The Student Room Group

When do you actually start uni? Confusion

Both my firm (Lancaster) and my insurance (York) start on Monday 1st of October. Is that the start of freshers week or lectures?
When do you go down that day or a day or two in advance?

I need to know so my dad can get time of work.

Thanks
Reply 1
Look on their websites and they will have term dates that will tell you
It says it starts on the Friday 5th of October. So i guess the week beginning the 1st is freshers week but it still doesn't say if I have to go down there on the 1st or before. When we took my sister to uni they went down two days before. In the undergraduate booklet it says end of September/ beginning of October.
It depends on the uni.

I was a fresher at York last year, freshers week started on 11th October, and I went down on the 9th I think (maybe the 10th). There were a number of slots though, each college had a couple of time slots where different blocks/courts would move in. These slots were spread out over the weekend, so some moved in on the Saturday, some on the Sunday.

Other universities have different procedures though.

EDIT: You should get more information nearer to the time, but if you need to know now and can't find anything on the website, then send an email to the uni, college/halls deans/provosts etc...
(edited 11 years ago)
It says it starts on the Friday 5th of October. So i guess the week beginning the 1st is freshers week but it still doesn't say if I have to go down there on the 1st or before. When we took my sister to uni they went down two days before. In the undergraduate booklet it says end of September/ beginning of October.
Thanks anyway. Hopefully he will be able to get time off when they tell me.
Thanks
Original post by Animal-cat-lover
Both my firm (Lancaster) and my insurance (York) start on Monday 1st of October. Is that the start of freshers week or lectures?
When do you go down that day or a day or two in advance?

I need to know so my dad can get time of work.

Thanks

Move in day will be either the Saturday 29th or Sunday 30th September in Lancaster, depending on which college you get in to. They'll let you know nearer the time, but it'll definitely be one or the other. Then you'll have Freshers' week, and lectures will start on Monday 8th October. Not sure about York though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending