The Student Room Group

F581 OCR Economics May 18th

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Pride
it said alone, not only...

Oh dear, are you being serious, or is this some sort of joke? How do you think you would have 18 marks worth of things to say about just regulation?

im being serious.....theres more then anough to say for 18 marks u dont lose marks for mentioning the others but you dont gain them either.
Reply 381
Can I check with some of my answers on here? I remember a few questions

For a demerit good I put: A good which is worse for the consumer than he/she realises

For the 18 marker I talked about examples of regulation eg I talked about restricting opening times and then tried to hit level 4 by saying how effective it will be depends on how specific the opening time rules are (only open 10 hours a day? or not after 8pm? etc)... I then talked about restricting advertising, an example would be advertisements would HAVE to have the nutritional information of the products being advertised on them in order to meet government standards, I then said that this would depend on peoples ability to comprehend nutritional lables.

Any thoughts?
Original post by MasonM
Can I check with some of my answers on here? I remember a few questions

For a demerit good I put: A good which is worse for the consumer than he/she realises

For the 18 marker I talked about examples of regulation eg I talked about restricting opening times and then tried to hit level 4 by saying how effective it will be depends on how specific the opening time rules are (only open 10 hours a day? or not after 8pm? etc)... I then talked about restricting advertising, an example would be advertisements would HAVE to have the nutritional information of the products being advertised on them in order to meet government standards, I then said that this would depend on peoples ability to comprehend nutritional lables.

Any thoughts?

Demerit good you probably also had to state that It thus implies it is being over produced/consumed. And for the 18 marker you would be okay. But it depends on your analysis of the regulation and how it actually would correct the market failure. Otherwise if you don't hit level 3 you can't get into level 4, sad I know :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 383
you know for the comparison of mcdonalds and burger king did you have to do a movement in demand for mcdonalds and a decrease in demand for burger king (i didnt do it this way)??
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by kris3332
you know for the comparison of mcdonalds and burger king did you have to do a extension in demand for mcdonalds and a decrease in demand for burger king (i didnt do it this way)??

What other way could you have done it? It said assuming supply doesn't change.
Original post by koolkelv

I stupidly did a movement for bk along the demand curve. So no shift.

Reply 386
Original post by koolkelv

just like t00 g00d for u said a movement, it gave me a headache in the exam but luckily for me i did it right :smile:
Reply 387
Original post by t00 g00d for u
I stupidly did a movement for bk along the demand curve. So no shift.

Too bad, it would've been correct if it was just about the value menu, as price falls and demand for it is rising
Help guys! For my 18 marker I wrote about
-Negative externalities and a tax diagram. Overconsumption, missallocation of resources, not at optimum level of output, allocative inefficient...
-Wrote about regulation and tax and how it would reduce the demand of demerit goods
-Evaluation like cost of enforcement, need support from the public
-Information failure and how the government uses regulation to make firms provide accurate information
-Small evaluation and judgement

Btw the yed question, is 0 a normal good?
Reply 389
Original post by Stardust Mirage
Help guys! For my 18 marker I wrote about
-Negative externalities and a tax diagram. Overconsumption, missallocation of resources, not at optimum level of output, allocative inefficient...
-Wrote about regulation and tax and how it would reduce the demand of demerit goods
-Evaluation like cost of enforcement, need support from the public
-Information failure and how the government uses regulation to make firms provide accurate information
-Small evaluation and judgement

Btw the yed question, is 0 a normal good?

Neither normal nor inferior? but i assume you can get away with normal as it's sort of "positive"

Really, a normal good is one which rises in demand as income rises. An inferior good is one which falls in demand as income rises. Neither of these apply to a YED of 0 when you think about it.
0 means the good is completely inelastic to a change in income.

It was only 2 marks tho. You get 2 for the figures (one for 0 and one for 2), then 2 for comparing the 2 saying one is elastic, one is inelastic. I didn't compare though :frown:
Original post by uxa595
Neither normal nor inferior? but i assume you can get away with normal as it's sort of "positive"

Really, a normal good is one which rises in demand as income rises. An inferior good is one which falls in demand as income rises. Neither of these apply to a YED of 0 when you think about it.

It was only 2 marks tho. You get 2 for the figures (one for 0 and one for 2), then 2 for comparing the 2 saying one is elastic, one is inelastic. I didn't compare though :frown:

Thank you I did compare them. Would you mind to give an opinion of my 18marker essay?
Original post by Bonganp01
Don't be so hard on yourself! I struggled with this exam too. I agree with you that it was slightly too generous and ambiguous in terms of interpretations however its done and dusted now ,so fingers cross you never know!

:smile: well hopefully i did better than i felt but doubt it :/ xxx
Anyone remember that 6(?) marker?
I think it was something like, state & explain 2 reasons why demand for fast food increases during a recession?

What did y'all put?
Reply 393
Original post by wickenchingz
I think it was something like, state & explain 2 reasons why demand for fast food increases during a recession?

What did y'all put?

Change in consumer preferences, related it to the McDonald's ad campaign from the text.

And I explained the quote they gave about consumers switching from normal to inferior goods as incomes fall.
Reply 394
Original post by wickenchingz

What did y'all put?

i said income. It's a inferior good and so when income falls, demand rises.

Then substitutes. I said the price of restaurant food could go up in a recession due them trying to remain profitable. Therefore, demand for fast food will rise.
Reply 395
Original post by uxa595

Doesn't 0 income elasticity of demand mean that its so inelastic, it behaves like a necessity? Because necessities have 0 YED - quantity demanded does not change regardless of income - represented by a vertical line on a Income/
Q.D graph.

I wrote that, would it be correct?

Edit: Also, as YED is almost analogous to PED, this explains why in the USA is will be so difficult to reduce the sale of fast-food.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 396
Original post by bong
Doesn't 0 income elasticity of demand mean that its so inelastic, it behaves like a necessity? Because necessities have 0 YED - quantity demanded does not change regardless of income - represented by a vertical line on a Income/
Q.D graph.

I wrote that, would it be correct?

Edit: Also, as YED is almost analogous to PED, this explains why in the USA is will be so difficult to reduce the sale of fast-food.

Not sure. But as long as you have 4 marks worth of stuff, you get four marks

There were 2 4mark questions.
The first required 2 calculations for 2 marks and then the other 2 marks are reserved for a comparison, like saying one is elastic while the other is elastic.

Then it said what the business relevance of these figures were for 4 marks again.
Usually 1-2 marks are reserved for saying why they would be useful to fast food chains. So it shows them that is periods of growth, Jap is the best place or the US is a worse place or the US is a more stable investment. Also, you could probably include your point or say in Jap it's a normal good and in the US it's neither.

Then you can get the last 2 marks from saying the figures may change over time, other factors are affecting the figures, (they are estimates? not sure about this as they were real figures), elasticities of demand may be different etc.
Reply 397
Boundaries are usually 46,47 or 48 for f581. I assume it will be 48 or 49 considering how easy the paper was and the fact that it was a june resit paper.
I think i lost 3-6 marks max. You reckon that will be enough for 90?

I can't find the 90% boundaries for ocr.
Reply 398
Original post by uxa595

Yeh, I did kind of say some of those things but not quite as explicitly I was would have liked.
Reply 399
Original post by bong
Yeh, I did kind of say some of those things but not quite as explicitly I was would have liked.

Same here. For the first one, i put Japan was an elastic market but i forgot to put the US was inelastic. It specifically said compare so im assuming i didn't even get 1 mark for saying Japan was elastic.
However, i did put in the first 4 mark Q that japan was a normal good and in the US it was neither, so i can only hope....
If that works out, i have the potential of 59/60 or even 60 in that paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending