The Student Room Group

Do you think I can apply for dentistry?

When I first joined S5, I was new to Scotland and so, I didn’t know anything about the education system and unfortunately, my school wasn’t much help in actually helping me understand how things work and when I’ll apply to uni. Throughout the year I was so sure I wanted to do medicine but as the year went by I was unsure since I doubted I’d be able to get the grades needed. I picked higher bio, maths, chem, ESOL and computing and I couldn’t change computing and it was my worst subject. When I went to my careers advisor she just kept telling me to wait till my grades came out and refused to have a convo with me about uni till the start of S6. I got my grades: A in higher bio, maths, ESOL, a B in chemistry, and a no award in Computing. I am appealing chemistry as I was a mark off an A according to my chemistry teacher. When I went to my careers advisor she told me I would be able to apply to dentistry in Glasgow uni and honestly, I would love to do dentistry, however, by the time she told me, it was already past mid August. I have managed to book a UCAT test which is three hours away from Glasgow, I have no irl work experience nor volunteering. The only work experience I have is from JP Morgan, I did the DofE but volunteered with babysitting my sister and I have been MVP trained. I have nothing to write about in my personal statement and I don’t feel confident in sitting the UCAT. Additionally, I dont think that an AAAB is enough as dentistry is quite competitive. My S6 subjects are AH Bio, AH maths, higher business and higher history. What do I do? Do I take a gap year and reapply? Or do I do my best at the UCAT which is exactly 6 days away ? I’m really confused but I really really want to go to university next year and I don’t know what to do, my school is literally no help at all.

Quick Reply

Latest