The Student Room Group

2012 Higher Physics Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tomctutor
..attached..

Thankyou Webbster91 ive checked through your answers and they seem to agree with my attached worked solutions to within 1sf more or less!

Thanks to AndrewM95 Ive also included optimised scans you gave me from the original paper.
Please quote link to this thread as: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=37811443&postcount=694

Thank you for this! Looks like I got about 80%, more or less (from what I can remember anyway). I know I got 17/20 on the MC :biggrin:
I was told that the actual SQA marking schemes go up during summer, anyone know a date for this?
Original post by David Young
I was told that the actual SQA marking schemes go up during summer, anyone know a date for this?

Yes later in the summer - there is no firm date - a useful student information guide can be seen here (appeals, dates etc. published by SQA):http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/YourExams2012.pdf

BrightRed publish the mi's early in August usually together with their past-papers books.

Paper and soltn here in this thread:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=37811443&postcount=694
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 783
right see for the fabric question, i got 76mm .. did anyone else get that?
Guys, I just recalculated my answers again and again. Given that I don't recall exactly what working I did, and what I wrote in the explanations, it's not exact. However, I did take 5 marks off for possible wrong workings, etc. I get something definitely in the region of 73% - 78%. Taking into consideration the level of difficulty of this year's paper, do you think it's possible I could get an 'A' with my lowest possible score (73%)?
2009 paper was 75% for an A, but that was dead easy. While this year was easy, it wasn't simple to that extent (the MC was quite a lot harder than usual, I thought...)
Reply 785
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be this year?
Can't stop thinking about this exam and the result! :smile:

Looking at past papers (having done most of them at least twice before the main exam!) and the external assessment reports on the SQA website, I think we can safely place the boundary at anywhere between 64 (2011) which is 71% and 68 (2009) which is 75%, it seems to have decreased gradually since 2009 despite the fact that I personally feel 2011 is easier when compared to 2009. Think it's unlikely the boundary for an A will be below 64 this year.

Although, having said that, the multi-choice this year was definitely a bit more difficult I felt than previous years, which may affect the results. But also, anyone feel there was a much greater emphasis this year on explaining questions rather than calculations ?, the EA reports tend to show that pupils do best in calculations and bad in explanations. Ever since 2010 there has been a gradual shift towards questions with more explaining, it's quite possible (bear in mind, I'm not a expert) that the reason why the A boundary has consistently gone down since 2009 is because the results have been affected by pupils not doing so well in explanation questions and dropping marks which affects overall performance on which the boundaries are set.

All I've said may well be a load of rubbish, but we do like to speculate :tongue:
Original post by S119234
Can't stop thinking about this exam and the result! :smile:

Looking at past papers (having done most of them at least twice before the main exam!) and the external assessment reports on the SQA website, I think we can safely place the boundary at anywhere between 64 (2011) which is 71% and 68 (2009) which is 75%, it seems to have decreased gradually since 2009 despite the fact that I personally feel 2011 is easier when compared to 2009. Think it's unlikely the boundary for an A will be below 64 this year.

Although, having said that, the multi-choice this year was definitely a bit more difficult I felt than previous years, which may affect the results. But also, anyone feel there was a much greater emphasis this year on explaining questions rather than calculations ?, the EA reports tend to show that pupils do best in calculations and bad in explanations. Ever since 2010 there has been a gradual shift towards questions with more explaining, it's quite possible (bear in mind, I'm not a expert) that the reason why the A boundary has consistently gone down since 2009 is because the results have been affected by pupils not doing so well in explanation questions and dropping marks which affects overall performance on which the boundaries are set.

All I've said may well be a load of rubbish, but we do like to speculate :tongue:

Its because the New Revised Higher Physics course has more explaining questions in it, and the SQA want to make that gradual shift with the Current Higher Physics. Nevertheless, Science is all about explaining stuff, being able to plonk figures into a calculator and pressing equals may be easy, but it isnt science. Just a pity that this "shift" is happening now :frown:
Reply 788
How did everyone get on.. Really gutted with my grade got a B.. Thought I could do better but some of the questions my teacher couldn't do :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 789
Original post by kev2012
How did everyone get on.. Really gutted with my grade got a B.. Thought I could do better but some of the questions my teacher couldn't do :/

I got a B too and gutted! At least I have a chance of an appeal :smile:

I got a B too, and i just scraped an A in the prelims, but still happy with my results overall.
Reply 791
Got an A in crash Physics, so happy! Hope everyone gets what they want. :smile:
I got an A, after failing the first NAB and prelim haha. Working your backside off does pay off sometimes :-)

Reply 793
I got a B too, really upset since I was crashing it and worked on Physics for weeks before the exam. Ah well, I didn't actually need it haha.
I got a B in the end as well!, they definitely raised the pass mark this year. Was very touch and go in the end though as I reckon I got about 64, so by 2011 that would have been an A, but oh well! :smile:
Reply 795
Got an A. I guess all my scribbles resembled something the examiner liked. I even drew a sad face on ony part with a note saying that the spaceship was very slow indeed. =( Maybe it was meant to be slow afterall... ?

=)
Reply 796
I also got a B when I expected to get an A. I didn't get a B in class all year and got 93% in the second prelim. Maybe the culprit is complacency? I'm holding out hope for an appeal because I want to study physics.
Reply 797
The A2 pass mark was 73% :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 798
Original post by cl1.
The A2 pass mark was 93% :smile:

Where did you get the boundaries? :smile:
Reply 799
Original post by ..lauren
Where did you get the boundaries? :smile:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/58060.html :smile:

Quick Reply