The Student Room Group

2012 higher computing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Revising computing is sooo boringggggg, how are you guys revising it? :/
Original post by SQA
Revising computing is sooo boringggggg, how are you guys revising it? :/

The way I study in general, is through past papers and then if I get bored of that I do some quick spider diagrams and whatever I forget I look over notes for.

Another good way of studying has been the Scholar website.
Reply 82
Original post by JonathanHan01
The way I study in general, is through past papers and then if I get bored of that I do some quick spider diagrams and whatever I forget I look over notes for.

Another good way of studying has been the Scholar website.

Ohh okey thanks:smile: , you revising loads?
I'm trying to, I'm going to make sure at first that I know all the fundamentals of each topic eg. Unit 1's Fetch Execute cycle and Unit 3(networking) OSI model and stuff like that, I'm going to try and make sure I can be as prepared as much as I can be, Computing Science isn't an easy subject to gain entry into, but then again not many great Uni courses are, haha!
Computing's going to pretty tough I think this year considering what the standard grade paper was like so yeah I'm not looking forward to it :frown:
And I can't motivate myself either to revise D:
Reply 85
It's so boring, don't know why I chose this subject :frown:
Computing is going to be a killer, but we will make sure we can survive it, after all, how hard can the sqa make a paper if you have gone by the arrangements docz..?
Reply 87
It really is incredibly boring.. I tried to to an AI section earlier and it was so incredibly boring! I did about 2 or 3 questions and just gave up :/

I found SG fairly easy, but this year is a lot harder and much more boring :frown: I can't believe I took it next year!
See am confused :frown:
when you go on youtube, it says 'buffering' which then after the video is played. Why does it not say 'spooling'..? Because spooling is much effective and can handle more data as the data is placed on the hard drive, rather than an area of memory called 'buffer' in which is limited in size..?
Original post by Amazing-Boy-Umar
Why does it not say 'spooling'..? Because spooling is much effective and can handle more data as the data is placed on the hard drive, rather than an area of memory called 'buffer' in which is limited in size..?

A few main reasons:

An entire YouTube video will easily fit in memory

We don't care about persistence (keeping data through a crash or reboot)

Buffering is a more general term than spooling

(There are others.)

More generally, it's a good idea to take anything in the SQA Computing courses with an enormous pinch of salt. There are a great many oversimplifications for perceived pedagogical benefits, as well as a fair number of outright falsehoods.
Original post by TheUnbeliever
A few main reasons:

An entire YouTube video will easily fit in memory

We don't care about persistence (keeping data through a crash or reboot)

Buffering is a more general term than spooling

(There are others.)

More generally, it's a good idea to take anything in the SQA Computing courses with an enormous pinch of salt. There are a great many oversimplifications for perceived pedagogical benefits, as well as a fair number of outright falsehoods.

thanks bro, aand yeah a guess these things like buffering go beyond higher level, like university level and stuff. Buh my knowledge of spooling and stuff is limited sadly :frown:.
Thanks for that, you seem soo pro at computing :biggrin: !
Reply 91
Not revised once for Computing. Got a D in the prelim but i have Physics tomorrow, Business on Wednesday and then this the next day. FML
Reply 92
Literally screwed for this exam. I done SG Computing and got a 3 and 2 for practical. I wanted to do Higher PC Passport but was denied this because my teacher thought I was capable for Higher Computing, so I thought I'll give it a go. For the prelim I got 19%. I asked my teacher if I could leave the subject said no. For the coursework I got 39 but I know I am going to do so bad on this exam on Thursday.
I reached a B in my prelim, however it is nothing to over compensate for, anything can happen in this exam. Juat done section 1 of the 2009 past paper got 20/30 quite good I think, Section 2 is usually where I drop marks ;___;

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my R800i
Reply 94
Be confident! We'll do it well :smile:

Btw does anyone know any questions that always comes up in the last exams?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95
Binary and hexidecimal conversion, how do you convert 8 bits twos compliment into binary?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 96
Original post by MattZING
Binary and hexidecimal conversion, how do you convert 8 bits twos compliment into binary?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

2s complement is in binary is it not? Do you mean 2s complement to decimal? In that case it's the same as going from decimal to 2s complement- get binary of +ve number, flip bits, add 1
Reply 97
Original post by MattZING

How I have done a question from 2010 is...

So..

1 + 2 + 0 + 0 + 16 + 0 + 64 + -128 = -45
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SQA
Be confident! We'll do it well :smile:

Btw does anyone know any questions that always comes up in the last exams?

well the best way is too look at the external assesors report thingy on computing where it tells you where people go wrong mostly. This is a favourite for the sqa, as they can target questions that people find most difficult or confusing, so its always good to have an idea of what type of questions people struggle with and become pro at them.
Reply 99
This is on Thursday and that is a terrifying thought. Still, multimedia ain't too bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending