The Student Room Group

A level choices and career hopes- care to share?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jcao03
ahh thanks! :smile: yeah, definitely! I'm going to start doing a lot more research into it, and maybe publishing? I'm not too sure yet. It just makes things harder when you don't know exactly the career path you want to take because I've got to start doing work experience now if I want to have a chance of getting a career in it later. I do btec music and Spanish. Dropped chemistry because I didn't enjoy it but I'm glad I take Spanish because although I've just dropped my chances of having a career in science, Spanish will open many doors haha. Btec music wont really get me anywhere, that subject is just for fun really. What journalism are you thinking of?

Your welcome :smile: Ah okay, publishing sounds cool. Oh lovely! I love spanish and music! Yeah that's true actually, I was doing some research and a journalist that knows a foreign language is a good one, so chances are that you'll be a great journo :smile: Urm...I was thinking of writing. I would love to write for the guardian, and I don't want to do broadcasting, but I'm still wondering :redface:
literature, sociology, RE, art and german.

hoping to be a fashion editor.
Reply 302
Chemistry, Mathematics, History and Physics. I'll drop whichever one out of Physics and History I do worst in. I wanna study Chemistry at uni :smile:
Reply 303
Maths, ICT and Sociology.
Computer Science at uni.
I'm planning to take biology, chemistry, physics and English literature in hope that Incan soon carry on to become a doctor later on :redface:
Reply 305
Planning on taking Computing, Economics, Math(s) and Physics at A level and hope to go on to an Ivy league university in america if all goes well so i can study law and become an attorney, lack of interest in some GCSE subjects like literature is pulling my grades down though :frown: Am also considering a career in something to do with tech/programming
Planning on taking Maths, F.Maths, Physics and Biology, then at A2 I plan on dropping either F.Maths or Biology depending on which I have the best grades for and after I'm done with that I hope to study Computer Science at University and hopefully get a job in software/game development.
Only decided my options last week.

Biology
Chemistry
English Literature
Religious Studies

For Medicine :smile:
Reply 308
I chose

Music
Music Tech
Psychology
Politics

I want to go into Music Technology however i don't really know what career opportunities it can lead to.
I think I'm taking English literature, sociology, philosophy and psychology. Hopefully going to do English literature and sociology at university (Durham!)... Either this career or a journalist....
Reply 310
Maths
F Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Maths degree, investment banking
Reply 311
I'm taking biology, chemistry, maths and French (dropping French next year) hoping to do medicine at university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 312
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
History
Environmental studies (dropped last two at AS)

Hoping to do veterinary medicine if I meet my offer :smile:
Reply 313
Original post by my fifty
I don't know what to take! :s-smilie: I'm a really indecisive person and doubt my capability. In the past few months I have thought about doing:

Law and becoming a Solicitor-However, I'm not sure if this is "deep" enough, I want a career that turns me on :colondollar:

Veterinary Medicine-I am interested in this and am predicted all A*s in the separate three sciences. The only drawback would be that there is a HUGE amount of competition due to there only being 7 med schools and I read somewhere that in A level Biology you need to remember 20 times as much as at GCSE and besides, my Biology teacher couldn't predicted me an A at A level

Economics-Again, this isn't meaty enough

Nursing and Medicine-I'm not good enough for medicine and I feel being a nurse I wouldn't have the amount of responsibility and independence I desire.

What A levels should I pick! :/
Do you think History, Chemistry, Biology and then what else? :confused: I'm not that good at Maths, I'm only in set 3b (the 4th set) and I'm only predicted an A, I got one off an A* in a recent test

Firstly, from what you've said you sound like you would be good enough for medicine or veterinary medicine as long as you work hard during AS. If you think you could apply for veterinary medicine than you are definitely good enough to apply for medicine as vet med is even harder to get into! I know veterinary medicine is very competitive but that shouldn't stop you from applying for a course you would love to do. I think your choices so far are good and it really doesn't matter if you don't do Maths unless you really want to go to Cambridge (and even then you could still apply without maths). I did biology, chemistry, maths, history and environmental studies for AS and I now gave an offer for veterinary medicine which Maths was not necessary for. I know many other vet med applicants without Maths who also have offers. Choose something you enjoy and are reasonably good at, for example english, another humanity or a language. My biggest piece if advice is not to do maths just because you feel like you should as you will probably regret it.
I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and biology. I want to go on to study physics or a joint honours maths & physics degree.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Reply 315
Original post by rystaman
I chose

Music
Music Tech
Psychology
Politics

I want to go into Music Technology however i don't really know what career opportunities it can lead to.

perhaps this'll give you a few ideas https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobfamily/Pages/perfartsbroadcastandmedia.aspx
Posted a while back but what I've wanted to do has changed a bit. Taking French, Politics and history at A2, taking a year out and then hopefully doing history or history and politics at uni :smile:
Reply 317
I'm currently studying biology, chemistry, maths and French.
I'd honestly love to be a biology/chemistry/French teacher at a secondary school or sixth form college - I'd probably do either biology or chemistry with French combined at university. Got such a passion for teaching science.
On the other hand, I'd love to do medicine as I really love human biology and love working with people. I'm really unsure whether to just go for it - people are forever telling me to.

It's a shame there aren't that many career prospects in science. I think scientists get paid too little, in the UK anyway, for the work they do. I know it's not all about the money but a lot of scientists have thousands of pounds worth of university debt to pay off which is something that worries me about going for a career in science.
Psychology, History, Philosophy & Ethics, English Lit and I'll probably go into something to do with Psychology or Law as a career.
I have took Biology, Chemistry, Maths, R.S and probably an Extended Project related to Chemistry or Biology.

Always been interested in the sciences and also R.S.
Hopefully, with the grades, I'll go to Uni to do Molecular Medicine or Chemical Engineering and doing a PhD and then research :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest