The Student Room Group

Applying to uni questions

Hello Everyone!

I am applying to Uni where I have been offered ABB for my firm choice and 104 UCAS points for my insurance. I have just finished my A-levels and believe that I am going to get ABC/D due to one of them going very badly. Therefore, I would get into my insurance choice but not firm, which is somewhere I am very very keen on going and not so much my insurance.
I was looking for opinions as to whether resitting this singular A-Level is worth it, waiting another year to resit putting more time and money into it when I could just get started with my degree?
In addition to this, someone mentioned to me that universities might frown upon having A-Levels from different years as it shows I couldn't cope with the workload and might reject me as a result?

Any feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Reply 1
You'd have to contact the admissions team for a specific university course to find out if they'd care about the A level being from a differnt year, but hopefuly this will put your mind at ease:

I study at a top 15 UK russell group uni, part of a department which provides some of the best research in the country in its field. My friend retook one of his A-Levels, got an A, reapplied and got in. They didn't care at all. They get great grades and are on track for a first. You'll be fine.

It's important to note that provided that you're living at home with your parents, taking a year out before uni is not going to cost you more money. once you've studied your a** off for your exams and got that A grade which I know you can get, you get a job and save like mad for uni. This is going to be one of the best things you'll do for yourself in your academic career. Uni is incredibly expenisve and a bit of a money pit. You're going to be paying for things you didn't even know existed. Having a break from education is also great for your mental health as long as you keep up with hobbies and maintain a support network of friends as uni is going to be incredibly draining and tough socially and academically.

A good third of people I know at uni did not come straight from sixth form or college, no one will care about the age!

Good luck!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
I think you are getting ahead of yourself here. Its good to think of options but nothing is certain yet. You might have done better than you think, or you might have dropped a grade and your first choice still offers you the place, if they have spaces after results day.

If you don't get in and you decide that this is literally the only course for you and you want to retake, then the advice above is good. You can also begin to follow the courses on UCAS showing who has places to see if clearing would offer similar courses to the one you like, at lower grades.

Hope it works out!
Reply 3
Original post by ziggy03
You'd have to contact the admissions team for a specific university course to find out if they'd care about the A level being from a differnt year, but hopefuly this will put your mind at ease:

I study at a top 15 UK russell group uni, part of a department which provides some of the best research in the country in its field. My friend retook one of his A-Levels, got an A, reapplied and got in. They didn't care at all. They get great grades and are on track for a first. You'll be fine.

It's important to note that provided that you're living at home with your parents, taking a year out before uni is not going to cost you more money. once you've studied your a** off for your exams and got that A grade which I know you can get, you get a job and save like mad for uni. This is going to be one of the best things you'll do for yourself in your academic career. Uni is incredibly expenisve and a bit of a money pit. You're going to be paying for things you didn't even know existed. Having a break from education is also great for your mental health as long as you keep up with hobbies and maintain a support network of friends as uni is going to be incredibly draining and tough socially and academically.

A good third of people I know at uni did not come straight from sixth form or college, no one will care about the age!

Good luck!

Thank you very much for this ziggy! This is massively reassuring, I really appreciate it :smile:
Wishing you all the best at uni!
Reply 4
Original post by totallyfine
I think you are getting ahead of yourself here. Its good to think of options but nothing is certain yet. You might have done better than you think, or you might have dropped a grade and your first choice still offers you the place, if they have spaces after results day.

If you don't get in and you decide that this is literally the only course for you and you want to retake, then the advice above is good. You can also begin to follow the courses on UCAS showing who has places to see if clearing would offer similar courses to the one you like, at lower grades.

Hope it works out!

Yes that is true, maybe I am getting a bit ahead of myself. Just wanted to be prepared for results day as I heard it can be quite stressful, not getting in and not being sure where you want to go from there.
I will have a look around on UCAS as well.
Thank you for the advice!
Reply 5
Original post by user_123498762
Thank you very much for this ziggy! This is massively reassuring, I really appreciate it :smile:
Wishing you all the best at uni!

No worries!, Take things easy now, you're never going to have another time in your time to have a break from your career like this. Working, saving and doing some light solo travelling is going to be a great change of pace.

See you on the other side !
Reply 6
You haven't even got your results yet - stop panicking until you need to do something, otherwise the next few months of waiting are going to drive you nuts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending