The Student Room Group

D1 24th May 2012 (Post here if your doing the exam)

Scroll to see replies

Part i was drawing up the graph and part ii was saying who went in which session right? And part iii was why couldn't someone doing D1 and M1 be fitted into the two sessions? Yeah, that took quite a while for me to get tbh, I had to come back after the algorithm.
Original post by Tateco
It just wasn't enough time at all. That simplex took me at least 10 minutes, closer to 15!

I easily took 15! ended up running out of time to answer the 2 mark part of the last question because of it. I dont even think i was reaaaallly slow, i was just trying to be careful as i have a habit of messing up simple arithmetic. I dont think it was a nice paper at all, not because of the difficulty but because of the tedious calculations scattered throughout
Did anyone answer 6i) It was IMPOSIBRUUUUUUU!

I spent 20 minutes on it. -_- went up to the 6th pass through checked everything and still no answer
Reply 63
Original post by mathsman77
I easily took 15! ended up running out of time to answer the 2 mark part of the last question because of it. I dont even think i was reaaaallly slow, i was just trying to be careful as i have a habit of messing up simple arithmetic. I dont think it was a nice paper at all, not because of the difficulty but because of the tedious calculations scattered throughout

It normally takes me 45-60 minutes to do a Maths paper (doesn't matter what it is, core or applied units) but this took the piss, I actually didn't have enough time to do what I wanted to do which is a rarity. Hated it!
Original post by Tateco
It normally takes me 45-60 minutes to do a Maths paper (doesn't matter what it is, core or applied units) but this took the piss, I actually didn't have enough time to do what I wanted to do which is a rarity. Hated it!

Yeah same here, i did the stats today as well that was complete in under 60 minutes, C2 last week was around the 50 minute mark and C1 was about 40! My college have been requesting reading time for D1 papers for years and I can see why now. I think they are actually making a joke of this, its no wonder Uni's prefer anything else to this module.
Reply 65
I personally thought that along with it being the most difficult D1 paper to date, the marks were unfairly distributed.

I mean the simplex was THREE marks per iteration and each iteration probably took me about 6 minutes.
And the first question?!? Took me about 10 minutes to figure out all the arc lengths due to the crossroads and it was only 2 marks.
Completely messed up question 6. Only good question was the route inspection question (5 I think).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was about 50% for an A.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by |Alex
I personally thought that along with it being the most difficult D1 paper to date, the marks were unfairly distributed.

I mean the simplex was THREE marks per iteration and each iteration probably took me about 6 minutes.
And the first question?!? Took me about 10 minutes to figure out all the arc lengths due to the crossroads and it was only 2 marks.
Completely messed up question 6. Only good question was the route inspection question (5 I think).

OCR have got some nerve to not just keep doing traditional papers :s-smilie:
Original post by Kirity
Did anyone answer 6i) It was IMPOSIBRUUUUUUU!

I spent 20 minutes on it. -_- went up to the 6th pass through checked everything and still no answer

6i) only had two passes to get the correct answer, you must have done something wrong. Did you read the 'If W - X is between -0.05 and 0.05' as 'if W is between -0.05 and 0.05'? Quite a lot of people made that mistake, and I think that would've caused that many passes.
Reply 68
Original post by |Alex

im hoping for that low, i dont think i even got that :/ and i was getting like full marks on the past papers.....

i even messed up the Linear Programming which tells you something
Reply 69
Original post by icy elemental
6i) only had two passes to get the correct answer, you must have done something wrong. Did you read the 'If W - X is between -0.05 and 0.05' as 'if W is between -0.05 and 0.05'? Quite a lot of people made that mistake, and I think that would've caused that many passes.

what was your answer for part 6)i
Reply 70
Original post by BIG Y
what was your answer for part 6)i

Answer is -0.174559 :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Wahrheit
Answer is -0.174559 :smile:

I think you'll find (if you check the other D1 thread) that the answer is actually -0.20 after two iterations.
I can't remember off the top of my head :/

-0.200 sounds familiar though
If anyone's interested if you factorise the cubic, the actual factors are:

2.087279705146485 + 1.1713121110008873 i
2.087279705146485 - 1.1713121110008873 i
Reply 74
Original post by FK_
I think you'll find (if you check the other D1 thread) that the answer is actually -0.20 after two iterations.

are you sure

thank GOD I ACTUALLY GOT SOME FRICKING MARKS :smile: out of interest are there any other answers on that thread could you link us?

cheers buddy you just made my day (thats how bad i messed up this exam)
Reply 75
Original post by FK_

Yeah I did 6 iterations though because I'm a boss

That means you performed the algorithm wrong :P
Reply 78
Original post by BIG Y
are you sure

thank GOD I ACTUALLY GOT SOME FRICKING MARKS :smile: out of interest are there any other answers on that thread could you link us?

cheers buddy you just made my day (thats how bad i messed up this exam)

You're welcome ...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2010673&page=5&p=37733691#post37733691
Reply 79

Out of curiosity, is that meant to be sarcastic ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending