The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2012 <strong><font

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr M
No. You were supposed to demonstrate understanding of Pythagoras' Theorem (in traditional or trigonometric form) and the definitions of sin, cos and tan as well as appreciating the difference between exact and approximate values.

for this question i dint draw a triangle, i used the fact that sinA/cosA = tanA and then squared bothe sides to get and equation in cos, i got the right andwers but my methd was clearly over complicated, would i still get the method mark?
Original post by tooambitious
for this question i dint draw a triangle, i used the fact that sinA/cosA = tanA and then squared bothe sides to get and equation in cos, i got the right andwers but my methd was clearly over complicated, would i still get the method mark?

yes that's fine
Original post by Mr M
yes that's fine

Phew, thanks :smile:
Reply 363
Original post by hassi94
You didn't show an understanding of sohcahtoa, basically.

Ohh ok. Do you think I'd get a(ny) mark(s) for getting the decimal answer?
Original post by ChrissM
Ohh ok. Do you think I'd get a(ny) mark(s) for getting the decimal answer?

Odd how you take on what I said yet you give me a thumbs down :rolleyes:

I don't know, personally. I'd trust Mr. M's judgement on this kind of thing. If in doubt, forget about it and wait until results day.
Reply 365
Maybe check with your examination officer, although the acripts will have been sent by now so there may never be anyway to know for sure, unless you orde yor original script on results day

The questions are on a seperate booklet, not the answer booklet, I don't know if they send the question booklets back to the examining board or not. :/
Original post by Kabelan1
The questions are on a seperate booklet, not the answer booklet, I don't know if they send the question booklets back to the examining board or not. :/

Very good point, if not, be sure to check, some people at my school said minus as well...
Reply 367
Very good point, if not, be sure to check, some people at my school said minus as well...

Ok, Will do.
Reply 368
Original post by BobGreggary
I am almost certain that on question 1 it asked for "(3+2x)^5 - (3-2x)^5" since I remember making the point of taking the negative value of each my "(3-2x)^5", and therefore got 1620x+1440x^3+64x^5. Also, when I went back to check my answers towards the end I would like to think I would have noticed that type of mistake, since it was something I preparing for during my revision (since it was a common mistake I used to make).

Just out of curiosity though, would there be any marks given for misreading the question (if it was in fact misread)? Just that I recall reading somewhere that if it was a genuine misreading, and didn't affect the difficulty (which I don't think it did) some marks would still be given.

Thank you very much :-)

You didn't misread it, trust me on this.

I have the question paper beside me and it is definitely + on my copy!
Original post by Mr M
I have the question paper beside me and it is definitely + on my copy!

Mine too, but he should check just for peace of mind
Mine too, but he should check just for peace of mind

Can't you lot scan it or take a photo or something and upload it here for us all to see?
Reply 372
6)(ii) Sketch graph showing trapeziums under the curve (2 marks)

Mr M for this question, I drew the curve on both quadrants of the positive x axis and said how the integral will only give the area below the curve and the x axis so, the other area is not accounted for. How many marks will I get for the answer I have given.

For question, 9)b)i) I got an answer of 0<y<2, could you please tell me how you got a 1/2 and how many marks I would get for this question. Thanks.
Original post by MP1805
6)(ii) Sketch graph showing trapeziums under the curve (2 marks)

Mr M for this question, I drew the curve on both quadrants of the positive x axis and said how the integral will only give the area below the curve and the x axis so, the other area is not accounted for. How many marks will I get for the answer I have given.

For question, 9)b)i) I got an answer of 0<y<2, could you please tell me how you got a 1/2 and how many marks I would get for this question. Thanks.

The graph is only in one quadrant so your graph is wrong. No marks there.

Question 9 - one mark.

1<log2y<1-1<\log_2 y<1

21<y<212^{-1}<y<2^1
Reply 374
The graph is of y=4√x doesn't that mean the graph can be plotted on the other quadrant along negative y values e.g √16 = + or -4 therefore, y = 16 or -16?

Thanks for your fast reply and answers, really appreciate it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my A500
Reply 375
For question 2ii) i got c as -22 because i squared -3 instead of squaring 3 and subtracting it in the equation, i put all my method down though, how many marks do you think i will get?
Reply 376
In mark schemes, the +c is usually worth one mark and considering you only got an incorrect answer for that mark, you will only lose 1 mark. Bare in mind, this is what I think.

Reply 377
Original post by MP1805
In mark schemes, the +c is usually worth one mark and considering you only got an incorrect answer for that mark, you will only lose 1 mark. Bare in mind, this is what I think.

Thanks
Reply 378
No problem

Reply 379
Anyone else absolutely hate question 7? Don't want to be controversial but i think it was just stupid really, especially for 5 marks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending