Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I think my grammar may have lost me a few marks:O

I forget the most basic levels of grammar when i am under pressure:colondollar:
Original post by LiveToSki

there is some leeway when it comes to grammar because they know you are under pressure! but if theres consistent basic technical accuracy mistakes then the essay fails on techinical accuracy and its 9 or 11 marks for it!! youll be fine though! :colone:
Original post by LiveToSki

hahaha thats the exact same as me, i read over what i've written and its just the first words that come to my head and dont really make full sentances.

i also notice i repeat the point like a million times especially at the beggining, leaving me scrambling at the end!
I just thought this year was a really odd year for Higher English. The contrast question was weird, majority of the prose questions I've never seen before - ever! And they made the last question really difficult to do, the one in my prelim was much easier :frown: I'm worried as I think my essays were a bit dodgy, and I didn't do fantastically in either sections of the close reading. OH WELL!
I need to go revise for maths on Monday, bleh.
Reply 384
Original post by ByTheSeaside
Had an absolute nightmare, no questions I thought would come up came up. Ended up doing death of a salesman about a scene that was distarious or something like that panicked so much i cant remember the question haha. Then Gatsby done the question about not taking advised and based my essay solely around Nick saying "you can't relive the past." Felt i wrote ok but cant imagine I was meant to use they questions :mad:

Owell onto maths...

Is it not "can't repeat the past"
Original post by Direct15
Is it not "can't repeat the past"

awww nooooooooooooo :eek:

Hope i don't get too heavily penalised for that
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 386

They're quite forgiving when you make an odd mistake like that - DON'T WORRY!!
Original post by JackoGeddes
you wont get a mark for saying the weather was good haha, i think you had to emphisise the stadiums beauty and how culturally it was important to them!

yeah i said the culture thing and their heritage and i couldnt think of anything else. But i did say it enhances the beauty of the stadium so maybe but yeah your probably right!
Reply 388
I did Question 1 - A View from the Bridge and question 14 - At Central Station and In the Snack Bar both by Edwin Morgan!

I was honestly dreading this paper and was hoping to just scrape a pass but i think the close reading went well and my poetry essay too so im very happy now :L
Reply 389
Anybody use the idea of contrast between the world cup and Olympics? I hated the fact that passage one was only worth 22 marks compared to the other passage
Original post by Dawn6789
Exactly! Which texts did you do? I did 'In Mrs Tilscher's Class' and 'The Go-Between'.

I had mrs tilschers class learnt but not very well so i went for this one called the waiting room about old age. it was my prose one that let me down though i had lord of the flies and i did a failure but it just got muddled because i kept missing things out and having to go back and rethink what i was saying which i didnt have much time to write it in and it wasnt very long
Original post by rawragee
I just thought this year was a really odd year for Higher English. The contrast question was weird, majority of the prose questions I've never seen before - ever! And they made the last question really difficult to do, the one in my prelim was much easier :frown: I'm worried as I think my essays were a bit dodgy, and I didn't do fantastically in either sections of the close reading. OH WELL!
I need to go revise for maths on Monday, bleh.

I totally agree! The prose was horrendous so I just ignored it :frown: Ended up doing Q3- Streetcar disturbing scene and Q12 My Last duchess.

Thoses were honestly the worst essays I have ever written and I think I've failed my streetcar one :frown: The close reasing was good though!!
Reply 392
Hoping that because we are all saying the paper was pretty fair - they don't put the grade boundaries up!

Did question 1 - View from the Bridge and question 8 - lord of the flies.
Think it went okay - next exam Bio on Wednesday!

you probably won't the SQA understand its exam conditions and there are a lot of quotes to learn. it also is very similar so they will be even more considerate about that so dont worrY!!
Original post by SamG95
Hoping that because we are all saying the paper was pretty fair - they don't put the grade boundaries up!

Did question 1 - View from the Bridge and question 8 - lord of the flies.
Think it went okay - next exam Bio on Wednesday!

i did question 5 for lord of the flies. who did you do 8 on? i was thinking about simon but i didnt know enough quotes for it.
Original post by Dawn6789
They're quite forgiving when you make an odd mistake like that - DON'T WORRY!!

Thanks, hopefully they are. In general teachers understand the pressure that you are under in 5th year.
Reply 396
Original post by kev2012
Did anyone else do "A view from the bridge" or "the horses" essays ?

Did "A View from the Bridge" for question 1. Think that went ok.

Anyone do question 5 for "Lord of the Flies"? :s-smilie:
Original post by lapples
Only 65% for an A?
There is hope yet :smile:
I was panicking cos to get an A in Chemistry you usually have to have 80/85% :O

No you dont, Pass mark was 43% last year, 68% for an A
Reply 398
Question 1 - Hamlet
Question 12 - Brooklyn Cop

Didn't think either paper was that bad, although the last CR question was ridiculous. I only got like 3 points and all of them were random stabs at answers :frown:
Reply 399
Original post by ImagineThat95
I had mrs tilschers class learnt but not very well so i went for this one called the waiting room about old age. it was my prose one that let me down though i had lord of the flies and i did a failure but it just got muddled because i kept missing things out and having to go back and rethink what i was saying which i didnt have much time to write it in and it wasnt very long

ah! For me it was the other way round - the poetry let me down. BUT! Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending