post by freedom123
That is just the folio guidelines. If there was a set limit, the SQA would state it on the exam paper.

Ah okay, thank you for clearing that up for me :smile:
Appeals continue as normal this year. Changes to the process come in for the 2013-2014 academic year.

Sources: 1, 2, 3.

Original post by Melancholymelody
Someone could just have a really off day or crack under the pressure of the exam

Welcome to the real world. Sorry. :frown:
I have had to do a lot of online studying and I was wondering that if by learning sample essays online would put me at risk of plagiarism? :confused:
Original post by dead101

Apparently 650 words is okay. With 1000 being the limit. I tend to write between 800-900 words.
Reply 190
Original post by phospholipidx
I have had to do a lot of online studying and I was wondering that if by learning sample essays online would put me at risk of plagiarism? :confused:

My teacher got the majority of our notes on Hamlet online, so let's hope that isn't the case! :frown:
Original post by zaaara
My teacher got the majority of our notes on Hamlet online, so let's hope that isn't the case! :frown:

I'm so worried haha! Although there is no chance in the exam hall I will write it exactly word for word, I'm not sure if this will save me?
Reply 192
Original post by zaaara

Not unless you quote passages from your notes..... You can use the stuff you're given, but you HAVE to rewrite it into your own words.
Reply 193
Original post by lapples
Not unless you quote passages from your notes..... You can use the stuff you're given, but you HAVE to rewrite it into your own words.

Yeah. I wouldn't be able to reproduce what I have in my notes under timed conditions anyway, haha!:biggrin:
Here's hoping to good questions, though.
Reply 194
Original post by zaaara
Yeah. I wouldn't be able to reproduce what I have in my notes under timed conditions anyway, haha!:biggrin:
Here's hoping to good questions, though.

Ha ha I wish I could :tongue:
I hope they have nice vague questions that you can write whatever you like about :L those ones are the best....
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Appeals continue as normal this year. Changes to the process come in for the 2013-2014 academic year.

Sources: 1, 2, 3.

Welcome to the real world. Sorry. :frown:

I stand corrected, that's definitely not what we've been told this year.

Original post by phospholipidx

Yes, it would.

Original post by JaggySnake95
Apparently 650 words is okay. With 1000 being the limit. I tend to write between 800-900 words.

There's no set maximum or minimum word limit for the double essay. As long as you answer the question, you get marked on technical accuracy and relevance to the question. :smile:
Reply 196
i done cone gatherers last year and wrote on it - i absolutley hated is especially under pressure
Reply 197
Original post by caillieg
i done cone gatherers last year and wrote on it - i absolutley hated is especially under pressure

It's driving me insane atm! i hate this text :frown: hoping i don't have to write about it:/!
Reply 198
Upper word limit 1300? Or is that just Folio?
Original post by lapples
Upper word limit 1300? Or is that just Folio?

That's just for the folio. There is no word limit in the exam, "Quality not quantity" as has been said

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending