The Student Room Group

2012 Higher Physics Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by kirstyhr
That sounds horrendous. I think if I were you I'd dissolve into tears.

Men don't cry :tongue: But yeah, i'm going to fail atleast one

Original post by StudyAk
If you took RMPS then you would have been really unlucky because higher rmps is on Tuesday.

Lucky i didn't :O
Reply 181
Original post by Lucy973
Both u and a need to be either positive or negative. They're about the same direction so u can't be positive while a is negative

You seem to be know what your doing! How do you know what to do for multiple choice questions when there is no working in the sqa solutions!?????
Reply 182
hey guys, can anybody help explain Q25aii from the 2010 paper? :colondollar: thanks in advance!
Reply 183
is there anyone that go through past paper mutiple choie questions with me :frown:
Reply 184
Original post by lils129
hey guys, can anybody help explain Q25aii from the 2010 paper? :colondollar: thanks in advance!

Best way to deal with this one is to first of all split it into two series circuit. The voltmeter will read the difference between P and Q so we need to get the voltage at P and Q. To get P use the potential divider formula. In this case 800/2400 x12
Do the same with the other branch : 4000/10000 x 12
That gives Vp as 4V and Vq as 4.8. We know the reading will be 0.8 but don't know if the voltmeter is connected the correct way for this type of difference so give the answer as +- 0.8V

EDIT: just noticed marking scheme just give +0.8V but I doubt there is any harm in giving both positive and negative 0.8V
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by benten17

Best way to deal with this one is to first of all split it into two series circuit. The voltmeter will read the difference between P and Q so we need to get the voltage at P and Q. To get P use the potential divider formula. In this case 800/2400 x12
Do the same with the other branch : 4000/10000 x 12
That gives Vp as 4V and Vq as 4.8. We know the reading will be 0.8 but don't know if the voltmeter is connected the correct way for this type of difference so give the answer as +- 0.8V

EDIT: just noticed marking scheme just give +0.8V but I doubt there is any harm in giving both positive and negative 0.8V

Ahh right! Thanks very much!
Reply 186
Original post by kirstyhr
Pretty much the same as you! I can never study one subject for long before I feel that I'm neglecting my studies for the other subject and I switch. Not good! I think I'll end up cramming a lot of stuff for RMPS rather than Physics, just because I'm kind of terrified for the Physics exam, especially after the monstrosity that was Higher Maths... :frown:

Yea, I bloody hope they dont try anything like that with Physics!
I'm fine with that maths exam 'cause I can afford to loose a few marks, but I really cat when it comes to Physics as I'm only a few percent over 70 :/
Reply 187
Maths is my strongest subject and I found the exam really hard. Physics is my weakest subject... hence 15 hours a day of panic revision :woo:
Reply 188
Original post by -Neuro-
Hello I was wondering how hard Higher Physics was.
I'm taking it next year and was wondering if you guys had any tips :smile:
How much revsion would you recommend per day?

Do you mean per day during study leave or everyday?!
Reply 189
I have been doing bad in higher physics, didn;tt understand it because i havent spent enough of my own time revising.
Do you trying to remember everything in bbc bitesize higher physics be enough for the higher exam(thinking of doing 1 topic per day) so far I managed to do machanic and property matter topic in one day and i actually understand Physics much better! :eek:

Do you think by doing so i will be able to get a good grade for physics and maybe do past papers on the day before? So doing the second topic tomorow and 3rd one on Saturday then past paper on sunday? I have Higher Rmps a day after too so i have been revising like 3 hours on Rmps and like 7 hours on Physics a day, started today. Suggestions please. Thanks!
Original post by StudyAk
I have been doing bad in higher physics, didn;tt understand it because i havent spent enough of my own time revising.
Do you trying to remember everything in bbc bitesize higher physics be enough for the higher exam(thinking of doing 1 topic per day) so far I managed to do machanic and property matter topic in one day and i actually understand Physics much better! :eek:

Do you think by doing so i will be able to get a good grade for physics and maybe do past papers on the day before? So doing the second topic tomorow and 3rd one on Saturday then past paper on sunday? I have Higher Rmps a day after too so i have been revising like 3 hours on Rmps and like 7 hours on Physics a day, started today. Suggestions please. Thanks!

This is my plan for revision too! :biggrin: (except I don't do RMPS, and Physics is my last exam). However, personally I think Bitesize is somewhat lacking. Do you have a SCHOLAR account? I'm not sure if every school uses it. It would be a shame if you don't, I think it's much better.

You could also try doing questions relating to the topic you revise on the same day, to 'consolidate your learning' as my teachers love to say :smile:
I think, if you put your mind to it and keep a cool head, you'll do fine :^_^:
Reply 191
Original post by DragonHeartstring
This is my plan for revision too! :biggrin: (except I don't do RMPS, and Physics is my last exam). However, personally I think Bitesize is somewhat lacking. Do you have a SCHOLAR account? I'm not sure if every school uses it. It would be a shame if you don't, I think it's much better.

You could also try doing questions relating to the topic you revise on the same day, to 'consolidate your learning' as my teachers love to say :smile:
I think, if you put your mind to it and keep a cool head, you'll do fine :^_^:

Yes i know what you mean. Bitezise is a bit lacking but the theory bit of it is short and simple and i did one question of a past paper to see if it was actually helping and i got it right and i get 0 marks in physics haha. The theory bit of it i even got right had to to with when kinetic energy increases particles heat up and collide against walls of object causing a force on particle and increasing pressure :biggrin: Forget what i said lol. But i don't know my pasword for scholar :frown: I think i will have to stick with bitesize.
Oh, well that's alright then :biggrin:. Although, it might be a good idea to read through some of your notes in case your missing something crucial or often tested on. Or in case bitesize has skipped over something :s-smilie:

That sucks you don't know your password. Maybe you could try this instead. There's a whole load of videos for the Higher course. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyOHwJ8O3m8
Reply 193
Oh, well that's alright then :biggrin:. Although, it might be a good idea to read through some of your notes in case your missing something crucial or often tested on. Or in case bitesize has skipped over something :s-smilie:

That sucks you don't know your password. Maybe you could try this instead. There's a whole load of videos for the Higher course. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyOHwJ8O3m8

Omg this is amazing. Does he cover evey single part of the higher course?
Original post by StudyAk
Omg this is amazing. Does he cover evey single part of the higher course?

I'm not sure if it's all of the course, it is quite a bit though :biggrin: I think they're great, although I don't appreciate the Biology jokes much :dry: (I'm going to uni in Sept for Forensic Biology :smile: )
Reply 195
I'm not sure if it's all of the course, it is quite a bit though :biggrin: I think they're great, although I don't appreciate the Biology jokes much :dry: (I'm going to uni in Sept for Forensic Biology :smile: )

haha. So you want to become a Csi investigator :biggrin: I think im going to learn the topics from bitezise and then instead of taking breaks watching t.v or going out, i will take breaks by watching those videos. PERFECT! Thanks again, hope you do good. I was thinking of dropping Physics on the last week but i stuck on to it. Might aswell give it a go. Hoping for a B which i think in unlikely
Original post by StudyAk
haha. So you want to become a Csi investigator :biggrin: I think im going to learn the topics from bitezise and then instead of taking breaks watching t.v or going out, i will take breaks by watching those videos. PERFECT! Thanks again, hope you do good. I was thinking of dropping Physics on the last week but i stuck on to it. Might aswell give it a go. Hoping for a B which i think in unlikely

Hmm, I'm not sure what I want to do. I applied for FB because you can switch out of the course but not into it :rolleyes:

Good plan, and no problem :biggrin: I hope you do well too! Of course you can get a B!
Reply 197
Hmm, I'm not sure what I want to do. I applied for FB because you can switch out of the course but not into it :rolleyes:

Good plan, and no problem :biggrin: I hope you do well too! Of course you can get a B!

ah ok. Good luck to you to. Just keep revising. Keep all temptations out of the way and just spare the next few days in revising and then you will be free:eek::biggrin: You will have over 4 months break!

Yeah i hope we do good. It usually pays of if we work hard. Also studying sciences in university can lead to a whole load of path careers. For example if you study law, you could end up getting a job in business. Same goes for what your studying. It will open up lots of variey of path careers and if you don't enjoy it you can always switch completely when your in uni.:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by StudyAk
You seem to be know what your doing! How do you know what to do for multiple choice questions when there is no working in the sqa solutions!?????

Haha thanks :smile: I have a good teacher :biggrin: I could try and help you with the multiple choice if you still need it (can't guarentee I'll be able to do them all though :P)
does anyone doing the Revised course know where I could find some good/hard practice questions for the time dilation/length contraction stuff? I find those equations really difficult! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending