The Student Room Group

OCR B (Advancing Physics) G492, 25th May 2012 Afternoon

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by BenjaminKyle
it should be 24.6kJ - and for the one after that, a) you used 40 when it should be in joules not kilojoules, and b) you use the 17kJ value for the work done ON THE PILE, not the TOTAL WORK DONE - 47N is tiny, the bloody thing has a mass of 2100kg - and is not going to fall with a tap lol

how dd you get 17 kj??
Reply 181
Ahhh bugger!! I put the length of an arm not the width!!!
Reply 182
it should be 24.6kJ - and for the one after that, a) you used 40 when it should be in joules not kilojoules, and b) you use the 17kJ value for the work done ON THE PILE, not the TOTAL WORK DONE - 47N is tiny, the bloody thing has a mass of 2100kg - and is not going to fall with a tap lol

lols, 47000 N, thats better :wink:
Reply 183
difference between the total work done and whatever the work was done when the piledriver fell the distance - the only work the piledriver actually did on the pile was when it was moving it the 0.85m, it wasn't doing work on the pile whilst falling and gaining K.E

oh, uldnt work out the total work done
Original post by KoalaKim
Edited!!!!

I remember getting 5311 kgm-3 for the mean of the 6 results that I think was right...
Reply 185
Predicted boundaries:

150UMS- 84
A-72
B-64
C-57
D-49
E-42

dunno what everyone thinks :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by mathsguy
Predicted boundaries:

150UMS- 84
A-72
B-64
C-57
D-49
E-42

how did you find out what 100 UMS was in the past papers?
Reply 187
I think that exam had the easiest questions on it ever. HOWEVER - there were so many of them and they were all fricking pointless. PILEDRIVERS! OCR! come on I want to answer questions on Physics not Maths Mechanics - that exam is next week.

Also. Who managed to finish it with alot of time to spare? I just finished it.
Original post by Lucozad
Damn, I did the resolving questions last, and I have done it totally wrong, I got 5.8 for one of my values and 4.8 for the other one.

:biggrin: I got the same!! accept I put the y value as minus because it was going down

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 189
Hmm. The piledriver question: for b), I think I calculated the work done on the pile by the weight as: (1.2+0.85)*2100*g; then divided this by 0.85 in c) to calculate the average force. Does that sound about right? can't remember the question :/

Edit: Nevermind; it was a 'show that' question, and the answer yield 42kJ, so I think it's right :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I thought that was a very nice paper; it had plenty of questions where you had to "show" something, which are always good as you know if you've got them right or wrong. It also had a fair bit of Maths (i.e. the roundabout question). That said, I know a lot of people in my 6th form hated it and the grade boundaries will likely be quite low.

Also, a shout-out on question 3, to whomever posted it earlier:

The answers were B, C, D. V = F x Lambda, therefore F = V/Lambda so the answer was Y = K/X, so C is the correct answer, not A.
Original post by tallguitarist
did anyone else remember getting the accelerations as -2.34 horizontally and -6.43 vertically? thanks, thought it was a good paper overall though

I got my X-acceleration as -2 and Y-acceleration as -5, with both answers to the nearest integers. To one decimal place they were -1.8 and -4.8, respectively.
Reply 192
did anyone else remember getting the accelerations as -2.34 horizontally and -6.43 vertically? thanks, thought it was a good paper overall though

No, but I can tell you those are definitely not right:

Initially, car is travelling 12 m/s horizontally to the right; i.e. 0 m/s vertical and +12 m/s horizontal.

After 1.6 seconds, the horizontal component is 12cos(40); the vertical component is -12sin(40).

So horizontal acceleration is (12cos(40)-12)/1.6)=-1.8 m/s^2;
Vertical acceleration is (-12sin(40)-0)/1.6=-4.8 m/s^2.
Original post by mathsguy
Predicted boundaries:

150UMS- 84
A-72
B-64
C-57
D-49
E-42

Those grade boundaries can't exist! If it is 72 for an A and 64 for a B, then the UMS cap must be:
72 + (72-64) * 2
which is 88!
Original post by Joel R
No, but I can tell you those are definitely not right:

Initially, car is travelling 12 m/s horizontally to the right; i.e. 0 m/s vertical and +12 m/s horizontal.

After 1.6 seconds, the horizontal component is 12cos(40); the vertical component is -12sin(40).

So horizontal acceleration is (12cos(40)-12)/1.6)=-1.8 m/s^2;
Vertical acceleration is (-12sin(40)-0)/1.6=-4.8 m/s^2.

**** i read the question wrong, i did all that except divided by 1.2 instead of 1.6... aghh, u think thats only one mark lost if i showed what i was doing clearly?
(edited 11 years ago)
BTW since everyone seems to feel bad about this exam, I shall make you feel better by telling you about the mistakes I made!
For estimating the mass of a human, I put the highest value which iirc was 1000 kg! I wasn't thinking lol.
On the question where you had to equate g.p.e. and k.e. to find the relationship between v and g.p.e. I worked it out correctly but then got the x and y mixed up so got the wrong answer (can someone confirm - which was g.p.e. and which was speed?).
I got the entire microwave question wrong (10 - 11 marks!) because I thought they created a standing wave.
I left loads of questions 'mostly done', promising myself that I would get back to them at the end, but I only had 10 minutes left at the end so I couldn't go back to 'dot the is and cross the ts' so I reckon I lost up to 10 marks that way.
I guessed much of section C as I didn't know what they were looking for.
I made so many mistakes I can't even remembe them all! Overall, I think I lost at least 30 mars.
I do have some suggestions (which I am pretty confident in) for the roundabout an hammer questions if anyone wants me to post them (I disagree with much of what has been posted so far about these questions).
BTW most people in my colleg walked out the exam saying it was easy! I found it to be my worst exam since GCSE German! I hope I don't have to drop physics because of this. My unit 1 was pretty bad too but thankfully I got 29/30 for the coursework so that could save me.
Reply 196
Original post by asif1995malik
I remember getting 5311 kgm-3 for the mean of the 6 results that I think was right...

I got that. well something was recurring and you kno how the exam board loves their significant figures :frown:
Reply 197
**** i read the question wrong, i did all that except divided by 1.2 instead of 1.6... aghh, u think thats only one mark lost if i showed what i was doing clearly?

I'd say so: mark schemes usually deduct one mark for 'misread' or 'slip'.
Very little mechanics, not good :frown: I answered every one, but I think I made a silly error on the pile driver question.
Reply 199
Original post by When you see it...
I got the entire microwave question wrong (10 - 11 marks!) because I thought they created a standing wave.

If you use the standing wave argument correctly (and this mark scheme is the same as previous ones), then you will get the marks for the first question. After all, that's pretty much what it is.

If you used it for the following questions, I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending